“Just not enough food. ”

L'Abattoir Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Abattoir Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 3,952 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Gastown
Cross street: Cordova Street
Description: L'Abattoir is located in the center of Gastown between historic Gaoler's Mews and Blood Alley. The restaurant was built in the 19th century and is the site of Vancouver's first jail. Originally buttressed to the city's main butchery and meat packing district, the name L'Abattoir pays homage to the neighbourhood's colourful past. Set in a refurbished brick and beam building that combines classic French tile work with industrial fixtures, natural wood, and glass and steel finishes, the restaurant offers a bar and lounge setting, elevated dining room and plush, sun soaked atrium. Chef Lee Cooper and Owner / Operator Paul Grunberg are dedicated to highlighting the finer points of eating and drinking in L'Abattoir's informed but informal setting. French influenced West Coast fare is paired with Wine Director Lisa Haley's eclectic wine program and Bar Manager Thor Paulson's innovative cocktail list to offer a truly unique dining experience. L'Abattoir adds to Gastown's bustling breakfast scene with a menu mixing comforting staples with hearty, unique entrees. Thirsty brunchers can sip on creative cocktails, as well as daily feature vermouth on the rocks. Non-alcoholic options include daily bottled house made iced teas. Just adjacent to L'Abattoir's regular dining room is the restaurant's stunning new private dining facility. The 1,200 sq ft. facility features historical architectural elements complimented by a contemporary design aesthetic. While large enough for 50 people seated or 70 standing, the room retains an intimate ambiance and a noise-reducing barrier blocks out the hustle and bustle of the regular dining room.
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Recommended by the concierge and seen on T A so I was excited to go. The concierge said "trendy" and I guess it was. No French champagne by the glass although this restaurant is classified "French". Bummed. I did have a yummy local Howe lager. I ordered the saddle of rabbit from my servers recommendation and it was indeed tasty, just not enough. I'm a small woman, 5'4, 110lbs. and I could've eaten another piece along with a salad! It was served with a "savory pear". Weird. Salty pear? Really? Maybe I'm just not "trendy" enough. I ate it all because I was just so hungry. The vibe is nice, they offered some delicious looking cocktails and the waitstaff was attentive. I should've ordered an app, just didn't want to spend another 16 dollars. I did look at the dessert menu, nothing caught my eye. Did I mention the rabbit was delicious? Just not enough.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have eaten at many restaurants but this is some of the best food I have ever had!- Charming location and staff, food innovative and fun, plus reasonably price- Lucked out on a Friday night getting a table with my daughter- We are still talking about the food!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This past Saturday night my wife and I dumped the kids and went downtown for a date night. We had a couple places in mind but no reservations. But since we were early we thought we might be able to sneak into a couple spots. We decided to try L'Abattoir first. We'd just missed the last open table. This is a busy place. But as luck would have it two spots were open at the bar. So we ate at the bar. We both enjoy it just as much as a table anyhow. The room is warm and chic. It's a mix of old Gastown and upscale hipster chic. Even though the bartenders all had a bit of that Billy miner hipster beard thing going on they were attentive, informative and even passionate about the fare. We had a couple glasses of rose to begin. Nice and light and delicious. We shared an octopus appetizer that was sensational. For dinner I had the pork chop special and my wife had steak. Both came on stone plates and looked like pieces of art. Both were wonderful. The pork may have been a tad salty but on just barely. For desert we shared a lemon tart that was seriously good. Light but satisfying. This place is not a budget meal out. My wife had another glass of wine and we also shared a desert beverage called a King Kong (also very nice) and coffee. With tip just north of $200. But if you can swing it, this is a seriously nice place for a dinner out. Maybe not the very best in town but certainly in the conversation. Well worth it.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

An excellent restaurant, with great service and food. The only quibbles are the brevity of its beer listing and that my daughter's medium lamb loin arrived rare. As with most downtown restaurants, it is a little crowded, but it has a very good atmosphere.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Maybe I'm jaded but I expect most fine dining places in this city to be good without really being outstanding. L'Abattoir was a pleasant surprise. Ignore the creepy name (slaughterhouse) and indulge! The food was very well prepared and beautifully presented.

My only criticism of the food was that the foie gras terrine seemed to be lacking in foie; could use more in the mix. Overall it was still a feast for the senses, as was everything we ordered.

Ambiance: the only drawback to this restaurant is that it's a small space, so the tables are very close together and you're basically having dinner with your neighbors.This can be minimized by booking an end table and either going very early in the evening or late in the hopes that the table beside you will be empty.