“went for check up to see doctor”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #68 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Castlegar, Canada
“went for check up to see doctor”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

stayed at sandman vancouver ciyt centre had a plesant stay the staff was very nice and helpful with our stay the rooms are very quiet and clean it is very cental to everything you want to do and go i will stay at the hotel again

Room Tip: stayed in south tower very bright rooms and very spacious
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Poster_A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were in Vancouver due to a last minute family emergency. we decided to select this hotel as the price tag seemed right and my boyfriend stayed there in the past. The customer service was HORRIBLE. We were a younger couple (late 20's) the front desk staff was absolutely rude...not helpful at all and could tell that they thought we were there to party so they gave us the worst service I have EVER had and we travel A LOT and I have worked at multiple different hotels on Vancouver island and have never seen people treat customers SO bad. We delt with 3 different front desk staff and all 3 gave us the worst customer service. On our second day we clearly had our do not disturb sign on our door....while we were resting at 1pm the housekeeper opened the door and walked him saying "Hello Hello" when I asked her to leave as we were sleeping she kept walking in and talking and managed to wake up the two other people that were sleeping in our room as well. When we ordered room service we were told we had to go down and pick it up (yet we were charged for the room service delivery fee) that was over $20 for nachos that are called "Double cheese nachos" yet most of the nachos had no cheese on them all all. It is a very noisy area and the crappy widows do not help with the sound at all. I would never stay at this hotel EVER again there are lots of other way better options for the same price and they treat you WAY better. I have worked in the hotel industry for over 10 years now and if anyone ever treated guests they way this hotel treated my group they would be fired on the spot. Maybe the employers should take that into consideration.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank felifrni

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel! Very Friendly and went out of their way to help me!! I would book with them again in the future! Not many hotels,especially chains have the ability to go out of their way to be so helpful !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Muriel955
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We were not informed that the pool was under maintenance when we booked over the phone. So much for customer service. Also, there were molds in on our window and the coffee maker was just as nasty. Disappointing to say the least.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Stacey I
Mauchline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here 3 times now. It's perfect location, comfortable rooms, swimming pool and THEE best sports bar serving amazing food and the staff in the hotel and bar are extremely friendly and helpful. It's an all round great hotel. You know what your getting with a sandman hotel.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank laurarobertson22
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at the Sandman for one night on Feb. 14th because I was going to a concert that night. My friend booked it because it was close to the arena... probably the only good thing about the hotel.

It took my friend over an hour to check in. Luckily, I missed that part. Once I got there, I waited for what felt like forever for an elevator. One finally came and when I got inside, I noticed that I needed a key card to get to my floor. It was just a magical feeling to wait forever for no reason at all. I had to call my friend and she had to come and meet me in the lobby. 11 floors and two elevators. If you're in any kind of hurry, just stay on the second floor and take the stairs, which are conveniently located outside.

The room was nice. I will give them that. The buttons on the remote control for the tv were a little sticky and the time on the alarm clock wasn't even set. But over all it was clean and quite nice.

When we got back from the disgusting display of public self-loving that was the Miley Cyrus concert, our entire floor and room stunk like pot. It was overwhelming. Neither my friend or myself smoke it so we found it to be quite bothersome. We actually have to leave the hotel for a couple of hours. We complained about it to the front desk and we were assured that it would be taken care of. Ready for a huge surprise? Nothing was done. Not a damn thing. We were told that since they couldn't figure out which room it was coming from, we just had to "deal with it." Apparently they don't teach you how to knock on doors and look for smoke when you take the Tourism and Hospitality course.

The next morning, I spoke with the duty manager, who gave me the card for the general manager. I never heard back from the general manager. I then contacted head office, and again, heard nothing back.

Don't waste your money on this place. If you don't luck out and have a great experience, no one gives a damn. They got your money... apparently that's all that matters.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor if you're going in and out a lot. I waited ten minutes to get on one from...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cheryl M
sandvan, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Again, please accept my sincere apology for the unfortunate experience due to a lack of courtesy and consideration by another guest and or visitor.

As I explained, we have a strict rule regarding smoking in an non-smoking hotel, penalties are indicated on the registration card as well as the event forms for concert dates. We do charge the guilty party for such an offence, however the biggest challenge is identifying the guilty party or guestroom, especially in this case where it seems the person smoked in the hallway.

Please consider the hotel extends every reasonable effort to communicate and extend penalty when necessary. In addition, special deep clean is also extended to ensure the smoke odor is completely cleared, an additional cost and more cost as the room is not sold until fully treated, so in essence the hotel is also a victim of the same unfortunate circumstances.

Be assured, we will continue our strict policy and be diligent in our overall process. Again, very difficult to control the actions of a very few individuals but will continue with our commitment.

Michael Lopez
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Customer service was horrible right from check-in. Took almost 30 minutes to fully check-in (clerk couldn't find our reservation, then took forever getting us our package perks). The routes to rooms were poorly laid out. Getting to the pool level from the South Tower was a labyrinth. Hot tub was luke warm at best and very murky. The suite wreaked from whatever cleaning solution was used. Very loud elevator and very noisy floor. Bed was hard as rock, drawer knobs were broken and the television was limited at best.

Breakfast at Moxies wasn't much better. Found plastic in the omelette and the waiter wasn't friendly or personable at all. Although, the omelette was removed from the bill, no apology was ever given.

Room Tip: This is a good location for Theatre goers or concert goers. Otherwise, not worth the cost
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple