“Bad luck or what?”

Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Bethesda, Maryland
“Bad luck or what?”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Made a reservation two months in advance. Checked in the early afternoon and there were no rooms. Offered either a smoking room or another room with a fold-out sofa bed ("but with a good view"). I asked whether the smoking room stank and the receptionist said yes. I took the sofa room which looks like some sort of small day room with a big dining room table and sofa, no chair other than at the table and no desk, no cable for internet. It did have a TV, bathroom, closet, microwave and minibar. The bed was terrible; my feet were up and my head down and the mattress lumpy. They replaced the mattress to a regular thick one when I complained the next day, but still the box springs were shot and my head was sloping down. THe guy then put pillows under the mattress. My buddy, who checked in behind me, got the smoking room and said it did not smell, although he could smell smoke in the corridor.

Other issues:
The elevators would not work properly. I would punch my floor and it would not light up, with or without a card key. Thought it was my imagination or that my fingers were too greasy. However, once I got on with a a guy on another floor and neither of us could get the elevator to work. Hoped out and got in another elevator that worked. This happened about every other time.

The gym was just OK. There was a locker room, and showers, about four ellipticals and four treadmills. There were TVs on each machine but the reception was terrible. I don't think that they were hooked up to cable or satellite. There were very limited resistance machines. Did not check out the pool next to the gym.

Two big dogs in the lobby next to the concierge desk. I guess that they are mascots of the hotel.

Good location downtown, short walk to the big convention center, plenty or shops and restaurants near by.

Nice convenient train from the airport two blocks from hotel ($8 going, $4 return to airport).

All in all, not a memorable stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank James S
FairmontVancouver, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear James S,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay. While it sounds like there were some positive aspects of your stay, I’m disappointed that you were unimpressed overall. I apologize that you were not able to get the room that you had requested and for your trouble with the elevators. I understand that these inconveniences can put a damper on your visit. There is much to be enjoyed at the Fairmont Vancouver from our ideal, central location to rooftop dining. I’d love the opportunity to welcome you back and show you the true Fairmont level of service. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to earn your repeat business.

Yours sincerely,

Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I asked my husband to let us stay here after our cruise for my birthday present because I'd heard it was haunted. I'm forever haunt jaunting in search of ghosts for whatever reason. Sometimes I find them...or at least tales of them. As I always do at allegedly haunted hotels, I asked when we checked in if there was paranormal activity and, if so, could we please be placed in either a room reported to have it or on the floor where it existed.

The ladies behind the desk were really nice about explaining official hotel policy was to deny the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver was haunted. They did say every five or six years they might get a guest come down saying they'd had something happen, but it was rare. They did say Downtown in general had lots of rumors of ghosts and I might find some good ghost stories in some of the other local businesses. They might have rolled their eyes or laughed at me when I walked away, but they didn't do it to my face. I always appreciate when people humor my ghost questions. Even though I was sad not to get to stay in a haunted room or on a haunted floor, I was grateful they were professional with me.

Even non-haunted as it was, our room turned out to be awesome. Super spacious, with a nice view, and a closet that was amazing.

The Big Bus and Vancouver Trolley stops were just around the corner, but we were able to walk just about everywhere we wanted to go, including to Gastown, where we went for dinner. It was also just a few blocks walk from our cruise ship, which we opted to do rather than wait in the queue for a taxi. It was an easy walk all told, even with our luggage in tow.

The concierge was also amazing. She got slammed all at once with calls and a line of guests at the desk all with various questions. She patiently attended to each and every one of us, and answered our questions thoroughly without making us feel rushed to hurry on to another guest. She was one of the most brilliant people I've ever seen make everyone wait patiently, and let them know she'd be with us as soon as she could. This was one of the best birthday presents I ever got!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HauntJauntsGrl
Dear HauntJauntsGrl,

Thank you for your review. I hope you and your husband had a wonderful time on your birthday cruise. We’re honored that you chose to make the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver a part of the celebration after you returned to solid ground.

Guests stay with us for all kinds of reasons, and we always love to entertain those seeking a slightly unusual experience. A grand hotel with a long history such as ours accumulates no shortage of tall tales and rumours over the years. I’m sorry that we couldn’t more effectively indulge your preference for the paranormal, but you never know what you might find on a future visit.

I’m happy to hear that your stay was still a resounding success, and that you found plenty to love in and around the hotel. Isn’t it wonderful to be within walking distance so many great restaurants and shops?

I will be sure to pass along your compliments to the front desk staff and concierge. I think I speak for everyone here when I say, we can’t wait to see you again soon.

Highworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Vancouver during January for the last few days of our Canadian skiing/sightseeing trip. The hotel is grand and centrally located although the entrance if travelling via car is a little hard to find, especially if you follow the SatNav due to the one way grid system. We stayed on the gold floor and used the lounge most days. We found all staff friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious, well appointed and nicely decorated but did not have a great view. The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant, pool, gym and spa. Made friends with Mavis and Beau, the canine ambassadors. Would recommend and stay there again when next in Vancouver.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ade_Loz
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. It sounds like you had a fantastic trip through Canada, and we’re delighted to have been a part of it. I hope you enjoyed plenty of powder and blue skies while skiing! I also hope you took full advantage of being Fairmont Gold guest, including private check-in, continental breakfast, and afternoon tea. It’s great to know that the staff made a positive impression with friendly, helpful service.

We would all love to see you again soon—especially Mavis and Beau. A few head scratches, and you’ve made friends for life. Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to help make your next stay in Vancouver even better.

East Sussex
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Good central position. Rooms very average for price, rather small and bathrooms also very small, but you need to remember this an old hotel. Nothing spectacular and I agree with number of comments in the other write ups. One thing I did like was the free of charge safes in rooms. When we stayed the outside hotel facia was undergoing facelift and protective covering on windows meant constant twilight inside the room. Surprisingly quiet despite its central location with main roads on a number of sides. Reception very busy when we arrived and had to queue but staff were helpful and not rude. Again had to pay for wifi connection bah. I found it a bit strange that 2 very fat Labradors reside in the hotel lobby and wander about at will, perhaps some dietary advice needed. Apparently a quirky tradition. However the young man on the concierge's desk was utterly charming and helpful and his advice and attention was really appreciated. Strangely out of all the 'posh' chain of Fairmont hotels we stayed in on our holiday this was my favourite.

Room Tip: Cheaper to eat breakfast in one of the many places around hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheFamer
Dear The Famer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It’s wonderful to know that our staff made such a positive impression during your time here at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver—the concierge in particular. We make every effort to maintain the same exceptional service regardless of our occupancy level.

I do apologize that the hotel was undergoing a few cosmetic repairs and renovations during your stay. Though it sounds like it didn’t have a great impact on your experience, we always like for guests to enjoy the hotel in its peak form. Should you stay with us again—and I hope you do—you’re sure to see all of the architectural detail and spectacular views for which our hotel is known.

If there is anything else we can do at this time to make your recent trip or a future trip even better, please let us know. We look forward to upholding the title of “favourite” Fairmont for years to come.

hayling island
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

This felt like the poor cousin of the other Fairmont hotels in Vancouver. Quite tired decor and rooms old fashioned with dark furniture.

Food expensive so didn't eat there much. Preferred the Loden for service.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank beenrippedoff
FairmontVancouver, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear beenrippedoff,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your view of your recent stay, but I am troubled to hear that your visit did not meet your expectations. It's true that our hotel is known for a more traditional style, our guests are guaranteed to find all the modern amenities they've come to expect from a Fairmont Hotels & Resorts experience.

With first-class dining options and an unbeatable central location, we believe that The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver has a lot to offer. I'd love the opportunity to welcome you back and show you the true Fairmont experience. Please feel free to contact me on vince.chow@fairmont.com if I may be of service.

Your Sincerely,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Fairmonts are among the nicest places to stay..only sometimes it feels as if it's just too old to stay..i stayed there a couple nights and then moved..the place seemed nice ..not super clean but i couldnt really relax there ..bathrooms were small. exteriors like lobby and restaurants are undoubtedly nice and fancy..and the location is awesome too. but i dont know if i will spend the amount of money to stay there.. i would rather chose a nicer place than that.
i did like their breakfast service in the room though !!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank paulosray
FairmontVancouver, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear paulosray,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review of your recent stay, but I’m disappointed to learn that your visit did not meet your expectations. While we are known for a more traditional style, our property features all the modern amenities our guests have come to expect. That said, guest satisfaction is our highest priority and any lapses in the cleanliness of your room are unacceptable. We encourage guests to share any dissatisfaction regarding their guest room with the front desk, and we’ll make every effort to accommodate a change.

I know there is an exceptional experience to be had, and would welcome another opportunity to show you what makes our hotel so special. Please feel free to contact me on vince.chow@fairmont.com if I may be of service.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the fairmont this week. Most people would choose the fairmont because of its old world charm, elegance & sophistication. Due to this, and the hotels 5 star status, good service needs to be upheld.

Upon checking out, I mentioned we were unable to use our coffee machine in room because of white floating things inside it. The girl checking us out made a funny face, but didn't even acknowledge what I had said let alone apologies, or assure me she would let housekeeping know so the next guest isn't inconvenienced (not to mention it's clearly unhygienic).

I didn't really mind that much so I didn't press the issue.

An hour or so later I realised my credit card & drivers license had fallen out of my pocket on the street a few blocks from the hotel. My phone didn't have roaming switched on, so I rushed to the front desk to ask if I could urgently call my bank.

She said no. Straight up - no offer of assistance. "No - we can't dial out from these phones" was all I got. I asked if there was another phone I could use (we had only a few minutes before our taxi was arriving to take us to the airport to fly home) and she vaguely motioned me toward a phone in the lobby area.

I called the operator & asked to be connected to my bank, when he advised me that this phone was only to contact guests in the hotel. Why would she tell me to use this phone then?? I explained my predicament & he connected me to my bank.

I needed to use a 'dial 1 for English' option - and the phone handset didn't work, so I hung up.

By the. My taxi had arrived so I had to leave. He kindly let me use his mobile and the phone call took all of 2 minutes to fix & have my card cancelled.

Don't stay at this hotel - when your in a foreign city & need urgent assistance you are not shown any compassion or assistance.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah_jr01
HotelVan, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Sarah_jr01,
I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me. I am distressed to hear about your experiences at the hotel as they are a far cry from the level of service that we strive to provide. I would be very grateful to have the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in person and as such would ask you to contact me on Sunny.Joseph@Fairmont.com so I can arrange to make contact with you. Your feedback is greatly valued so that we are aware of when and where improvements are required.

Yours sincerely,