“Not that great”

Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown
Ranked #81 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Along with being charged a daily parking fee of 19 CAD plus GST, which is the apparent norm at most if not all hotels in Vancouver downtown, in a cramped lot that was only accessible through a cramped city alleyway, I have a few reasons to regret the choice of my 7-day hotel stay at the Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown. In my booked room, the closet space was impracticably small and there was no iron with ironing board nor was there any refrigerator/freezer, thus complicating my stay. On top of that problem, there was no breakfast option of any sort offered at the hotel, so I had to purchase a breakfast every morning at another establishment, which was another drain on my travelling money. If I had known these matters beforehand, I would have sacrificed paying some more money per night to reserve a stay with better facilities and conveniences.

Room Tip: Make sure to choose room with a sizeable closet space as well as a refrigerator/freezer if possible!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SagarMPatel
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear SagarMPatel,
Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. As per our explanation upon check in and check out, if you decide to bid for your room online, you don't know till you make the booking, where are you staying and what is included in the price of the room till the end. Cheapest the most basic room will be picked for you based on the price you put into your bidding and online system will find a room for you based on your budget criteria.If you are staying for 1 night, it might not be a problem, BUT if you are staying for 7 nights it is highly recommended not to book rooms this way, because you might find yourself regretting your decision like you are doing right now. We do have fridges,we do have bed and breakfast specials, at additional cost, just like everybody else, and it is upto our guests to decide what they would like, upgrade or stay in the room they originally booked. Yes indeed, 19$ parking fee is a going rate all around us, $ 19 is the cheapest, some hotels charge even more, because they only have valet parking for their guests.
Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Hello, the location of this Hotel is perfect, cause everything we need, we get!
I like that stay there and have to say that personal stuff was really professional :D it was really nice to be so far from Europe and hear also my native language with very friendly, helpful and nice Milo and Mrs. Zuzana Receptionists and also have to say thank you for good tips for trips, we have really enjoyed that! :)

So have a nice time and when I come back, I m gonna definitely spend my stay there:)

Dekujem a jen tak dal, at se dari :) Lucie a Raphael cz&ch

Room Tip: I had the quite one on the south side and it was cool :D
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucie286

Dear Lucie286,
thank you very much for your review and thank you for staying with us. Glad to hear you were able to enjoy our location and our staff that brought a little bit of home for you away from home. Have fun travelling this summer and hope to see you again in near future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

During our trip to the west coast, we spent 3 nights at this hotel. Service from the staff was pretty good and they were friendly. Attached restaurant served average food but again staff were friendly. Our room was in a corner of the hotel with no views and a very small window covered over 1/2 with an in window air conditioner. The room was therefore very dark. We also had the feeling while sleeping that the room was somewhat slanted. The location of the hotel offered us easy access to the BIG Bus hop on hop off, which we enjoyed for 2 days. Lots of restaurants in the area as well. Would not be our selected hotel the next time we were in Vancouver.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BobK061

Dear BobK061,
thank you for staying with us and tahnk you for your review. As explained upon check in, we do have rooms with big windows and lot's of daylight at the front of the hotel, that some guests might find them noisy, depending on what they are used to. Back rooms are quiet BUT have less light due to the building located right across from the alley. Anytime we have lot's of rooms to chose from, we give our guests the choice to decide for themselves. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your choice. Please, anytime, anywhere in any hotel you don't like your room, all is needed is a phone call to the front desk and new room can be provided for you. Do not hestiate to call, all front desk agents like hearing from guests right away and being able to fix anything that you might not like in your room. I'm happy to hear you found all staff friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was impressed with the friendliness of the gentleman on duty when I arrived. My flight arrived early in the morning so I went to the hotel to see about checking in even though their check-in was not until 3pm. He said he had nothing available right then but as soon as he did, he would let me know. At noon, he informed me he could get me into a room. I was thrilled, great start to my trip! The next day, I requested a room with two beds and again they were very accomodating. Overall, I was very pleased with my stay including the rooms which were clean, comfortable and affordable allowing me a lot of breathing room to do other fun stuff in the city. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear 547Canege,
Thank you very much for staying with us and thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we were able to make it extra easy for you.
Thank you for your business, hope to see you again.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

After a really long flight from Perth, I arrived at the Howard Johnson at 10pm. As I was checking in the lady behind the desk was incredibly rude and has no people skills whatsoever. I made my way up to my room, which was on the first floor. The corridors, bedroom and stairwell all reaked. My room was right across from the car park, right next to Granville Street, across the way from a nightclub. I was afraid of opening the window as I didn't really want to have any unwanted visitors in the night and being right under the car park anyone could have jumped in.
I had a wonderful nights sleep that night with not one minute of shut eye.I was wide awake at 445am and I could not tolerate another minute of being in the hotel, I called the Best Western Plus Chateau Granville (which is only 200m away) and booked a hotel room for the rest of my stay and it was brilliant.
There were no easily accessible power sockets to charge up my mobile and when I did find one it was coming out of the wall. I couldn't even bring myself to have a shower as I was appalled.
I don't recommend this hotel to anyone, it is really old and dated and I don't think it deserves a 3.5 star rating, maybe a 2.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Lila H
Hojovan, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Lila H,
Thank you ver much for your review.
I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. I'm surprised by your comments about desk clerk who checked you in, I only recieve positive comments about her, however, I will review the video of your check in with her and comment if necessary on her attitude.
I remain puzzled about your comments on the discription of your room. Your room was sitated across the parking lot, it was not on Granville street /its either or/ and our nightlub is closed for renovations for 4 months now, and there are only restaurants around us and those are closed by 11pm anyways, especially on slow Monday night. None of our rooms are on ground level, 1st floor is actaully 2 floors up, because we have what is called a mezzanine level, so it is between lobby and 1 st floor, and there is no way, somebody could "jump " into your room, since windows only open a little bit. If and when guests are unsatisfied with their rooms, we love to hear from them. Help is only a phone call away. I do understand that some single travellers don't feel comfortable in certain places, we do have many rooms to chose from and depend on our guests to let us know, if our help is needed. I'm sorry to hear that you did not call us and let us know how you feel, so we could fix it right away and keep you as our guests and don't ahve you leaving unsatisfied.

Reviewed 22 June 2014