“Very gracious hotel with TWO dogs!”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We normally do not stay at more luxery hotels but this location and a specialer rate were to good to pass on. We received an upgrade to a corner room on the 12th floor with a grand view and it haqppened to be the 10k sun run weekend. What a sight. Wonderful bar and bar menu. A little pricey but decant portions. As hockey fans it was cool to be in that city. Many snack and dining spots nearby. Good for walking and people watching. Then there were the dogs; Beau and Mavis. If you have pets traveling without them is hard. Their wagging tails were a daily welcome sight.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 April 2011

For $200+ a night, I'm not sure this hotel cuts the mustard. Our room was understocked and way too warm (you could only lower the temp. to 65, which is plenty cool. But it never got down to 65 in there). Internet connect was $16/day extra, which is ridiculous. And at one point during our stay, I got off the elevator on the 2nd floor and instantly started choking/gagging. Turns out, the area had been maced! When I told the front desk person, she was decidedly nonplussed (a woman who has clearly never been maced). I didn't expect anything more than a little concern and perhaps a promise to get that area cleared out asap. But all I got was, "Oh yeah, I heard that had happened."

I don't know... it wasn't a horrible stay, not by any means. And in fact, the concierges were fantastic. But for that kind of money, you expect a little more. I won't go back. Next time, I'll try the Hyatt.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
HotelVancouver, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

Thank you for the note relative to your recent stay at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. Let me begin by apologizing for your encounter with the problem we had with a vandal spraying mace on the 2nd floor. This was certainly an isolated incident and we are very concerned it happened. Even more so I would like to apologize for the poor response from our Guest Service Agent. That is never a sanctioned action. Along with my leadership team we will be addressing both issues.

I thank you again, for your post and feedback. It is through constructive notes such are yours that we are better able to monitor the operation and make positive adjustments. We value your business and do hope you will let us have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Mark Andrew

Reviewed 31 March 2011

The Fairmont Vancouver is a classic old hotel that is rich in history. I had an outstanding stay there recently and would highly recommend it for a businesss or leisure trip. Great staff and beautiful building make for a great combo. Like many hotels, the doors open and shut very loudly in the hallways, so you might have a little trouble sleeping in if you hope to do that. Otherwise, an excellent spot.

Room Tip: Away from elevators at the end of a hallway
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel for a conference this last february. Due to a back condition I take my own pillow with me for these trips. Unfortunately, I left my pillow behind after checking out and didn't notice until I returned home in Victoria. We contacted the hotel and they found the pillow and were to ship it out to our address but after several weeks it never arrived. During this time I was sent a survey asking how my trip was. I explained about the pillow section and within minutes received an email back from the Director of Housekeeping (Paul Kingsbury) informing me that if my pillow did not arrive soon they would send a new pillow out at their expense. They sent a very luxurious Xanadu pillow shortly after. Talk about great customer service!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We chose the Hotel Vancouver for our one night stay in Vancouver because I had heard that they offer a service whereby you can take one of their resident dogs (Bo) for a walk. Not having a dog ourselves I thought this would be a lot of fun with the kids. Unfortunately when we arrived at the hotel the dog we were supposed to walk was not available due to an unexpected surgery. The staff bent over backwards to find us a replacement and within an hour we were taking "Mavis" for a walk. The commitment on the part of the concierge and on duty manager to make this right was commendable.
When we returned to our room there was a knock on the door and our children were presented with cookies, milk, a photograph of the dog and a little puppy stuffed animal each. They were thrilled !
We very much enjoyed the lovely gym and pool facilities and there is even a little wading pool for the kids.
This Fairmont was offering a special if you wanted to upgrade to the Fairmont Gold floor. For and extra $100 we went from a standard double queen room to a suite that was double the size, and because it was on the Gold Floor gave us access to the concierge and lounge on the same floor. That meant free appetizers, non alcoholic drinks, a DVD library, popcorn in the room and a lovely buffet breakfast. This was 100% worth it for our family of four and I would highly recommend it (even for the regular upcharge of $150/night).
I also recommend joining the Fairmont President's Club (free). This gave us free internet access- normally $16.95/day (although that is included on the Gold Floor), daily newspaper, and a few other perks including a card for 25% off food at the hotel and $20 off at the spa.
The only negative comment I have to say about the hotel is that as it is an older building there is some noise that can be heard from other rooms and the hallway.
One last comment. You will not find a better located hotel in Vancouver.
Well done Fairmont on a your fantastic service. We had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
HotelVancouver, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2011

Thank you for your kind words. It is so wonderful to hear you and your family enjoyed Fairmont Gold and were able to go for a nice walk with Mavis. I will share this with the concierge team, they always do their utmost to ensure our guests have a memorable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, "the castle in the heart of the city."

Mark S. Andrew

Reviewed 26 January 2011

We loved our stay at the Fairmont. Its central location was perfect for sightseeing, restaurants, and walking tours. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food was delicious.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bostarch
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights while in Vancouver, the hotel is centrally located close to all downtown areas in a landmark location. I have to say i was a little disappointed overall though im finding it hard to justify to myself why this is the case, Perhaps i had excessive expectations given the reputation of the Fairmont.

The reception and lobby areas are well maintained and portray the grandeur of the hotel. The rooms were a slightly dated but were clean and comfortable and maintained in the overall style of the hotel. The staff were friendly and professional, though i found their demeanor very business like as opposed to some hotels where you can feel genuine friendliness in the staff.

The only real complaint i have is that there was filming going on in the lounge on our second evening and we normally returned for a drink before bed. The manager in charge was pleasant but pushy and wasn't keen on letting us in until the director came over and said it was okay that they weren't ready yet . The whole issue could have been avoided if we were informed on check in that the filming would be going on and the bar closed on that night and we could have made alternative arrangements.

Overall it's a decent hotel and if you are getting a good deal on the room then it's worth a stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
HotelVancouver, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback. We always strive to make our guest's stay the number one priority and it is unfortunate that you could not enjoy our lounge during your entire visit. We are reviewing some of our internal procedures for managing film crews to ensure that they do not disrupt regular hotel operations. We hope you consider Fairmont Hotels & Resorts again in your future travels.

Mark S. Andrew