Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre
Kingston Hotel(Vancouver)
  • Room Service
Victorian Hotel(Vancouver)
1,357 results
All reviewsrogers arenabc placequeen elizabeth theatretravel agentking roomcoffee makerstanley parkgranville islandgastownskytraincruisewaterfront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2010

So far, when people have complained of windows left open and chemical odors, they're told that there are no chemical odors, the windows weren't left open, and that no one else has complained... clearly not true.

Then when really confronted, they default to saying that "Someone was sick in that hallway, and it had to be cleaned." Really? How many floors has this happened on? Barfing-in-Hallways seems to be epidemic! It even sounds rehearsed.

And by the way, it was the hotel staff who first used the word "quarantine." That shouldn't worry you at all. Nope, not one bit.

To end on a positive note, MOXIE'S is a really nice place to eat and the staff therein are very sweet. However avoid the SHARK CLUB which left me throwing up for 3 days.

2  Thank FL2NYCGGuy
sandvan, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments and my apology for your disappointment.

We do use the product called " Goof Off", normally purchased at any hardware store. This product is excellent for removing any paint residue and other forms of stains on the carpet, walls and furniture. Unfortunately there is a residual odor which may be disturbing to some people. Our intention is to properly deal with any issues for the best results, never to offend the hotel guests.

Some of our housekeeping staff do open the windows when cleaning the room, the intention is to air the room, noting that our city do provide very crisp and clean air. The employee in question has been re-trained to ensure the windows are properly closed when the room is completed.

Unfortunately we have no control when some hotel guest do vomit in our hallways, our objective is to properly clean it up and use proper products to ensure there are no after affects.

The word " quarantine" is considered very serious, by definition it means to isolate and contain a situation, historically from the italian word " quaratena" meaning a forty day period.
This word is used when describing our response to the very rising challenge of bed bugs. A serious word to a challenging issue with serious applications implemented to ensure the safety of our hotel guest. Our intention is to make our hotel guests aware of this rising challenge and that we do accept this challenge in a serious manner with serious actions.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns and comments, it is truly unfortunate we were not able to achieve your overall satisfaction.

Reviewed 17 February 2010

Need I really say more. But I will. The staff was not helpful at all with the Bed Bugs issue. They would not move us, since we were stuck here for a month during the Olympics. Then they wouldn't clean our clothes either. Our Bosses had to step in.

DO NOT STAY HERE EVER!!!!! JUST STAY CLEAR OF ANY SANDMAN HOTEL IF YOU KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR YOU!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
sandvan, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the staff and management, please accept my sincere concerns for your disappointment.

In preparation for the Olympics, every room has been dry steam cleaned and given a preventive treatment care from a qualified pest control company. This proactive program was implemented due to the realistic fact that there would be travellers from all over the world coming to this historical event. It is also with this realistic understanding, despite all our efforts, we simply cannot control the access into our guestrooms, bed bugs being brought in by luggages. However our response program is strong with postive result.

This one particular case, the bed bugs were brought in. The qualified pest control company noted a very matured or fully grown bed bug in the luggage, hence indicating the luggage was innocently infected through the travels.

Once the room was confirmed infected by the qualified pest control company, the response program was duly implemented.

In addition, as a gesture of goodwill, the hotel did cover all cost to the laundry. The guests were properly moved to another room after further preventive measures were extended to control any more infestation.

Every opportunity was provided to the guest to inform, educate and resolve this unfortunate situation.

It is disappointing that despite all the efforts and opportunities extended it seems it was not enough to achieve the guest level of satisfaction.

Reviewed 17 February 2010

Let me start by saying BED BUGS. In our group of 70 people, after just one week, 4 of them have bed bugs bits/infections. The only thing the hotel did was move them to a different room. They did not clean their clothes, they did not offer them anything such as bar/food voucher for the inconvenience and mainly, they NEVER apologized. They didn't even offer to pay for the medical expenses that occurred as they are all on antibiotics, ibuprofen and topical cream. Please, search this problem with this hotel you will see it's an on going problem. If it wasn't for the fact that every hotel is booked (it's the Olympics) we would be moving to a different hotel. The costumer service is awful. They are very short and really don't give much assistance when asking for help. Many of us reserved refrigerators weeks prior to our arrival, only to find out there wasn't one in the room when we arrived. We've been asking daily for over a week for one, to no avail. We've given up. So seriously, unless this is the last hotel, I WOULD NOT STAY HERE. You literally are putting your health in risk.

2  Thank k2pooh

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the staff and management, please accept my apology for your disappointment.

To clarify, there were no bed bugs situations noted for this large group. The hotel's pest control company did check the rooms in question and discovered no activity.

The business company who allocated these rooms also extended the measure of having the employees checked by a medical practioner which resulted in the noted bites were not related or consistent to bed bugs.

Upon further consideration, all linen for the rooms in question were laundered using another brand, in case there was an allergic reaction to the existing detergent in washing all linen sheets and towels.

In regards to the fridges, the hotel has ordered an addtional 48 fridges in addition to the existing fridge configuration covering almost 150 rooms in total. Unfortunately we were not able to accomodate all requests as the demand was far greater than the supply. It was also properly communicated to all companies using the hotel during the Olympics of this particular issue and of the availability. It is truly unfortunate we were unable to meet your requests at this time.

Thank you for the comments, my apologies for you disappointment as it is also mine.

Reviewed 4 February 2010

I recently decided on a trip to Vancouver. Previously I had stayed at the Hampton (Hilton Brand) and was debating a return stay at that facility since my previous experience was not too bad.

I did some research and decided to try and stay at a different hotel. Using tripadvisor as my main source, in addition to Orbitz and Expedia, I kept noticing that Sandman Hotel was offering competitive rate and the location was right where I wanted! So, I went and booked my 4 night stay there.

Arriving at the hotel, for me the first thing I noticed was a busy lobby area and just couple of staff....having stayed mostly at Hilton, Hyatt and other business-type hotels, I was used to larger lobbies with several Bellmen, and multiple desk attendants, but I absorbed the experience and checked in. I was upgraded due to the fact that I was in town for a business.

The room, was spacious, wonderfully appointed, comfortable and met all of my needs. A few minutes after I had started to unpack my luggage, then someone knocked on my door, and a housekeeping manager appeared, carrying a large basket full of items (Snacks, water bottle and a letter signed by several managers welcoming me), I was surprised as I had not ordered anything. What a wonderful way to be welcomed, I thought.

I had a few things I wanted to do while in Vancouver, and so I went downstairs to the Front Desk and met Andrew and Miranda. Well, I cannot say enough about them. I spent the better part of 30 minutes chatting with them about what kind of restaurants I wanted to try and other things I wanted to do. They even called one up to make a reservation as I was there. I ate at Joe Forte’s, and was personally greeted when I walked in. I asked them how did you know my name, and they replied that Andrew had called them to let them know I was coming over. I was overwhelmed...I had never experienced such special attention at any other hotel. Later when I got the restaurant bill, I noticed that they comped me on my desert!

Everyone at The Sandman was gracious, smiling and helpful. I felt like I was staying with family....I cannot explain it any other way. Every morning I would come down and chat with their staff for a few minutes about what I was doing that day, and they suggested other things that I might do also.

The location is perfect, near to Robson Street and the bars, restaurants and stores, shopping area is only couple blocks away.....there are buses, sky train right nearby so there is no problem to get where you want to go.

I have to say that I did initially have some trepidation when I booked this hotel. I was not familiar with this hotel brand, but I was sooo pleasantly surprised that I would feel as if I betrayed them if I were to ever re-visit Vancouver and not stay at The Sandman. My trip was that special. That, I can safely say, is the kind of experience that makes it very easy to return time and time again to a hotel.

I can safely recommend The Sandman to anyone who is looking for a different type of hotel stay....one that does not revolve around a large, Business-type place (Hilton, Hyatt etc...not that I am knocking them). I cannot wait to return to the Sandman, I was that moved by my time there.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I was in Vancouver late November for interviews and decided to stay at Sandman Downtonw due to it's close proximity to the business district. The service I received from the time of check in to my departure was truly execptional. I relied on the staff for directions to the my many destinations including; tourist spots, restaurants etc. I will definitely be staying there the next time I visit Vancouver.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business