“Opulence with No Frills”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver Island B.C.
“Opulence with No Frills”

Beautiful, old landmark.
Walking down the hallways reminded me of the Titanic hallways in the first class passenger suites.
Clean crisp, luxury linen and a specialty coffee maker but - overpriced because you are paying for the ambience. Anything other than the coffee/tea has special weight displacement sensors so that if you pick up a water ($8 a bottle, or a 5" stuffed animal $16 yes, $16 and just a generic one, not like it is a steiff or something) the computer downstairs will automatically register it to you account. So, if you want to put something of yours in the fridge, request one, because if you touch anything in the insuite fridge, or move the beer $6 a can it will be registered on your bill and will have to straighten it all out before you leave.
We were unable to use the pool/spa because of maintenance but were told we could go down the street to their sister hotel and use theirs, would have liked an email telling us.
Newspaper can be delivered each day but if you don't want it be sure to let them know or (although minimal) there is a fee.
And if you want to make some popcorn in your room or anything other than coffee/tea forget it, no microwave or any other appliance but you can order a bagel/crm cheese for $8 from room service but thankfully you are within minutes from various café's, restaurants and whatever.
They have an onsite restaurant but it is pricey, we have eaten there twice and the food was very good but only because we had an expense account, which is also the only reason we stay here, if we were to pay the full price for the room instead of the special rate, I would want a lot more perks because we have stayed in many varied low-high hotels over the years and access to luxury bathrobes and Victorian décor isn't enough for us, but if you don't have a budget and don't even need to look at you bill stay here because it is beautiful and the staff are wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Madzwolf
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take your comments on board and do review when we look for opportunities to improve the product that we offer to our guests. I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the experience that you encountered in regards to the pool/spa during your recent stay. I am following up with my Front Office team in regards to their communication of options available to you.

Yours sincerely,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Winnipeg
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Our stay was on the ninth "Fairmont Gold" floor. We had a suite with a king size bed. The furniture and decoration were excellent, but the layout wasn't the best. The lounge area was a bit of a bowling alley. We had two openable windows but they were single-glazed so street sounds came through easily. As long as you don't sleep on the couch, it's not a big problem.

The climate control system left a lot to be desired. We opened the windows to let in cooling air. When we asked the desk person if anything could be done, she didn't BS us but said it was best to shut it off and open the windows because it was an old hotel. I thought she was very honest.

The bathroom was well-equipped but had so much "stuff" on the shelf that we had no room for our "stuff", so I stowed some of their "stuff" on the floor.

So on to the best parts.... in addition to our room we had the use of three rooms as our "living room". There we ate our breakfast, had our pre-dinner appetizers, or a drink from the "honour bar". Breakfast was diverse and catered to any taste. My only complaints were about the smoked salmon, which was very oily and fishy tasting, and the coffee, which was always cold. But you could always get hot coffee from the automated brewer.

If you want to feel like royalty, a stay in the Fairmont Gold rooms will give you that.

Room Tip: Rooms away from busy streets will get less traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

If you were staying in an older European city, and stayed in a hotel like the Hotel Vancouver, you would think it was the most amazing hotel ever. Large, grand, old world charm, spacious rooms with small baths, located right in the heart of the city. The service is excellent and the staff are very well trained and courteous and helpful. For Vancouver, the Hotel Vancouver has simply been "the" hotel for a hundred years.

For me personally though, I prefer something more modern, with more modern conveniences, more modern furnishings, and a more spacious bathroom. Having grown up in Vancouver, I never had a need to stay in this hotel, but now, living elsewhere, I stayed there for three nights for a short conference. There are other hotels I would choose before returning to the Hotel Vancouver, but to each his own.

This is not a hotel that would ever disappoint you on service or grandeur, expensive shops or food. But the hotel itself, the hallways, the rooms all just feel "tired". I felt disappointed that I was not more impressed somehow. I probably won't be back to this Fairmont property, but they have two other nearby properties that are newer, modern, and more my style to enjoy.

Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I have spent MANY nights at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver over the years - both on the regular floors and on the Fairmont Gold floor and it has always felt like home away from home! There has never been anything I have asked the staff for that they wouldn't or couldn't provide. They truly understand thee meaning of customer service.

For a truly relaxing experience stay on the Gold Floor. A private floor, private lounge, breakfast every morning, mid-day snacks, and dinner time appetizers served every day (plus non-alcoholic beverages) and a full bar make for a great comfortable gathering place. And don't forget the concierge personnel dedicated to the floor to assist you in anyway they can.

Room Tip: I love the "alcove" rooms on the Gold Floor!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed here for two nights over the sun run weekend. Location is wonderful, service was excellent, rooms were comfortable but are really showing their age. Having paid a government rate we were not greatly disapointed but if we had paid full price would have been. Some upgrading is due. If the price was right we would return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear VicSunSeeker82,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am delighted that you chose to stay at our iconic property on your recent visit to Vancouver. I take your comments on board as we do with all feedback, through which we are better able to serve you, our guest, in the future. As we move forward, we will be giving our grand dame a facelift and renovating the product that we offer to our guests.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our “Castle in the heart of the city” in the near future.

Kind regards,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I have stayed at least 1/2 dozon times and the service is always 2nd to none. Parking valets and desk staff are always professional, helpful, and polite. The location is why I picked it. In the middle of Vancouver with walking to all there is to do from the seabus to Yaletown, Stanley park to Gastown. The service is why I keep going back.

Room Tip: Join the president's club.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I visited Vancouver for a business meeting last week and it was my first time in the city. I was housed at the Fairmont Hotel across from Pan Pacific and the Convention Center. The Fairmont chain is always synonymous with quality service and elegance and this property was no exception.

My experience from check-in to leaving was first rate. The rooms were tastefully furnished, had very nice views of the water and were spacious and well appointed.

The staff was top notch, attentive and courteous. It's always great to stay at a property where everything is completely perfect and leaves a visitor satisfied with all facets of the trip.

When I come back to Vancouver I will undoubtedly stay at the Fairmont again for it's tremendous service and nice proximity to the waterfront and business area.

Room Tip: Get a waterview room!