“Sandman reasonable prices, good for large convention stay”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #69 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I recently attended the American Educational Research Association meeting (15,000+ attendees) in Vancouver, and being budget-conscious, stayed at the Sandman, which was a healthy walk from the Convention Center, but in a safe area. The hotel was clean and well-managed. I did use internet connections, and it was at no charge for people staying there. I did experience a couple of dropped sessions, but usually was able to get right back on. When I checked in, the front desk gave me the heads-up that the next night was a hockey game so all local restaurants, etc. would be crowded. Knowing this in advance, my plans were not affected and I appreciated the advance notice. There were a number of reasonably-priced restuarants nearby within walking distance, and the hotel gave me a couple of good recommendations. All in all, this worked well for my needs. My room had a view of some interesting buildings and a bit of the ocean and the mountains! Nice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Very good location for Hockey and Football fans, but that is also it's downside. Hotel is very centrally located with easy access to just about anything in Vancouver. Rooms come a bit scarce during Hockey season as I found out. My room was clean, comfortable and basic. Bathroom was rather small and cramped. Toiletries and towels were readily available. The room contained a mini fridge which is nice so you don't have to rely on the $2.25 price for a beverage from the vending machines. There are several 7-Elevens and stores within comfortable walking distance for all your needs. One view from the room was of the Stadium and the other, of an alley and rooftop of adjacent building. Which wasn't a major concern. Elevators can be tricky sometimes because the card reader fails quite often I found in my 4 day stay at the hotel. Great bar area, and the other attached bar is great for watching sports, especially hockey. But get there early for there is standing room only once a Canucks game is on. Staff was friendly, lobby was clean and open, and free WiFi was a definite plus. I definitely would recommend this hotel if you're needing a clean, comfortable room within in close proximity of the stadium and arena, and also a good choice for a centralised hotel in Vancouver.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed here on business for a week with several colleagues. At least 80% of the time, the Internet service was down completely. When it was working, it was slow and constantly timing out. Colleagues on several floors in various parts of the north tower had the same experience every day all week. Tech support from the service provider, Liveport, was useless and basically amounted to "it looks fine on this end." The hotel staff were indifferent and the general manager dodged all attempts to contact him about the issue.

If you choose to book this hotel, do not expect working Internet access. Personal communication and online work of any kind --even sending an email-- is all but impossible here, and the staff and management do not care. This is particularly troublesome if you are visiting from outside of Canada and reply on Internet access.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank room317
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Simple room clean and presentable bed comfortable pillows ok, picked due to the closeness of Rogers arena, it is literally a 3 min walk away Only 5 min walk to the tube station the other way. Unlike other comments I heard no extra notice due to the hockey match. only neg was the wifi was very weak on the 9th floor. Moxies for food attached didnt use so cant comment.
Would I stay again yes

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Simonosb
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Great location for the Rodgers Arena...subway, great restaurants and neighborhoods, just a short walk...Passion 2012 Vancouver Awesome !!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I was pleasantley suprised at the Sandman City Centre Hotel. I wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it was! We were travelling with a large group who were attending a conference in downtown Vancouver and it was perfect. I have to stay they really impressed me! The lobby was well done with grand chandeliers, fabulouse decor, and great staff. The rooms were a good size and very clean and up to date! The beds were comfortable and the decor was great. The flat screen tv's were a nice touch. It definetley fit the high class Vancouver style!

Room Tip: As far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with the rooms you choose!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed here years ago when we won the accommondation. This time we got a double room for $99 as we were going to a concert at Rogers arena. It is located an easy walk of 2 blocks to either Rogers or BC Place.
Check in was smooth and since we had a large truck the parking attendants let us park in valet temporarily until we checked in then directed us into the correct lot for over height. $15 to park which is standard in downtown Vancouver.
The room was clean though alittle run down, broken shelf in bathroom and poorly renovated and not enough towels for 3 people. We did find 2 pool towels in the dresser.
As the kids wanted to swim before the concert(we were traveling with 3 others) we headed down to the pool. Good thing we read the directions as its confusing to find. We arrived to a big disappointment. The pool was fine, very deep in fact though the kids are teens, but the hot tub was cordoned off and under construction. Would have been nice to have known prior by a sign at the desk or in room. There is also no seating to watch the kids, had to sit on the stairs. This could do with improving.
The elevators are extremely slow, and as we were on the 9th floor stairs were only an option going down. Waited 3 to return home after the concert as this hotel is one of the top choices for its location. In fact you have to sign a waiver on event nights for complaints and damage. Our only noise complaint was the stairwell door slamming shut, as there was no ice machine on our floor so people used the stairs to go up to the empty ice machine. The 7th floor had a working one.
Beds were comfy and we were able to leave our truck till 2 pm though we left earlier.
This hotel offered free wifi slow but at least it was free!!!! No free breakfast though. The restaurants were a bit pricy so we drove to a restaurant for brunch instead.
The pros outweighs the cons so I would still come back here if going to concerts or hockey games but elsewhere if I'm in Vancouver otherwise.

• Stayed: March 2012