“Good location, rooms a bit tired.”

Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Ranked #67 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Good location, rooms a bit tired.”
Reviewed 3 September 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights in total, 2 at he beginning of a Rockies tour and 2 at the end. The hotel was ideally located. Our first room was in the main block, and the second in the corporate tower. We had problems with the plumbing in both rooms. In the first, the toilet blocked completely. In the second, the cistern could take more than an hour to fill before we could flush. They did send maintenance straight away twice, but he didn't manage to fix it. There were other little issues like a broken wheel on the office chair, and a broken handle on the chest which were fixed, but it very much added up to give impression of being tired. Rooms were however spotlessly clean, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the restaurant was really good in every way. We were there when a game was on in the stadium right next door and were concerned it might be noisy, but we didn't hear a thing.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JenniferM54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Saskatoon
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This was a nice place to stay we had booked a " cozy queen" but when we checked in they upgraded us to a room with w terrace. The hotel was in a good location in downtown we were able to get around without using our car it was clean and quiet

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We live in the outskirts of Vancouver and our in-laws were visiting so we decided to stay downtown in the same hotel so we could have dinner and an evening with them. The staff were very accommodating (our sister-in-law was on crutches and wheelchair), but our room very small and the bathroom was ridiculously small. Had we had weight issues, we couldn't have closed the door - once you were in, you had to sidle around the toilet to allow yourself room to close the door. Other than that, the location is great (6 blocks from the main intersection of downtown) so lots of restaurants, bars, theaters, etc. It was certainly clean and, as I said, staff accommodating. The only issue we had was the room size and had we been staying more than one night I would have requested a different room.

Room Tip: We were in a room ending in "02" which seemed to be an awkward corner room. Our relatives...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tana N
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I dined today at the restaurant located on second floor of this hotel.When parking my car at the underground pay park parking , the parking machine prompted to select the time but it automatically selected full day meaning $25. I wanted to park for maximum one hour while I dine. I went to the restaurant and asked the server what to do about the parkometer not being in service and he informed me I better ask front desk.The front desk was so busy with a big line up that I thought I would rather go and park on the street when I saw some woman putting a $100 fine under my windshield .
I told her that the parkometer is not working and I want to move my car but she said once she has printed the ticket she can not do anything about it but the Hotel can cancel it.To my surprise front desk told me because "I am not a guest of this hotel" they will not cancel the ticket.Meaning that guests of the restaurant are not their guest which I found very inconvenient and rediculous!
While good hotels & restaurants offer valet service to their customers specially in downtown vancouver , they don't much.I found the hotel's location very inconvenient and far to downtown core,needless to say that it was dingy and old . I think any one visiting vancouver can find a more decent hotel with the same price in downtown core

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Roshy73

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Reviewed 27 August 2014

The place is an acceptable place. Not too pricey, and too cheap either! We arrived late at night very tired and the front desk was very fast and nice. When we paid and got to the room, we were a little surprised. It was ok but we thought that we would of gotten a little bit more luxury for the price. THe main problem for us was the location however. The next time we are in Vancouver for the night I think we are going to find something with a little more better location.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard L
Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband has once a year medical appointments and we always stay here. The staff is nice some times there is a line to check in but I always found that was because a bus full of international tourist showed up as you see the bus outside (German when I stayed there in September 2013). Really close to a skytrain station. I noticed that people have complained about parking although you do have to bear in mind that parking is very expensive everywhere in Vancouver.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Al S
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night. Fantastic location across street from BC Place and excellent rate (provincial govt rate of $129 plus $20 parking). If you stay in a room ending in 01 (ie 301,401,501) you can a little extra space and more windows as it is on corner of building. Moxies Grill restaurant was very good (located inside lobby so very convenient). Outside of building looks dated but rooms have been recently renovated and very clean. Overall great value for location!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business