“Delicious Dinner on Davie Street”

Banana Leaf Malaysian Cuisine
Ranked #176 of 4,151 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Davie Village
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have now visited the Banana Leaf on Davie twice for Malaysian food and enjoyed both dinners. The roti canai is a must try. If you are new to this cuisine, it's a light flakey, multi-layered flat bread similar to a cross between an Indian naan and a French crepe. As well as the roti canai, two of us shared a mild curry boneless chicken with vegetables, a delectable mee goreng noodle dish, and two portions of coconut rice. The rice comes in a cone-like shape contained in a meticulously folded banana leaf. Tip: Open the rice first and use the unfolded banana leaf cover your plate before adding the other dishes. Otherwise, you might be unsure what to do with the large square leaf you will find in your hands. This order served two as generously as it was delicious. We'll definitely be back. Dinner for two with two drinks $55. The Banana Leaf is an easy 5 to 10 minute walk from the Sheraton Wall Centre and the Century Plaza Hotels on Burrard Street.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I had a late night dinner so there was a quiet atmosphere. The seafood soup and salad were delicious with totally different tastes. The spring rolls were also good but a bit greasy for me. I would definitely eat there again. My server was most helpful in choosing dinner as well as a Malaysian mohito!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

First time to this location, but have eaten at the other 2 in Van before. Really like Malaysian flavours. The beef penang was excellent and the eggplant and basil stirfry was delicious. Definitely worth a look.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Our group of 10 out-of-towners had dinner here. Most had never tried Malaysian cuisine before. Several of us decided to split a "Tasting Menu for 2." We found that 3 people could comfortably split one tasting order that is designed for 2 (total cost roughly $30+$30=$60). At first, the courses come in very small quantities, and you wonder if you've made a mistake and ordered too little. Have faith! Eventually, the cumulative effect of all those small courses will be overwhelming and you will end up comfortably (or more) full. The sauce in each course was exquisite, distinct, and memorable. The flavors and textures of the various courses provides nice variety. Don't ever let the server take leftover sauce from one course (e.g., the steamed mussels) away -- let them have the shells etc but save the sauce in case you want to apply it to a later course. The only complaint my friends and I had is that every item could have been just as good if they'd dialed back the salt by one notch. Overall, a wonderful experience and we'd return here if in town again.

Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were new to Malaysian food and Banana Leaf was highly recommended to us by our hotel concierge. The atmosphere is intimate and our waitress was personable and made our experience very enjoyable. She was also very knowledgeable about the menu and offered suggestions we wouldn't have normally tried but ended up loving. The food and drinks were delicious! I had coconut juice and drank it from the actual coconut. How fun! My husband had a lychee mojito (I am not a fan of mojitos) but we BOTH thought was fantastic. We are considering returning to Banana Leaf for dinner during our trip.