“Big Bus has some issues to address”
Review of Big Pink Sightseeing - CLOSED

Big Pink Sightseeing
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Featuring 1960's vintage London double deckers and open-topped vehicles we are a part of Gray Line Vancouver. We are proud to support the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation in their research and efforts to stop cancer. The Gray Line of Vancouver Franchise is operated by West Coast Sightseeing Ltd., Vancouver's most experienced tour company with over 30 years in the business. We know Sightseeing and we know you will enjoy it.
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My boyfriend and I had a very easy time finding our first hop on location and purchasing the ticket from a nearby store. Then the Big Pink Bus rolled up. If you were sitting on the first level you might be suffocated by exhaust fumes (driver was wearing a mask to protect himself from them) and you wouldn't be able to see anything out of the window because there was some black material blocking your view. The upper level is worse. Half the speakers don't work and the other half are set to a volume only bats can hear. I literally can't remember anything I heard on those speakers. That might not be as big of a concern but you can hear and feel every bump in the road. The bus could hardly make it up the hills and going thru Stanley Park felt like a tree massacre. I don't think there was one left unhit by our driver. It was a pretty terrifying experience. I'm writing this to save other people from riding on an unsafe bus.

3  Thank Sara161616

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We signed up to take the Big Pink bus tour of Vancouver, BC. What we weren't told by any of the 4 or 5 employees working the crowd was that it wouldn't be arriving for about an hour. After standing around watching 4 or 5 Big Buses come and go, someone finally mentioned that we could take one of those and the next one would be along in 5 to 10 minutes. OK. 20 minutes later, I asked one of the 4 or 5 employees selling tickets to the crowd and doing nothing to organize anyone into areas they should be standing to get on the next bus or trolley, when the next bus would arrive. In 5 to 10 minutes. Whatever. Well, we accidently got into a line for the Trolley, but it's a different tour, then we stood with another group who was just as confused as we were, then a bus came around the corner and we had to walk halfway down the block to get on it because the woman working with the trolley company yelled at the driver to get out of the way for her passengers. And then we proceeded to drive around downtown to various hotels. There were a few sites and some interesting stories and the driver was great. But it wasn't a tour of Vancouver.
So, we're not impressed. Then we get to Gastown. Just a few stops to the end. And we have to change buses because the driver is finally getting his lunch break. Seriously? We're like 2 stops to the end. You can't schedule the man's lunch break at the end of the tour????
We took a Big Bus tour in Victoria, BC and it was the complete opposite of this. We enjoyed it so much, it was the reason we wanted to take the tour in Vancouver.

It was expensive and not at all worth it. Do not take this tour.

3  Thank ordovican
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Used service at end of HAL cruise. Cruise tour desk had made sure we had all the paper work filled in, but lots of other people were trying to do it in the queue which quickly became very long: have more staff please! The process is fairly straight forward. At airport it was not easy to find storage and again they did not have enough staff to cope! In Vancouver we were disappointed that the tour was not going through Stanley Park: should have been told before we got on I feel. When we hopped off we found it very hard to get back on. As it was raining no one was getting off so after waiting 15 minutes the bus that turned up was full, so we gave up and walked! On reflection we should have stayed on bus all the way round and then stared to hop on hop off. However later buses seemed to have plenty of space. Staff are friendly and helpful. Buses do seem to be old and slow and stop at a lot of hotels.

2  Thank keepitupLiverpoolUK
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was disappointed, expecting the same hop-on/hop-off experience as in London, Paris, etc. Instead, the Big Pink Bus/Blue Bus stops at a lot of hotels looking for passengers among their other stops. No doubt the bus company is compensated so that the hotels can advertise themselves as a stop.
The buses are old, and the seats are small - two adults are cramped sitting together. We were packed like sardines. Our bus' engine and transmission strain nosily and and produce a lot of smoky exhaust. Was not sure it would make it up the next hill. We were on two different buses, and the speaker system on the first one was not very good.
It was a Sunday and we were spending a lot of time sitting at stoplights and in heavy traffic. We only had the day to spend in Vancouver after getting off a cruise ship and catching a red-eye flight home, so we finally just got off near Chinatown and walked to Gastown.
I'd recommend someone considering the buses review the bus literature first to see their stops, and also see the buses themselves before deciding to us them.
I found the bus personnel friendly, helpful, and informative.
Sorry, I cannot offer a better alternative to touring Vancouver.

1  Thank RDFarr
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I was a little nervous about using the bus as I am slightly disabled and use a folding four frame with wheels (a "walker") to help me walk around. I need not have worried because while my husband helped me get on and off the driver's assistant carried the walker. At each stop space was found in the bus for walker.

I've read xz/84m's bad review about using this experience on a wet day. All I can say is ours was completely different and I don't think it was just because we had good weather. We needed something to do to fill the time between disembarking our cruise ship at 8.15am and our flight home at 6.30pm, without our luggage. We bought the tickets on the ship, collected our cases and took them to the Big Pink stand in the terminal where we handed them over and were informed we could collect them at the airport at 4pm. As part of the package we had a map of the city and a ticket for the skytrain to the airport.

The driver was also the tour guide and he was informative and funny. We went around Stanley Park before getting off for the first time at Granville Island. Our second stop was Chinatown and we walked from there to Gastown before catching the skytrain.

On arrival at the airport we went to the Big Pink stand in the terminal to collect our luggage. There was a very short queue which moved quickly due to the efficient service. We handed over our receipt and collected our suitcases. They were already loaded onto a trolley for us so all we had to do then was get to check-in.

From start to finish the organisation was seamless. The only reason I am not giving this an 'excellent' score is because I think it might not be so nice in the rain.

3  Thank whereami021