“A brilliant way to spend the Christmas holidays”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A brilliant way to spend the Christmas holidays”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My otherhalf and I spent a few nights on the Gold Floor just before Christmas last year. As Club Intrawest members I have previously spent most of my trips to Vancouver at the Wall Centre (which has designated Intrawest floors) but thought we would treat ourselves this year and were weighing up between the Fairmont and the new Shangri-La (being regulars at their chain elsewhere), and I must say that I think that we made the right decision for us.

The hotel in general

As visitors to Vancouver will know, the castle-like Hotel Vancouver is about as central as can be: brilliantly easy to get to from the airport via the SkyTrain (it is about 100m from the station), a short stroll to the bay, right next to Robson for shopping, and pretty easy to get around to Stanley Park on a sunny day so no complaints there.

Your initial impression of the hotel on entering is luxury, think the Ritz in London but with two resident Golden Retrievers there to welcome you. The Christmas decorations were also fantastic, and nothing like the gaudy ones in NYC where we had just spent 5 days. In previous years, however, I had felt that certain parts of the hotel felt a little dated so had been put off actually staying. However, when we were there refurbs were underway, and where they had been completed things were definitely looking fantastic.

It is not a modern city hotel, so do not go expecting that (maybe the Shangri-La or Pacific Rim would be better options if that is what you like: both beautiful in a stark, modernist kind of way). It instead reminds me of the older grand London hotels, with the comfort and familiarity of your own living room.

Fairmont's "Gold"

I would recommend to anyone staying at the Fairmont to pay the extra for the Gold class rooms. Though it may seem like a lot, breakfast is included (and delicious) in a private lounge, compared to the $20+ pp charged downstairs, as well as pre-dinner canapes (in reality, there is little need for dinner afterwards). The rooms themselves are certainly incredibly comfortable, and we have found the benefit of having a club lounge when visiting any city is invaluble to give a place to unwind with a tea and a snack. Unlike a lot of characterless hotel business lounges, this is actually like being in your own home: laze around in the wingbacks, make yourself a tea and settle down with a book and a cake (well ok, it is better than my home)

The biggest benefit of the Gold floor, however, was having the seperate conceirge. Yuki and her team were brilliant: always keen to help with any bookings, give ideas and generally chat. I cannot speak highly enough of them.

We come from the UK to Vancouver every other year or so, and love it there: I think that the Hotel Vancouver will now be our first stop.

Room Tip: Gold Room I am not sure whether we were lucky with the positioning of the room on a kind of corner...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2013

What a wonderful experience, I was unexpectedly upgraded from the already pestigious "presidents club" to the 14th floor where the Royals stay! need I say more....
I have stayed at the Fairmont on and off on business trips for more than 15 years. I always receive first class treatment and when, on rare occasions, an issue has evolved, I have been more than compensated for the mishap!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The service and personal attention at this traditional "castle" hotel is consistently high. It is centrally located in the best shopping area of Vancouver. While there are other very good Fairmont and non-Fairmont hotels in this city, this is by far where we prefer to stay.

Room Tip: Become a President's Club member and receive offers of upgrades at a reduced rate. Taking them u...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Nice furniture, Comfortable bed, Nice plasma Tv, Location is very good. Restaurant also good, nice shopping area, Louis Vuitton is in the hotel. Room service excellent. I must say that i had a corner suite, which was very nice.tay at this Hotel for one night. My room was very nice,

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Seattle
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have stayed in many Fairmonts. Had a very nice room on the Gold Floor. It was nice, pretty, with lovely molding. Comfortable bed and furniture. The hotel common areas felt a little small compared to the Fairmont Empress, or the Royal York but still elegant. The location is good for Robson St. stuff--pretty central. Staff was friendly. The one annoying thing is all the freaking fees--expensive parking--different taxes--destination fee (what's that?). So with all the extra costs plan on adding another $75 to whatever rate you 're quoted. I'd stay again if I got a good rate.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Vancouver Island B.C.

Beautiful, old landmark.
Walking down the hallways reminded me of the Titanic hallways in the first class passenger suites.
Clean crisp, luxury linen and a specialty coffee maker but - overpriced because you are paying for the ambience. Anything other than the coffee/tea has special weight displacement sensors so that if you pick up a water ($8 a bottle, or a 5" stuffed animal $16 yes, $16 and just a generic one, not like it is a steiff or something) the computer downstairs will automatically register it to you account. So, if you want to put something of yours in the fridge, request one, because if you touch anything in the insuite fridge, or move the beer $6 a can it will be registered on your bill and will have to straighten it all out before you leave.
We were unable to use the pool/spa because of maintenance but were told we could go down the street to their sister hotel and use theirs, would have liked an email telling us.
Newspaper can be delivered each day but if you don't want it be sure to let them know or (although minimal) there is a fee.
And if you want to make some popcorn in your room or anything other than coffee/tea forget it, no microwave or any other appliance but you can order a bagel/crm cheese for $8 from room service but thankfully you are within minutes from various café's, restaurants and whatever.
They have an onsite restaurant but it is pricey, we have eaten there twice and the food was very good but only because we had an expense account, which is also the only reason we stay here, if we were to pay the full price for the room instead of the special rate, I would want a lot more perks because we have stayed in many varied low-high hotels over the years and access to luxury bathrobes and Victorian décor isn't enough for us, but if you don't have a budget and don't even need to look at you bill stay here because it is beautiful and the staff are wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Madzwolf
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take your comments on board and do review when we look for opportunities to improve the product that we offer to our guests. I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the experience that you encountered in regards to the pool/spa during your recent stay. I am following up with my Front Office team in regards to their communication of options available to you.

Yours sincerely,

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations
Winnipeg
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Our stay was on the ninth "Fairmont Gold" floor. We had a suite with a king size bed. The furniture and decoration were excellent, but the layout wasn't the best. The lounge area was a bit of a bowling alley. We had two openable windows but they were single-glazed so street sounds came through easily. As long as you don't sleep on the couch, it's not a big problem.

The climate control system left a lot to be desired. We opened the windows to let in cooling air. When we asked the desk person if anything could be done, she didn't BS us but said it was best to shut it off and open the windows because it was an old hotel. I thought she was very honest.

The bathroom was well-equipped but had so much "stuff" on the shelf that we had no room for our "stuff", so I stowed some of their "stuff" on the floor.

So on to the best parts.... in addition to our room we had the use of three rooms as our "living room". There we ate our breakfast, had our pre-dinner appetizers, or a drink from the "honour bar". Breakfast was diverse and catered to any taste. My only complaints were about the smoked salmon, which was very oily and fishy tasting, and the coffee, which was always cold. But you could always get hot coffee from the automated brewer.

If you want to feel like royalty, a stay in the Fairmont Gold rooms will give you that.

Room Tip: Rooms away from busy streets will get less traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family