“Nice old "grande dame" downtown”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
vancouver
“Nice old "grande dame" downtown”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We live in Vancouver but decided to stay here one night for our anniversary and become tourists in our own town. This iconic hotel is as nice inside as out. We stayed in a recently renovated small suite which was relatively quiet considering the location. The bed was very comfortable, decor appropriate for the property and dinner in the lobby bar "900 West" was excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Got to admit we only spent one night here as a stopover before catching the floatplane to Victoria so we didn't see too much of the hotel but what we did see, we liked. Used the in-room dining which was superb. No dinner on a tray here - you get the full dining experience with meals brought up on wheeled tables complete with all the trimmings plus an in-built hot plate to keep the main courses hot so you can have a relaxed 3 courses in the comfort of your room.
The room itself was very comfortable & the service from all the staff we met was excellent. It's located in downtown Vancouver & is just a 10 minute walk to the waterfront where all the cruise liners dock.
I'm giving this 5 stars because I simply could not find any fault with it.

Duncan
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Truly a fine place to stay. Outstanding customer service coupled with a fantastic heritage building make for a great experience. I was upgraded to a suite for free because of a very small and easily fixed clerical error from a previous stay (it wasn't anyones fault and I expected nothing, yet they insisted on "making it right") Thanks Fairmont! You rock!

Room Tip: Join the loyalty club for perks.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Marshfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I traveled to the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver for a conferencewith my work colleagues. As the nurse manager of my clinic, I was responsible for making all the travel arrangements. I booked 3 deluxe rooms with two queen beds in each. We checked in April 21,2012. When I saw the room we had been assigned, I was immediately impressed. The room was spacious, with a separate seating area. It was a corner unit with many windows and a balcony. However, we noticed a dog bed in the corner of the room, and after being in the room a few minutes, began to smell a “pet smell”. My roommate has pet allergies, so I immediately called the front desk to request a roomchange. They were very accommodating,and assured us they would move us to a comparable room right away. We received new room keys within 30minutes. The keys were delivered by a manager with apologies. We moved to the new room only to find that we had been moved to a standard room, much smallerthan the room we had originally booked. We called the front desk again, and they confirmed that this was NOT a comparable room to what we had booked, but it was what was available. They said they were completely booked, and to try again in the evening hours to see if any other rooms were available. After dinner, we went back to the front desk to see if another room was available. The front desk person had no record of our complaint, but did try to be accommodating to us. She was able to give us a newroom, and reassured us that it was comparable to the deluxe queen that I had booked. However, when we moved to theTHIRD room of the day, it was clearly still not comparable. We could have fit two of these rooms into our original room. Additionally, I inspected the other 2 deluxe rooms that I had booked that were now occupied by my other employees, only to find that they had humongous rooms with spacious seating areas and many windows with balconies as well. There was a clear distinction between the room we ended up in, and the first room that we checked into. I explained this to the front desk, and they kept assuring me that I was in a comparable room. When checking out, I was charged for the deluxe room and had to request that a manager adjust therate to the standard rate, since we did NOT stay in a deluxe room. At no point was there an apology, or a visit to our room to clear up the misunderstanding. I booked the deluxe queen rooms so that my roommate and I would be comfortable sharing a room, and instead we were tripping over each other the entire time, cramped in our room while our fellow employees raved about how “huge” their rooms were. I have stayed in Fairmont hotels before and expect a very high level of customer service. Instead, I was extremely dissatisfied with the service, and disappointed that no one made any attempts to appease me. I will not stay at the Fairmont hotel Vancouver,and I will have to give pause before booking any other Fairmont hotels.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Christie J,
Please accept my thanks for your taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us; it is through constructive responses such as yours that we are able to highlight areas for improvement within our operation. I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the experience that you encountered during your recent stay. I am following up with my Front Office and Housekeeping teams on the condition of your room on arrival and on the experiences you encountered following your room move. I would like to ensure you that the service you received is far from the level we strive to offer to our guests and this is not something that I will be taking lightly.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak to you directly. Could I ask that you email me with contact information so I can reach you via telephone or email to discuss your stay? My email is:
Andre.Zotoff@fairmont.com.

My thanks to you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with me.

Andre Zotoff
toronto
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Gold level service was fantastic Concierges were extremely helpful and went out of their way
The room was OK .Bathroom and carpet in suite a little dated

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We chose the Fairmont when we decided to check out of our first hotel because of the construction noise. We saw the hotel as we were shopping on Robson St. and loved how beautiful and elegant it looks on the outside. Because we did not have an advanced reservation, the only rooms available were suites or those on the Gold level at $400+ a night. As soon as we exited the elevator on the Gold level, we were met by 2 very friendly, enthusiastic concierges who showed us around the sitting/dining area and kitchen that was stocked with water, tea, coffee and other snacks. They were extremely helpful in suggesting placed for us to eat and visit Our room was a good size and we shared a living room with 2-3 other rooms. The room is furnished in a mahogany antique style which seemed a little blah. The bed needed to be updated with a new mattress and didn't seem to be the quality I would expect from the Fairmont. The bathroom was a little disappointing with a tub type shower, but the Le Labo bath products made up for it!

In the morning, we decided to check out the buffet breakfast on our floor and was very impressed. The buffet had eggs benedict, waffles, oatmeal, pastries, smoked salmon, fresh fruit, smoothies and more . My husband and I were made to feel welcome and were brought fresh juices and coffee while we relaxed and read the paper.

The hotel is very grand and it was nice to get the personal attention we received. The staff on the Gold level is top-notch and made our stay very special. As far as I'm concerned, it is the only way to go!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My husband stayed here for our wedding night and checked in very late. Having not eaten at our wedding, we were starving! There was of course no restaurants open. I just mumbled to my husband that I was hungry as we were checking in and the gentleman at the front desk just asked us to wait for a moment. He came back with a plate of assorted cheeses, crackers and grapes that they provided to us at no charge! They also upgraded us to a special area of the hotel, which was a much more expensive room! We were also provided with complimentary breakfast in our room, which was delicious.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple