“Caught a whopper”

Bon Chovy Fishing Charters
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Had the pleasure of going fishing with Jason at Bon Chovy last week. This is my third time out with Bon Chovy and once again great service and great fishing. We had family out from Kingston Ontario so I recommended we go fishing. The service was first class, the equipment was top notch and the fish where on. We had a double header and landed two spring salmon. One was 18 pounds and the other was 25 pounds. We did catch 3 others but the double header made the trip. My uncle from Ontario was super excited as he had landed his biggest fish ever. Great job,great memories and lots of fish.

1  Thank VancouverTeddy

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had a great half day salmon fishing trip with Bonchovy in mid August before an Alaskan Cruise. We had 6 individuals, kids to grandparents and everyone had a ball. Our highlight was a 22lb King or Chinook Salmon. Jeff, our captain, was great and the boat was perfect for our family. We had never salmon fished and it was fun for everyone. We came home with plenty of salmon, which Bonchovy cleaned and filleted for us, and took it with us to a local salmon packager. We picked up a week later, after our cruise on the way to airport, and it was perfectly packaged and currently enjoying at home. Thank you BonChovy for a great morning and unforgettable experience! The Holley/Pierce Family

2  Thank Leigh H
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My family and friends were in Vancouver for a week. Because my two adult sons remember me most fondly as the guy who takes them fishing, we decided to spend a day - 10 hours - fishing for salmon and that other fish - sturgeon. My older son did the research. He found Bon Chovy. I paid. Four of us went: sturgeon in the morning, we were told, and salmon in the afternoon. Fine.

Catch and release was the rule. Sturgeon, I learned, are bottom feeders, like catfish. Part catfish, part shark. They are overpowering when they first hit. Actually, they don't hit. They bend your pole slowly - nod, nod - and you have about 3 seconds to yank the pole from its mount, haul it back hard, and set the hook. Then the fish runs. And there is no stopping it. The reel whines, and you know whatever is on the other end is big. Probably bigger than you. Certainly more powerful than you. And you just hold on. And, if you find yourself without a waist belt in which to park the butt end of the pole, you have to lodge the pole against the pubic bone of your pelvis, and it feels - not surprisingly - a lot like straddling a narrow wooden fence. If the fish is very big, it keeps running, and you wonder about just how much line you have. You're vaguely aware of people in the boat whooping, shouting encouragement, and scurrying around, grabbing things out of the way. The two big ones I caught were over six feet long, about 180 pounds. (Check the pictures.) They kept running. Then, right about the time I was ready to concede, I shouted to my son, the six-foot-six guy, "You take it! C'mon! You gotta take it."

"No way. That's your fish!"

The, the fish began to slow down.

Both the fish and I took stock.

I pulled back and did a wind or two of reeling. Now, he was a heavy fish, but he was yielding. A little line in. A lot of line out. Stop. A little more line in. A little less line out. And so it went for about another 15 minutes, until he came close to the surface. "Watch out, now," warned Luke, the captain of the ship. "He's going to run again." And run he did. But, this time, not quite as far.

It took two of us to get the fish on board and into a stretcher-like device that spanned the width of the boat and perched on the gunwales. Luke then quickly scanned the fish for a computer chip. Of the 15 we caught, only two had been caught and tagged. None of the monsters I hooked had chips. As I say, they were estimated at some 180 pounds, 73 to 74 inches from the nose to the crotch of the V of the tail fin, roughly 25 plus years old. Luke used a large hypodermic needle to implant/inject a computer chip that was cylindrical, about the diameter of pencil lead, and I'm guessing 3/8 of an inch long under the skin just behind the head.

Then pictures. Quickly. Then, as gently as we could, we returned the fish to the water. Although we like to fry fish up in bread crumbs and dip chunks into my homemade 1000 Island dressing, we were all very glad that we didn't feel obliged to eat them and that we were helping, in a very small way, to nurture the species. Five very happy humans and 15 fish, each still alive and returned to their natural habitat, albeit with very sore lips. All of us, the fish included, with great stories to tell.

Absolutely the best day of fishing any of us have ever had. We estimated we caught some 70 feet of fish, weighing more than half a ton. Quantitatively more than the sum of all the fish we had ever caught. Each of us caught four, and by the time we had caught two, I - the financier of the trip - was reckoning silently that every cent had been money well spent. Then we each caught two more - except my younger son, who ended up catching what they call a pikeminnow - far more pike than minnow - almost 2 feet of fish that we also released.

Did I mention that Luke was a great guy? He's been fishing for more than 20 years. After we landed our first two, he turned to me and pointed at the wild grins on everybody, and he said, "That's why I like to fish." On a scale of one to five, these guys are a 10.

1  Thank jbswanson750
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I was traveling with my son and his friend who had never been to the coast.We had a great long weekend of fishing with Jeff from Bon Chovy. We started out by setting a couple of crab pots in the harbor when leaving Vancover netting a dozen crab.The cabin provided on Bowen Island was a rustic dwelling with a great view of the harbor. Everything from food to beverages was within a 4 min walk of our location. the time spent with Jeff from Bon Chovy was great. Fishing for 2 full days netted us 3 salmon ranging from 9 to 20+ pounds, 3 12lb+ ling cod, and a nice sized Halibut (nice bonus). Along with these we caught 2 Koho and 6 smaller springs, and 3 small dog fish which we released.
I highly recommend you bring lots of sun screen, drinks and snacks. Weather was great, (mid 20's) and the ocean at time was like glass.
Overall a fantastic trip and we are looking forward to doing it again next spring.

3  Thank Powersyst
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We are not experienced fishermen, but we live on the seawall near Bon Chovy and wanted to give salmon fishing a try. Blake was the perfect guide for us - he knows his stuff, he's very service oriented, and he worked hard to make sure we caught some nice fish (no guide can guarantee a catch, but we caught two very nice Coho's, plus one small shark (!) that we released). As important for us, Blake made sure that it was a fun, friendly experience - never made us feel like like our complete lack of experience was an impediment to a good time or a good catch - the day was a blast!!! Your guide makes a big difference in setting the tone of the day. Blake is young, enthusiastic, but also very knowledgeable. He's passionate (and very responsible) about fishing - grew up in a commercial fishing family in the north tip of Vancouver Island, and in the off season is studying fishing and fisheries management at a local university. A good guide makes you appreciate how hard these guys work to make sure it all comes together - taking care of the boat, chasing the fish, keeping the guests happy, etc. So now we have some wonderful memories, a freezer full of salmon, and big plans for tonight's fresh catch dinner.

Practical suggestions... bring plenty of water or drinks (Jeff told us to do so when we booked - glad we did), a few snacks, layers of clothing, and make sure that everyone has some sun protection. We were lucky to have had a sunny day despite some not so sunny forecasts, but it also meant that my baseball cap was a very welcome accessory. And plan to enjoy the day no matter what is or is not caught. Yes, we are partial to Vancouver - but it is world class beautiful by any standards, so no matter what else, you will be surrounded by stunning scenery. If you do catch something, your guide will trim and clean it for you, so that you can walk away with fillets or steaks ready to cook.

1  Thank vancouver-paradise