“A wonderful hotel in a great location”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“A wonderful hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We usually stay at the Fairmont Waterfront but chose this one due to the indoor pool. Our one bedroom suite was huge except for the bathroom which was quite small with little counter space. Even though the hotel is a classic, the room was updated and very nice. The indoor pool was great for this time of year and the exercise room had decent equipment. Room service dinner was excellent and the buffet breakfast was very good too. The location is perfect for shopping and not too far a walk to the seawall. The highlight of the stay for our kids was the dog at the concierge desk. It was so friendly and we couldn't walk past it without them stopping to pet it. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dcrose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Excellent location. I stayed there for a conference with colleagues and we had a good conference rate. For the money I paid, it was definitely worth but I'm not sure I would stay there again without that rate. The beds were really comfortable but the room was somewhat small, compared to other places I stayed in Vancouver. I was disappointed with the service. We didn't have the right number of towels in the room and it took us 2 days to get them, despite calling multiple times.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JulD
Mt Eliza, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Stayed here with my wife and two teenage children for 3 nights in December. This is a lovely, landmark hotel positioned perfectly in downtown Vancouver. We caught the train in from the airport then walked the one block to the hotel - a very easy commute.

We had two connecting rooms and were very happy with their cleanliness and the comfort of the beds. No room safes, which is unusual these days, but the hotel does offer free safe deposit boxes at reception.

The labaradors at the concierge's desk are a really nice, unique touch.

All in all, this hotel was an excellent base for exploring Vancouver on foot.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Kiwi in London
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Wonderful downtown Vancouver location with excellent service. However, having stayed elsewhere in downtown Vancouver, this does not strike me as good value-for-money. It is an expensive hotel to begin with and, on entering your room, you realise that ''everything is extra'', even to the extent that there is a little ''Fairmont Teddybear'' which you can buy, water at $Canadian8 per bottle and I was ''warned'' on checking-in, not to even attempt to touch the fridge if I didn't want anything in it, as I would be charged! For the per night room rate, I don't believe for instance, that water should be charged for as an extra. The one buffet breakfast I ate there was excellent, as was the service but the choices for eating breakfast elsewhere for much less were too great to eat there every day.

Wifi was also EXTRA and quite expensive.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am delighted that you chose to stay at our iconic property on your recent visit to the Pacific Northwest. I take your comments on board as we do with all feedback, through which we are better able to serve you, our guest, in the future. I would also encourage you to join our complimentary Fairmont Presidents Club Program which as an opening benefit, offers free internet access.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our “Castle in the heart of the city” in the near future.

Kind regards,

Rick Corcoran
Acting General Manager
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Not sure if it's a room, or a suite, but I used a Fairmont President's Club room upgrade certificate and ended up with the MOST AMAZING ROOM, 1405. It was huge, had great views, and a beautiful marble bathroom with an LCD TV in it. Luxury! When checking in, the room wasn't ready yet but the man checking us in told us that he recommended waiting because the room was so great. We had them hold our bags while we went down the street to get a JapaDog (so good!) and when we returned, the room was ready.

The room was amazing, as promised. It was one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in, and I like to splurge for a nice place to stay at least one night when I travel. This room was literally about 800 square feet. I'm not sure if it was a room, or a suite, or some kind of weird hybrid. Technically suites usually have a separate sitting area with a doorway, but this was just one big room: bedroom area on one side, sitting room area on the opposite side. Giant marble bathroom with an enormous soaking tub with hidden controls for jets and whatnot.

Unfortunately there were some loud Canucks fans in the suite next to us, so I called downstairs to complain and they offered to move our room. I figured I'd take them up on the offer since I had to get up at the crack of dawn the next morning to run a half marathon and didn't want to be sleep-deprived because of those fools. Someone came up to help us with our bags and showed us to the new room. Well, boy was THAT a disappointment: lower floor with lots of traffic noise outside, much smaller bed, old ratty-looking furnishings, dimly-lit with a small, cramped bathroom. Obviously not the same category of room - not sure why the person who changed our room thought they were comparable. I called back to the front desk immediately and was told them I wanted the last room back - I wasn't letting those loud Canucks fans stick me in this junky room after basically seeing the BEST ROOM EVER beforehand.

So obviously all of the rooms at this Fairmont are NOT created equal. I probably would have requested a different room even if they'd originally given me the second room we saw, because it really was unacceptable for redeeming a room upgrade certificate. (What would it be an upgrade from, a closet?) I'm wary of returning to the property without an upgrade certificate, and want to review this fairly for typical travelers who aren't loyal Fairmont guests. If you don't get your room upgraded, you may very well get stuck with an outdated, dark, unpleasant room from the 1970's. If you DO have an upgrade certificate, I would ask for room 1405 by name, because it was amazing.

I can't speak to the room service, restaurants, or anything like that but I can say that the concierge was brilliant - she really gave us some good tips on places to go and things to see, and got us some dinner reservations at the last minute.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie E
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We arrived on a very busy Friday afternoon one week before Christmas. Having requested early check-in long before, we were disappointed that our suite was not ready at 2:30. With our elderly mother in tow, we were asked to wait in the lobby lounge. When our room was not ready almost an hour later, we caught the eye of a manager in the lobby who handled things exceptionally well, picking up our tab in the lounge and taking us directly to our suite. He even made a dining reservation for us in the very busy hotel restaurant at a very nice table. It turned out to be a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I love staying at Fairmont hotels, the service is unrivalled no matter where we travel. We have stayed at all of the fairmont hotels in western canada and there was something really special with the Hotel vancouver. The city has really built up around this hotel and the location is within steps to amazing shopping, vancouver art gallery, endless restaurants and walking distance to the scenic beaches of vancouver. The hotel staff were really friendly, and upon check in, we recieved a free upgrade to a delux suite at an amazing rate. We enjoyed a massive hotel room with a peekaboo ocean view and classic marble bathroom. The only downfall of the huge room was the very tight bathroom space.

We also enjoyed the lobby lounge with amazing desserts and drinks at a reasonably extravagant treat, but the ambiance and relaxation and service make this lounge a great place to unwind from the hustle and bustle outside the hotel.

The only real issue with this hotel location is the parking & traffic. Our taxi driver missed the driveway at the back of the hotel and after being caught in a standstill in traffic, we unloaded at a bus stop on the front side of the hotel and hauled our suitcases up the steps, there are no bellman on this side of the building, or luggage carts. I am not sure where the vehicles are stored overnight for guests with cars as there is no parking on site.

The food, ambiance, service and location are amazing and i highly recommend it for a luxury city retreat or shopping weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Stay in the delux suite for space, but ask for one with a jacuzzi tub to get a more spacious bathroo...