“Great staff but in dire need of a refurb”

Ranked #82 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Let's start with the good : the staff. Every one who dealt with us was great and very helpful. The beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. It's also centrally located for all touristic things.
However, I cannot give a better rating as the rooms need a revamp. The room we had was cramped, the carpet stained and the window opened onto a wall about a metre away from it. Would not have stayed there more than a day or two.
The breakfast room was too small for the number of people trying to use it and the choice very basic! Wish I'd known that as despite it being included in the price of the room, I would have found a cafe or restaurant for my breakfast.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Rajiv S, Director of Sales at Ramada Vancouver Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Frederic,

We would like to thank you and your family for your recent stay and for taking time to review the hotel.

We appreciate your comments. We are very proud of the professionalism of our team and we will be taking your comments into account this week as we plan our fall restyling.

We hope to better serve you on a future trip through Vancouver

Ramada Vancouver Downtown

Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ramada on Granville St on 3 occasions within 2 weeks for a total of 7 days and found the hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They helped us plan trips to Victoria and Grouse Mountain and upgraded us to a suite on our last visit. The rooms were all of a good size, clean with excellent beds and linen.
We were concerned at first about possible noise from the bars close by but there was none even on a Saturday night. We were on the 4th, 5th and 6th floors and had no problems sleeping.
The hotel is centrally located and it was an easy walk to the metro or to catch the bus. There were also lots of cafes and restaurants to choose from.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be quieter
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Susan S,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and for your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback and your advise to future travelers. Our hotel had become a much quieter location with the closure of Ginger 62 nightclub and new plans for the space. I am so glad our team was able to assist you with your travel planning and each of your 3 stays was positive.

We look forward to serving you again on a future trip through Vancouver

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was my first visit to a Northern American City, so maybe this is why I was so shocked. The hotel itself was pretty basic, but was clean. The rooms were a good size, and the bedding was crisp. Our bedroom looked onto the back of the building so was quite quite (apart from the shouting of youths during the night). However, it was the walk to the hotel that was not a pleasant experience. I am a young woman, and I was travelling with a group of other young people and I can safely say that none of us expected to see so many homeless people and beggars scattered along the street the hotel was on. We only stayed one night, and were planning on going out in Vancouver, but after seeing where the hotel was positioned we all felt uncomfortable and vulnerable. The street was also filfthy, with cigarette butts everywhere. Really not a pleasant area of Vancouver. The transport links into the city are superb, so I would recommend travellers to find a hotel perhaps a little bit further out from the city to avoid streets like these.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Beccat01,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking time to review the hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and we are sorry you did not feel comfortable in our area. The Granville Entertainment District can definitely be a new experience for one who has not traveled to the west coast of North America. Being a fairly warm city year round, we share a similar problem with cities up and down the coast from Seattle, to Portland to San Francisco to Los Angeles and San Diego. It's a great place to live if you are homeless and prefer the street to shelters. While the Entertainment District is where you were staying, these issues is found throughout our city well beyond our immediate area. We do appreciate hearing your feedback so we can pass it on to the city.

We hope that the rest of your trip was more relaxed for you and that we may better serve you on a future trip to our area.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at the Ramada, 1221 Granville Street for 3 nights at the beginning of June & had a great stay. My visit was split over 2 rooms....

First 2 nights - Room 120 - King room. The room was a decent size, clean and perfect for one (or two). The room offered complimentary tea and coffee, & bottled water for $1.75 (per bottle). The bed was comfy, not hard at all, with LOTS of pillows. The room was equipped with a free safe, iron & board, TV, Air Con/heating system, lots of storage and the usual complimentary bathroom toiletries. No mini fridge. My only comment on this room was that you could hear the bar out front at night time, it wasn't ridiculously noisy but I'm a very light sleeper and it was audible. That said it wasn't bad enough to complain and only disturbed me on the Saturday night.
My third night I moved to room 211 as I was joined by 3 friends and this room offered 2 double beds and a sofa bed. Again, the room was equipped with a free safe, iron & board, TV, Air Con/heating system, lots of storage and the usual complimentary bathroom toiletries, as well as a little kitchenette & complimentary tea and coffee (no bottled water this time though). The same quality of bed and a lot quieter as it was higher up in the building.

Facilities at the hotel: Water, ice and vending machine on every other floor, free WiFi, restaurant & bar (which I didn't use) - the hotel doesn't offer room service & my room rate didn't have a breakfast included (not negatives just notes to consider). Another little niggle, was that the corridors smelt old, it wasn't over whelming but considering the modern clean reception area, the corridors could use a refurb to match the same quality.

Customer service: Fantastic! All really friendly, able to deal with any questions, booked me on to a trip to Vancouver Island without hesitation when I inquired. Prompt service too!

Location: great downtown location, quick access to Sunset Beach where you can follow a footpath all the way along Beach Avenue up to Stanley Park. Also a short 5 minute walk to Yaletown where you can find lots of restaurants and bars...would recommend Milestones & Cactus Club.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear KristyTea,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking time to review the hotel.

We appreciate your comments and your thorough and balanced review. We are quite happy with our progress in this century old building. I'm sorry you were missing bottled water in your new rooms upon change. I will make sure your comments are shared with each of our Management teams for follow-up.

We look forward to serving you again on a return trip through Vancouver

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is the 2nd time my husband and i have stayed in the Ramada on Granville. The staff are extremely hospitable and they were very considerate and helpful during this last stay - my husband was in the hospital with complications following surgery and they were very accommodating, helpful and caring. An excellent crew. The rooms are small but clean and nice - everything you need is nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms with king sized beds are the best!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Drlou444,

Thank you for your return stay with us and for taking time to review the hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and will forward to our management teams.

We look forward to your next stay with us and hope it is under healthier circumstances to let you enjoy the city as much as the hotel.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Small hard beds, mildewed shower curtains, consistently wrong bus directions, lack of computers for research, and several, but not all really rude staff. One older Russian woman in particular. I will never stay, nor recommend Ramada to anyone, unless I really don't like them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
1  Thank Sandra H

Dear Sandra H,

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking time to review the hotel.

I am terribly sorry you were left with this impression of our hotel. I will follow up with our housekeeping team with regards to the shower curtains, though it is our practice to replace them with each set of guests and they are bleached in between. Beds can be a very personal like or dislike but I can assure you that we have relatively new Simmons Beautyrest Pillowtop premium mattresses which are enjoyed by a great many people while others prefer other styles in firm or soft mattress. I will address your comments regarding our front office team with the front office manager for individual follow-up.

We hope to one day better serve you on a return trip through Vancouver.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I´ve stayed here 3 times and loved it everytime. The hotel itself is situated in the middle of downtown vancouver, with restaurants only 5 minutes away in Yaletown. So if you want to see the city, this is perfect! In addition, the service I received from the front desk Manager, Mihaela, was impeccable. She went above and beyond to make my stay as pleasant as possible, and helping me with all my (sometimes weird) requests and questions. I travel alot with my work, so I´ve had some really bad experiences along with some good ones, and I can honestly say that this is one of the really good ones - and it all came down tho the service I received. Because of that, this is now my go-to-place everytime I go to Vancouver.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear EirikGO,

Thank you for return stay with us and for taking time to provide a review.

We appreciate your feedback and we are very proud of our team. I am glad we are able to consistently meet your business needs and our location works well for you.

We look forward to serving you again on a return trip to Vancouver.