“I am right and you, the customer, is WRONG”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 90 Hotels in Vancouver
“I am right and you, the customer, is WRONG”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We booked three nights at the Sutton Place, but upon arrival they told us they oversold and had to put us up here at Fairmont Hotel. In return to us being inconvenienced, they gave us a letter addressed to Fairmont to give us a room with free breakfast, free internet service.

We arrived at the Fairmont and handed the letter to the receptionist. Our room was on the 5th floor. The moment we walked out of the elevator we noticed that the hallway carpet was dated and had an unpleasant odor to it. We walked towards the very end of the hallway and found our corner room, small and again totally outdated. My husband and I both agreed this is NOT a 5 star hotel by any stretch of imagination. It was apparent that they put their dollars into maintaining and refurbishing their common areas, but cheap out on updating the rooms. We were very glad to move back the next day to Sutton Place. We used their internet service, but did not take advantage of the free breakfast.

Then a week later, we noted a charge on our card for their internet service. I emailed their billings department re: the letter we handed to the receptionist, expecting them to quickly drop the matter and credit our account back. Exactly the opposite happened .... the billing clerk Denise from Fairmont, insisted she was right, basically saying there was no such letter from Sutton Place. The battle went on for days via several emails involving Fairmont and the Sutton Place. To make a long story short, we ended getting an email from Denise which essentially said .. I'll give you your credit back, BUT for the record ... I am right and you, the customer, is wrong.

Room Tip: Not worth the money you nor the 5 star rating
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Guinevere and R... L
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reaching out to me with your concern.
Needless to say I was disappointed to hear of the challenges you had to encounter with regards your billing with us. This is not in keeping with our usual level of caring guest service.
We most certainly sincerely apologize for this.
I have brought these shortcomings you have outlined to the attention of the managers concerned for their follow up with the colleague mentioned.
If I ever can be of any assistance in the near future please feel free to contact me directly

Once again our apologies

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Very grand hotel - made feel welcome, staff very helpfull. Ice machine available, bad beds for people with back problems. Plenty to do as hotel location was great. Room cool. Cabs always out the front of hotel

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Sausalito, California
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I first stayed at the Hotel Vancouver in 1970. It was grand then and it is even more so now. Excellent staff, comfortable rooms, and the perfect location. It is now our "go to" place when we visit Vancouver, which is not often enough.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and be pampered on the 9th (Gold) floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The hotel was a perfect location for us to attend the Vancouver Art Gallery. We stayed on the gold level which was a complete luxury. Probably the best service I have ever received at a hotel. Beautiful quiet room. We had our little dog and we were treated very well from beginning to end of our stay!

• Stayed August 2012
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of July for a few days. This was our first stay at any Fairmont Hotel and it did spoil my first experience. The reception staff were very slow at processing our check in, and did not inform us that we were suppose to go the Fairmont President Club check in counter (as we were members). This would have made the check in process faster and better for us as we had just flown 15hours!

We were also NOT informed that additional charges were going to be charged to my credit card for "incidentals" - which there weren't any. I had to speak to the manager of the hotel, who was not very good at explaining why they were charging any kind of extra charges. I told him that he needs to train his staff better and they need to tell customers about the extra charges upon check in and not get a nasty surprise when they check their credit card.

The staff in the "lounge" dining area of the hotel were quite rude. They did not deserve any tip!

The room we stayed in is not for light sleepers, as we heard our noisy neighbours at all hours including their bathroom trips. Even the phone ringing in the next room for over 30mins at 5am!!!

The location of the hotel was good, as it was fairly central to all the sites we wanted to see.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank WorldTravellervm
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. On behalf of the hotel, I would like to extend my apologies to you for your trip not being up to your expectations and far from the level that we strive to provide for our guests. Your comments will be shared with the team here and we will review for opportunities to improve the experience that we provide to our valued guests moving forward.

Kind regards,

Andre Zotoff
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Since I prefer big traditional hotels from the early 20th century, the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver naturally caught my eye. This Vancouver landmark had been renovated within the last 10-12 years, so I was expecting the usual modern amenities, albeit within the limitations of a building constructed nearly 80 years ago. My wife and I reserved a king suite on the "concierge (gold) level". If you are a Presidents Club member, you really should consider spending a little more to experience this hotel-within-a-hotel. The staff were super-friendly by American standards (normal for Canadians, I guess). In particular, Rejean, Wilson and Yuki were exceptionally helpful without being obsequious. The only reason I did not give it five stars was due to the room being "just OK". It was about the size of a regular Embassy Suites room. Also, it was strangely noisy for a 1930's structure. Our toilet made a huge racket when flushed, and we could hear our upstairs neighbor very easily (luckily, the room above was empty most nights).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Murray W
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I would not hesitate to recommend the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver Gold floor - the service is unbelievable and the staff I think are the best of all Fairmonts anywhere - they are kind and genuine. If you want a truly great experience cehek it out - you will have no regrets!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business