“Park Inn, Vancouver”

Park Inn & Suites by Radisson
Ranked #44 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I usually stay at a 4-5 star at the airport, paying $100-$150. All the hotls were full, but the Carlson Club reservations stated I woyuld not be disappointed. The only thing worth the $169 plus taxes was the view, of downtown Vancouver. It was beautiful. The hotel is very old, not well kept. The bedding was Ok. The people were great! Very questionable part of town. You need to walk to the Cactus Club for a good meal. Bottom line, way over priced!

Room Tip: get a city view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Greg H
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Park Inn & Suites by Radisson, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Andrew,

I’m sorry to hear you were disappointed with our property. Indeed the building is older, however we had a major renovation 6 years ago in which the rooms were gutted and completely renovated. Since then we have continued to make significant improvements which include new carpets, armoires, closets and flat screen TV’s within the last 8-24 months. Currently we are installing a 2nd elevator and once that is done, the current one will be replaced as well. Ownership is working on their budget for 2014 which will include additional improvements and renovations. We had our brand inspection this summer and passed with very high marks including top marks for cleanliness. It is occasionally a bit messy in the hallways and lobby areas right now due to the elevator renovation but that is only temporary while the work is being done. I’m glad you enjoyed our view, it’s spectacular for sure.

Sincerely
The Park Inn & Suites Vancouver

There are newer reviews for Park Inn & Suites by Radisson

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We did a cruise and tour of Alaska departing from Vancouver. When I stay in Sydney my work puts me up at Radisson Blu, which is a 5-Star hotel. I used loyalty points from those visits to stay here for two nights prior to the cruise and expected a similar experience to Sydney.

This hotel is not a 5-Star experience. However, it is clean. The beds are comfortable. You get nice city views. It has ice machines (listen up Sydney!). The staff are pleasant and helpful. The location is good being close to the train station - trains every couple of minutes! We could see Granville Island from my balcony and could probably walk there in a half hour or so. That doesn't include the wait for the elevator - but they are putting in a second elevator so that problem should be alleviated soon.

The Speakeasy Bar & Grill over the road serves cold beer and good meals. Broadway is busy but I didn't notice much noise at night.

My only issue was with the air conditioning. It is a wall mounted unit at floor level and is quite noisy. It was warm (late August) and we needed the air. However, a person who travels without earplugs is not a seasoned traveller.

All in all it was an entirely acceptable hotel - just don't expect Radisson luxury like you will receive at the Radisson in Sydney.

Room Tip: I didn't peek into other people's rooms but our room looked north with city views while I su...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Park Inn & Suites by Radisson, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We value all guest feedback. Thank you for telling us your concerns about the air conditioning unit. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as my hubby had to go to Vancouver general for spine surgery. It couldn't be in a better location for the hospital and is an easy distance to Granville Island (when you are able to walk) and even easier to get to on public transport! Downtown is also easy to get to with the skytrain. Beautiful views of the city.
The rooms are nicely done and we were grateful for the microwave and fridge in the room. The hallways could do with some love and there is a new elevator being installed (much needed as the existing one is unbelievably slow!)
The service and staff were great and helpful, which in my books always outweighs any aesthetics.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear yodatoadi,,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that we could accommodate you during your husbands surgery. We hope he will be feeling well very soon. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your time We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel on September 20, 2013. We seen notices that there was some noise due to a new elevator being installed. We had stayed here before so weren't really worried about a bit of noise as the rooms and price were fairly decent. However, we did not realize the reason for the new elevator was the "problems" they were having with the "old" one. On check out I forgot something from the room so I told my daughter and grandbaby to wait in the lobby while I took the elevator back "thank Goodness" they didn't come with me. I got into the elevator and pressed the button to floor 5. For the next half hour the elevator moved from floor 6 down to the basement stopping at various floors, but the doors would not open. I started to get anxious and text-ed my daughter to tell her the elevator doors would not open. My daughter told the front desk girl I was stuck and there but the girl said she was too busy to deal with it as she was checking in customers. My daughter started to raise her voice after 10 minutes asking for a emergency key to unlock the elevator, they didn't have one. Finally she was told that help was coming from RICHMOND elevator company. After 20 minutes and my daughter still panicking, a lady Maybe assistant manager, as there was no manager on duty) came out to the lobby to ask what was going on. When my daughter told her she said OMG. Then a maintenance man that works at the hotel got the elevator to stop and tried to open the doors for me on the lobby. He couldn't but told me he would go and try something else.35 minutes later the door opened. The front desk didn't even make eye contact with me, looked away, charged my daughter full price for her room and parking. As I left in the parking lot the assistant manager came out and said by law they don't require an emergency set up to open the doors. She looked at me and said are you ok? But I was too shook up too answer and just walked away. I could hear the poor maintenance guy getting heck for trying to get me out. We went to the hospital to visit family and 1 1/2 hour later went back to get our car from the hotel parking lot. Thats when I seen the Richmond elevator people pull in. I could have been in there 2 hours and they wouldn't have cared. Seriously those staff need training in dealing with these situations and emergencies, like call the manager, fire department someone !!! No policy training on these situations, maybe no policy in place? Still upset and not too sure what to do about this situation, don't want anyone else to have to go through this. This was really too bad as the one guy at the front desk that checked us in was SUPER nice, and just before check -out I was telling my daughter how great the check-in process was and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank lpulles

Dear Guest,
We are so sorry that this happened to you during your stay. All efforts were made to get an elevator technician to the hotel as soon as possible. I was advised by the front desk that the elevator was stuck. I did not come out and talk to your daughter immediately because I was on the phone in my office calling the elevator maintenance company and our General Manager. Unfortunately, they had a very high volume of calls that day and it took 10 minutes on hold before someone answered and we were able to report the situation. They were told that a guest was inside the elevator which always makes it a top priority however, the length of time it takes to get someone here depends on their location and where we are prioritized in their list of emergencies. Our Maintenance man did manage to get the elevator doors open prior to the technician arriving at the hotel, however I’m not sure what conversation you heard, but at no time was he in trouble for getting the doors open. He was asked to do what he could to get you out and he did.
Your daughter was indeed very upset and concerned about your welfare, which was completely understandable. She asked why we didn’t have an elevator key for the door and I did not know the answer so I spoke to our Head Maintenance man as well as the elevator technician when he arrived and was told by both that for liability reasons only certified elevator technicians have these keys. The front desk staff told me the moment you got out of the elevator but when I came out of the office you were already outside. I was concerned about how you were doing, but as you mentioned, when I came out to speak to you, you walked away. It was at that time that I told your daughter what explanation I was given regarding her question about why we don’t have an elevator key.
We had three technicians come to the hotel on Saturday, the first man arrived at 11am, 50 minutes after the elevator got stuck, and 28 minutes after you got out of the elevator. A second technician arrived at 12:40pm to assist with the repairs, which is obviously the one that you saw drive in.
We will definitely review the way this was handled and I apologize on behalf of all the staff and management that this happened to you. This is not a common occurrence and the new elevator is not being installed for any reason other than we need two elevators and after years of consultations with contractors we have finally found a solution and installation is beginning this week. Our elevator is regularly maintained but like all equipment, sometimes things just break down with no warning.
Jill Love
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed at the Park Inn Vancouver after completing an Alaska Cruise. Although the hotel was older it was well kept and very clean. The hotel Staff were excellent. The hotel is very close to the largest Canadian hospital in BC so they have many repeat guest. Many they know by name and the hotel guest look like they like the fact that someone cares. Only one elevator for five floors. Currently putting in the second

Room Tip: Ask for a city side room beautiful views of the coast and down town Vancouver
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank charles k
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Park Inn & Suites by Radisson, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Charles K,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. We hope you and your family enjoyed your cruise. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is a much worn property that has been given a new lease on life with a cosmetic renovation. The renovation helps, but does not remove the tired feel from the place. The location is very convenient and the parking is solid. There are better appointed properties at the same price point in the immediate vicinity. In the future, I am unlikely to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear jawper,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback. Guest feedback is very important to us. We will pass your concerns on to our staff. Thank you for your time. We are sorry that you were not completely satisfied. Thank you for your time. We hope that you may consider us again during future visits to the area.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed in Park Inn & Suits for 2 nights while connecting to a Cruise to Alaska. The location is not that great, as one would have to walk quite a bit from public transport (either the train or the bus).

The rooms are Good, but outdated and oldish... Bed and the room is clean and tidy. the breakfast was not included in the price which was a big letdown - but lots of restaurants nearby and there is a grocery store right on the opposite side of the street. Internet wifi was fast and did the job.

Room Tip: breakfast is expensive and advisable to be eating in nearby places... lots of places near the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear S B,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback.. We appreciate your comments and concerns about the hotel. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. Guest feedback allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.