“A Major Disappointment”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We recently spent 3 nights at the Fairmont & were very disappointed overall. The Good- Mavis & Beau the 2 dogs at the Concierge desk that greet guests, the location is right in the middle of downtown, free umbrella for your use ( you will likely need it), front desk was efficient The Bad- bed was uncomfortable leaving us both with sore backs, bathroom has no space to set your toiletries and yet they could easily have a shelf for this, absolutely poor service in lounge, couldn't get service and once you did, trying to get a second order was just as difficult, drinks were very expensive, tried main restaurant, food okay, service was efficient. For a fairmont Hotel, this one doesn't measure up (unfortunately)

Room Tip: Go one of the other Fairmont Hotels downtown.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Dear Guest,
I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with me. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit to our hotel was so disappointing and I would be most grateful if you would contact me directly to discuss your experience in greater detail. My email address is rick.corcoran@fairmont.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Acting General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,426)

Reviewed 29 September 2011

The hotel is located right in the heart of the city, close to the shopping, fine dining and the sea wall. The character is unique and the service is what you would expect at a higher price. The rooms are clean and the bedding is fresh, with all the amenities that you will basically require. We have stayed here every year for the past four or five and will keep returning.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the art gallery.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Not our original booking, and more expensive than we had planned, but excellent quality. Didn't use the restaurant in the evening on either day but the breakfasts were excellent and the bar was too. Very well located and very nice rooms.

Room Tip: It's a big hotel and there can be quite a trek from some rooms to the reception area.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I have to admit, my review was mired by my first impression. I was driving to Vancouver. Arriving at this hotel is a challenge. I called the front desk while driving and the directions I received were not very good. So, after circling the streets of Vancouver, which is very easy since you can't make left turns, and everything is one way (as it should be in a downtown area), I finally get to the Valet entrance. However, it was blocked by a bus to the left and a taxi to the right. I couldn't fit a Prius in between the two. I figured the taxi would leave right away. No. It was just waiting there. The Valet was standing at his stand, not helping a customer, not doing anything other being attentive to no one.

Occasionally a tourist would get on the bus. After ten minutes, I got out of my car, leaving it blocking the side walk (I couldn't circle because I was now pinned in by another car behind me), and as I approached to the Valet he got a clue and told the taxi to move. My three month old puppy could have done a better job organizing the comings and goings of the Valet stand.

Check in was fine, bed was great, little bit of renovation kills the ambience, but hey, what can you say about that.

What I can say, is upon leaving I had to check my bag and asked the concierge where to check it. there answer : "Around the corner" Not around the corner to the right, or around the corner to the left, or what the real answer is : 'Around the corner to the ight and about 30 feet down the hall on the side, inconveniently out of view, "

So, after going around the corner, and not seeing anything and returning, I was greeted by " Do you want me to show you?" That pissed me off. So I just told them I went around the corner, but I had to guess which corner because it was a four way intersection.

When it was all said and done I will never go back. First, I really don't like old school hotels, but this location is great, and I sometimes get a kick out of the service old school properties provide, the over the top service the makes you wish you had money back in the day.

However, this was cluster and even though it is basically two blocks from our offices in Vancouver, I am not returning.

1  Thank onobed

Dear Guest,
Please accept my thanks for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit to The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. I am distressed to hear that you were left with a less than positive impression. I will be discussing the arrival and departure experience with my team at the front office as although we a busy downtown hotel, this is unacceptable. If you wish to discuss your experiences further, I would be very interested in hearing from you, my email address is rick.corcoran@fairmont.com.
My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback through which we are able to serve you better.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

Stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver during a conference in Sept. 2011 for 5 nights. Upon my early arrival, my booked room with King bed was not ready however I was immediately offered an upgrade to a Junior Suite with a queen bed. The suite consisted of two rooms with an archway between the two. The hotel itself is a throwback to the 40's. Very grand and elaborate, however, certain things are dated and border on worn out and tired looking. The furniture and curtains in the suite were very dated and the carpet had a worn out look to it. There was actually a very old tap that had been painted over that was sticking out of the wall in the sitting room! Bed very comfortable with crisp, new linens. You have to use your room card to use the elevator and there appeared to be a number of people unaware of this. A number of times, the card did not work and on one occasion both my room cards would not work in elevator or my room. Had to go to front desk to have cards re-set. There is a daily charge of $15.00 for internet, however as I was with a conference, it was built into the conference room rate. The Conciege service is excellent. All staff were very accommodating and helpful. Did notice the lighting in the room was not the best - only 3 lamps lighting the two rooms. There is a very nice modern fitness area which is very much up to date. Good location - close to all downtown areas - Waterfront, Canada Place Robson Street (shopping area), Pacifico shopping center & Gastown.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
HotelVan, Acting General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay at The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. I am following up with my team here at the hotel regarding the comments on the bedroom and the key mechanism in the elevators. I am pleased to share with you that our hotel is in the process of renovating a number of the bedrooms and guest areas over the coming months. Your constructive feedback allows us to focus and implement action on the priority areas such as recently completed upgrades of new double glazed windows in our guestrooms, to reduce noise from the city. We are constantly making improvements throughout the hotel to ensure that we can provide a memorable stay for our valued guests.

I hope when the next opportunity presents itself for you to visit Vancouver, you will be able to return to the hotel and experience these changes for yourself.

My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to stay at the older Fairmont establishment. While fully renovated, I personally love the old fashioned/historical feel of the hotel to the other 2 more modern Fairmonts in the area (Try the Fish and Chips in the lounge area of the Waterfront hotel, yummy! Best Ive ever had! The desserts are great too!). Apparently Queen Elizabeth the 2nd was at the opening of this hotel. Anyway, the staff was classy and helpful. The Concierge personnel are great! Really nice and friends and they take the time to really speak to you and not rush you off because some bozo is standing impatiently behind you peering in wanting his/her turn like NOW. They really add a personal touch to all of their interactions with guests no matter what room type they take or if they are on a govt rate as we were. Two precious dogs, Mavis and Beau, await you if you wish to pet, visit or walk them (their schedule is usually flexible :)) They are yellow lab/golden retrievers and are soooo cute and kind. Really well-behaved. Mavis gives you a paw to greet you and both can do tricks! Hehehe. Really nice dogs. Their owners are super nice as well! What is great about this is, if you miss your pet, you can have a bit of the comfort of having one while on vacation.

The rooms were clean and perfectly spacious. We were in a double queen size room and then switched to a King Deluxe room due to adding an extra day and availability or some such. The King room was huge! Ha! The Queen room was a regular sized room and perfect.

Tip: Use your card in the elevator to go up, especially at night. We werent told by the check in lady, so we looked pretty stupid haha. It happens to a lot of people though. Also, try the pool/hot tub after a long day on the town, it is really nice and usually not too busy. Finally, do call ahead to book High Tea reservations, you will be greeted and served by super friendly staff who allow you to take silly pictures of yourselves or just the food. Heheh. The sandwiches and scones were to DIE for and the Maple Maple tea? Just fabulous with sweetner and honey!

I fully recomment this hotel for the above reasons and also for the location. Located on West Georgia and Burrard...and Burrard and Robinson (takes up a whole city block) you are close to the pier, Robson, Shopping center, Granville Street, Gastown, etc. It's simply perfect! Also, if you hav e a weakness for LV and Gucci, look no further than your lobby ;)

PS We slept like babies, I loved duvet's!

Enjoy!!

Room Tip: The internet for us was free due to being valued members. If not, you pay 15-16 bux a day for 24/hr...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel downtown Vancouver for two nights.

I think my big complaint was that while we received a good rate, and it was my fault for not asking, the parking came to $43 CDN each day, blowing my budget. No one ever volunteers this information.

We have stayed in all the Vancouver Fairmonts, as well as Chateau Whistler, and I can't say this is my favorite one. Loved the dogs in the lobby, Beau and Mavis, so cute! I even bought the stuffed version in the room; yes, they got me! I used the fitness facility, and it was just a short stroll to the Starbucks to get my coffee. Back to the fitness facility - the second morning, two women and a toddler were in there, the child was screaming and wandering about while they were semi-working out, and it was not good, not to mention dangers and a liability for the Fairmont. I reported it via phone, and a young girl stated she had no problem with this! (I have encountered several very young employees at Fairmonts with somewhat flippant attitudes). I then interrupted my workout and went to the concierge, (she takes Beau home at night--smile) who was very nice and did not like what she heard and stated she would ensure the manager was aware of this issue. Other than that, the hotel was okay. Fairmonts are generally quite good. Good location, comfortable bed. Great dogs!!

Room Tip: This Fairmont is a historic hotel, and it is very nice. But if you desire something more up to date...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple