“Clean & convenient; terrible customer service”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #68 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
Seattle, Washington
“Clean & convenient; terrible customer service”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked this hotel 3 months before travel because of staying at other Sandmans. When we arrived at the hotel there was a huge line and the front desk was very understaffed. When I finally got up to the desk I was told that they did not have my reservation and I showed the confirmation to them that was booked 3 months prior. The clerk called central reservations and then told us that it would have to be entered into the system. No apologies, he did not seem sympathetic, etc. He told me to get back in line in five minutes, not that he would call me up. After waiting in line for 15 more minutes the other clerk checked us in. During that time the first clerk found that my paperwork had been filed under my first name instead of last name and the two clerks just laughed about it. Again, no apologies.

With the volume of people, the elevators are very inadequate and there were multiple times when we climbed 7 stories of stairs because other guests said they had been waiting for 20 minutes. The room itself was clean and adequate. It is disappointing that the standard room is two double beds instead of queen or king size. Parking is also $25 which seems excessive.

On checkout we again had terrible customer service. The lobby was filled with a convention as well as other guests trying to check out. There is a box for express check out displayed, but we never received our printout in order to do so. Again, the front desk was overwhelmed and the reservations manager was just wandering in the lobby. When I asked her about the express check out, she said "that's a good question, you should ask the clerk when you check out."

2 Thank Gretchen O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed one night with my teenaged son while taking in a ball game next door. Lovely front desk and service staff, pleasant room in better shape than the one we stayed in last year. Comfy beds, perfect location, decent price. Ask for a room on an upper floor to really see the city views. Only real con - world's slowest elevators!

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed four nights at the Sandman Inn downtown Vancouver, and I must say for business it was exactly what I needed. The location is great with easy access to amenities and transit if required. An upgrade to the corporate tower was the key, the room was well appointed and quiet. In downtown Vancouver, that combination is unique. The hotel itself is a little tired looking perhaps, but that says a lot about their occupancy - everything is well used. Secure parking was a bonus for me, as I could leave my vehicle for extended periods of time and not worry about break-ins or parking tickets. Most of the staff were helpful and pleasant, however I did encounter one front desk agent - who appeared to be wishing that "I would just go away and stop asking questions". However that was not the norm. Overall - I know that I will stay there again.

Room Tip: The corporate tower was quiet and the elevator has easy access to valet door.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hanover, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Clean hotel within walking distance of waterfront. Good breakfast. Elevators were small and we found ourselves sharing it with the staff which was a first. We were on the 6th floor and the internet kept going off - only irritating thing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda K
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Ignore the fault finding from previous reviewers. This hotel is great.
Faults? The lifts are small. If elevator square footage lists high on your holiday tick list then don't stay here.

If you want good, clean accommodation with friendly service in a well located part of town then you could do considerably worse than The Sandman.

Our four nights in this hotel was a positive experience...it contributed well to a wonderful 2 week holiday in Canada.

To see this hotel so far down in the ratings in Vancouver is a bit of a travesty in truth.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul R
London
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a short stop over after flying in from the UK. The hotel is easy to find with a large underground car park (although it does charge an extra 20 dollars a day to park in it)

We were given large family room on the corner of the 10th floor. The room was very clean with large comfy beds and very quiet - we had a good nights sleep. The biggest criticism of the room was the lack of hanging space.

If you take the hotel for what it is a fairly cheap, city centre hotel it is good. The hotel is in a good location, particularly if you want to visit the football stadium. The only really annoying thing about it is the small lifts which mean you often have to queue at peak times and the need to use your room key to swipe access in the lifts.

1 Thank Scott P
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We could see the plaza for Queen Elizabeth Theatre from our room. We literally just had to walk across the street and up 1 block to go to the theatre. We took advantage of the underground parking. The room was comfortable - the bathroom area was small. The vanity and sink were outside the bathroom which was great as I was sharing a room with my sister. The toilet leaked - we were only there for 1 night so by the time we realized, it was too late at night to complain or see if we could get a different room. But the beds were really comfortable, everything seemed to work just fine. Had a good sleep, the neighbourhood is quiet. Had breakfast in the hotel and it was quite nice. Quirky elevators and layout in the lobby, but I think this actually adds to the charm of the place. Overall, this hotel is a superb value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family