“Loved it” 4 of 5 bubbles

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

Fun soccer. Fun crowds. Food not great, but appropriate. Avoid male adults with foul language. Tripadvisor requires that I say more. Reviews must be at least 50 characters. There you go.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank KyotoBound

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great Arena”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

Best way to watch a game! Awesome arena, safe with friendly crowds and good security etc...I'd feel safe bringing my kids here in the future.

Perth, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Awesome and I found it hard to believe this was a temporary stadium”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

This is the temporary venue built in 111 days for 14.5 million Canadian dollars during 2010 and due to be taken apart during October 11 after the work on the new retractable roof and renovations at BC Place are completed, with the refitted stadium due to open in late September 2011.

Having been at a whitecaps game at Swanguard stadium in Burnaby’s central park at few years ago, which is a very similar stadium, but a lot smaller than Meadowbank in Scotland, I was not expecting much in the way of atmosphere from the Vancouver fans and I was not sure what to expect in a temporary stadium.

I certainly was surprised as the stadium is great and due to the arrival of MLS the fans have come out in big numbers now for Whitecaps games. Not only do they support the local team well but the fans do make some noise, especially on the South end where the more vocal fans groups congregate.

The stadium only has two entrances on the South and North sides of the ground and is not as central as BC Place, but with lots of buses running to the games and ample street parking (watch for locals charging to park at their property) it’s not too hard to get to. If you don’t have a ticket there are plenty for sale outside and we were able to get our tickets for the whitecaps game at half the face value outside the South entrance.

As a temporary structure the seating is basic, with bucket seats on the East and West sides, with the majority of these under cover, with the ends being open benches. The roof does have pillars and for the Whitecaps game we were in row BB which meant we had an unobstructed view, however when I went back 48 hours later to see the BC Lions play my friends season tickets in the back row of the west stand (row LL) had a pillar which would have obstructed the view of a football goal.

The rake of the stadium is superb with the lower section being at a lower angle than the back and this meant that at both games I felt I was very close to the pitch. Perhaps it was the roof but if I had not seen all the scaffolding below my seat at the Lions game the whole thing had a permanent feel about it. The fans at the whitecaps also use the temporary structure to make noise when the teams come out or corners with everyone banging their feet on the ground, which took me back to my days in the old wooden stand at Muirton Park, Perth.

Obviously some of the facilities are very limited but there are boxes in the west stand, scoreboards and a video screen above the North end. There are fan tents in the grounds of the stadium and rather than go to get the food and drink they had people bringing it to you. So nice to have a drink at the game and not have to leave your seat.

A ground so good I had to revisit 48 hours after my first trip and one which in a few month time will go back to being a public park for local teams and will look more like it shows on google maps than it actually looks like just now.

Visited July 2011