“Beats any pub food by large margins”
Review of Cork and Fin - CLOSED

Cork and Fin
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Gastown
Cross street: Water Street
Transit: Waterfront station is a 5 minute walk away connecting with the North shore Seabus, Skytrain, and West Coast Express. Buses run along Cordova St. just steps away from the front door.
Reviewed 24 July 2013

In July 2013 I ate at the Cork and Fin. I ordered their prix-fix three course menu with wine (~CAD 50) I ordered 3 Oysters Rockefeller something, raw scallops with plums and foie gras something, and rock fish something. The menu item titles were more elaborate but unless I unconsciously swallowed the fois gras on my first bite, it was not present. I was not in the mood to argue but I checked the menu on my way out.

This said, I covered the unpleasant part. The dinner itself was very pleasant. I was seated inside directly at the open window. Oyster were fine, but not extraordinary. (I should have ordered the 6 raw ones at an additional 3$ or so); the accompanying wine, champagne-type white wine, was fine. For the second course, except for the potentially missing goose liver, the combination of raw scallops and plums worked surprisingly well and the chosen rose was fine, although a little bit too much on the dry side. The rock fish in the third course was a tad too flaky, but the combination of some sort of red pepper/tomato puree, watercress, a small amount of fried root veggies and fish worked well. The Pinot Noir that accompanied the third course fit quite nice (and was a tad of a surprise, since I expected a white wine.)

Service was prompt and friendly, but not seamlessly perfect.

I think would go again, but with somewhat lower expectations. But it certainly beats any pub food by large margins,

1  Thank ErikaNew

Reviewed 11 July 2013

We were in Vancouver after our cruise from Alaska, and were doing the sites of the town. For our last night meal before returning to the UK, we walked Gastown and stopped at the Cork & Fin. Rodders & Jonathan found a table straight away and advised on the menu.

We had a very good meal, better that those on the cruise(which should say something), excellent service and very nice people.

When we next visit Vancouver BC its on our list

Alec & Annette Berry London England

1  Thank Alec B
Reviewed 12 May 2013

A couple of friends were visiting from Victoria so we decided to do the Gastown crawl and one stop was at Cork & Fin to see Francis and enjoy the wine & food. We were able to get a table outside on a Friday nite as the sun was setting. Great people watching. Francis is always a great host. Loved the old music playing in the background. We had a bottle of wine, the salmon tartare and tuna tataki. Very tasty. All was enjoyable. We will be back again!

1  Thank JULOfrVan
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Went there for brunch in April on Sunday. Got there at 145pm and they still served us well and fed us great food. We were served at least once by all the staff that were working that day. They were friendly and kind. They had no problem that we were there and they were closed already for brunch. We noticed that there was another table there that was not being very "easy" to serve but none of the servers attitude towards us ever changed. Very professional servers and the food served was excellent and full of flavour. A great neighbourhood gem and wish them all the success in the world!

1  Thank nicoleg79
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The worst dining experience I've had in Vancouver. Period.

I could go on and on, but I won't for the sake of saving everyone's time. Point form:

-Took a reservation 30 minutes before close (Closing at 2pm on a Sunday, yes pm) Then told us to hurry. When we asked for "a few minutes to decide" the answer was:

"That's not going to work for us"

-The rudest service in Vancouver. The attitude of the server and staff is something difficult to capture in a review, but our party unanimously agreed it was terrible. Our entire party of 6 had worked in the industry at various restaurants over the years.

-They only had brunch at 1:30pm, which is fine, but we tried the fried oysters and waffles. A table of 6 sharing the plate for a quick starter... didn't even eat half of it. Awful.

-The music was very loud, but the speaker was blown so it made a horrible noise. When I asked about the speaker, they simply said it's broken. No suggestion to turn it off, turn it down or even a suggestion at all.

-Drinks were all we were allowed to have, since we weren't allowed enough time to order food. Drinks are outrageously expensive, as expected, but even for Vancouver, this is out of control.

Shame on you Cork and Fin. We were all excited to try this place, but the combination of a terrible menu/food, expensive drinks, and above all RUDE SERVICE, I can't wait to see this establishment fail.

Gross.