“Lovely grand Hotel”

Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Austin, Texas
“Lovely grand Hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I've always wanted to stay in a Fairmont after seeing the ones in Banff and Lake Louise. This lovely grand hotel has seen it's better days, but they are renovating so it has a chance to redeem itself. The service was excellent, the staff was very nice and helpful. I'd recommend a drink in the bar, they have a vintage menu which was nice but pricey. Would have loved to see the top floor or ballroom which is closed except for spencial occasions. Very convenient to the sky train and central city. Once we checked in, they offered extras for $100 a night which included internet in the room, breakfast, and happy hour drinks, etc. Since we were sightseeing and not there a lot, we decided not to.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Overall Fairmont Vancouver is a great hotel. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the service is fantastic, the location is right in the heart of vancouver downtown, the gym is really well equipped for a hotel, the pool is really nice but it is expensive. Given there are lots of good accommodation options in Vancouver i'm not sure this one is value for money. We stayed in quite a lot of Fairmont hotels whilst in Canada and this is was the most comfortable. The beds weren't overly soft like the other ones and air conditioning actually worked in this room. If you have the money then i would highly recommend it but otherwise i'd shop around first...oh and there's no free wifi which is really strange given how much it costs...

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Good:
1) it's location. it's in the heart of downtown, close to both the City Centre and Granville skytrain station
2) walkable distance to Robson
3) love the LV and Gucci store in the hotel
4) the Griffins restaurant is just so-so. i would expect more from a 5-star hotel in downtown vancouver

Bad:
1) extremely difficult to connect to wi-fi using either iphone or android
2) if youo are the lucky one that was able to connect, it was extremely slow and intermittenly get disconnected. if you are here on business and need wi-fi for work, don't risk it
3) i am a platinum member and they provide me with workout gear when i stay. it was suppose to be in the room when i check in. unfortunately, the last two times when i check in after 6pm, they weren't there. i have to call and ask for it. horrible service
4) the staff are rude and unfriendly in general. even the guy at the president desk...he's grumpy
5) room is not clean. i found hair on the bathroom floor and tissue inside drawer
6) the rooms are dated. when are they going to renovate them???

this hotel used to be very good but not anymore. perhaps it's the new management. there are many other better choices if you want to stay in a downtown hotel.

Room Tip: join their club and you get free internet, but not much use when the wi-fi is so horribly slow
3 Thank JL J
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear guest,
Please accept my thanks for taking the time to share your feedback from your visit. I am distressed to hear that your stay was not up to par and would be most appreciative of the opportunity to discuss your experiences in more detail.
In the interim, I will be following up with my operational team here on the points that you have highlighted. Please be assured that this is not the level of service that we wish to provide and accept my thanks for providing me with your valuable feedback, through which we are better able to evaluate our service offering.
My email is sunny.joseph@fairmont.com, I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This lofty hotel in downtown Vancouver was built over a period of 11 years by the Canadian National Railways in partnership with the Canadian Pacific Railways and opened in 1939. It is truly one of the most majestic of the hotels built by the railway companies of Canada. It sits like a landmark in the heart of the downtown’s shopping, business and theatre district.

We stayed at this hotel as a fitting book end to our cross Canada rail journey. Even though a part of the front façade was under restoration, our stay was unaffected by it. We booked a Fairmont King bedroom. From the moment we arrived at the front door to the time we left, the service from the hotel staff was welcoming, impeccable and professional. The room was pleasant and reasonable in size, the furniture and bed were comfortable, and all amenities and supplies were superior. We had two armchairs and two racks for luggage (most other hotels provide only one of each). As members of President’s Club, we received complementary Wi-Fi and newspaper. The internet connection was fast.

The hotel’s interior, with its marble, brass, glass and chandeliers, invokes a feeling of grace and elegance. All areas are immaculately maintained. The breakfast room was grand and arranged to provide comfortable seating with sufficient distance between tables. The breakfast buffet includes fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juices, eggs, omelets, and other breakfast staples. Service is pleasant, attentive, and professional.

As frequent visitors to that city, we have stayed at several comparable hotels in the city. This one is a notch above, and we will stay here again!

Bottom Line: This is a perfect place to stay in Vancouver.

1 Thank Brijesh M
Kamloops
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is my hotel of choice in downtown Vancouver. The Fairmont Gold service was outstanding. Walking distance to business, shopping and restaurant options. My room was very comfortable and well appointed.

Room Tip: Choose Fairmont Gold if you are able. Very welcoming and attentive staff.
sunnyvale, ca
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Best hotel bed I have slept in. Or at least in the top five comfy hotel beds. Didn't even want to get up the next morning.

The hotel itself is grand -- it is undergoing renovations so I think I would pay a second visit after renovation to see how good it turns out.

Two blocks from the subway. Easy if you are coming from the airport.

They charge for internet. So I had to go off radar and took it as a break from everything, but I only stayed for one night. Longer stays that is going to be a huge bummer.

I am not sure whether this is just my own feelings: I have been to Canada a few times before and Canadians strike me as friendly and nice people. The front desk of the hotel gave an air of arrogance, in my opinion. Maybe I need to adjust my own 'arrogance-reader'?

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback from your recent stay with us here at Vancouver’s “Castle in the City”. We are very proud of our signature beds and I am delighted that you rate them so highly. I appreciate that it is a little late now but I would encourage you to join our complimentary Fairmont Presidents Club program, one instant benefit offers you free of charge internet access, this would apply at any Fairmont hotel. I will be following up with my front desk team regarding your experience as it is certainly not indicative of how we strive to treat our guests and I ask that you accept my apologies for such.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Vancouver on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The location is dynamite and........that's it. Booked in without being told the windows were covered with plastic for construction,and of course nothing else avail, 3 days in the Bat Cave ! The alarm clock although new didn't work and the telephone was a 1970's Northern Telecom that sounded like Marconi was on the other side. Elevator lights were sporadic and to add insult to injury no hot water for shower on last morning there......but you can't mistake the historic ambiance right ? Yeah that's the smell of 60 year old smoking room and 4 cans of Febreze. $16 bucks a day for internet, what a joke. The glory days of this place are long gone, total smoke and mirrors....literally.... actually too dark to see in the mirrors.Don't waste your money even if your company is on the nut. Only gave it a 2 because of the location, Never again.

2 Thank Sam B