“Grand Hotel”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This Grand Hotel speaks to what first class travel and service is all about. From the moment I arrived I was treated like royalty by all the staff throughout the hotel. I stayed on the Gold Class floor and it was clearly superior. Staff went out of their way to assist and make my stay comfortable. This hotel has a fabulous location in the heart of Vancouver so it is perfect for the business traveler or tourist. My room was large, modern and fully up to-date so needless to say I was very comfortable. It was obvious to me this hotel was extremely well managed as operations ran as smoothly as a high priced Swiss watch. I highly recommend the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver.

Room Tip: Pay extra and stay on the Gold Floor
1  Thank Farrillr
FairmontVancouver, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Farrillr,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your time at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. Thanks for sharing a few thoughts about your experience. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff, including the wonderful individuals who make Fairmont Gold such a special place to stay.

I hope that you have a chance to stay with us again, whether for business or pleasure. As you noted, we’re well equipped to host any type of traveler, and look forward to providing more of the “first-class” service that you’ve come to expect. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help plan another great visit to Vancouver.

Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (3,423)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is long so feel free to skip to the "Too Long; Didn't Read (TL;DR)" synopsis at the end of this review.

We intended to spend a single night at the Fairmont Vancouver, having meetings throughout the afternoon, we had a business dinner in which we would meet friends and then leave the hotel early the following morning.

Things did not work out at all as planned.

It is perhaps important to point out here as well that we have joined the Fairmont President's Club recently - the idea being that with loyalty we could look forward to a better customer experience over time. This has worked well with Air Canada were we are are regularly Aeroplan Super Elite members and we have experienced the benefits that our loyalty provides.

We booked the hotel through the Fairmont President's Club Website and received our confirmation number. We had requested a stay for 4 adults and 2 queen beds. On arrival at the hotel and checking in at the President's Club desk there was no record of our reservation. I forwarded my confirmation email from my iPhone to the hotel staff member and it while the details were all correct, the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver were not expecting us. What struck me during this experience was the seeming nonchalance from the staff member before us. A room was found for us and we were told we had received a room upgrade for the inconvenience.

When we got to our room it was one with a single king bed, not the two queens we needed. We went back downstairs (which can take a while given this historic hotel's very long hallways) and now found ourselves standing in a lineup to speak to the person behind the President's Club desk. We phoned our friends who were to join us at the business dinner (and who would be coming back to the hotel with us) to tell them we may be a minute or two late but we at least had an upgrade! 10 minutes later we were on our way back up to our "upgraded" room to find it was just the standard room we had ordered. A quick call to the front desk, a very cheerful conversation with the staff ("we don't mean to be ungrateful but could we still get the upgraded room please?") and we were told someone would be up to our room "straight away" with keys to the upgraded room.

And we waited... 5 minutes... 10 minutes... as the 15 minute mark approached I called down to the front desk at the same moment a staff member did show up with the key to the "upgraded" room. Now we were running late and again, I was a bit surprised by the fact the staff member seemed in no hurry and did not seem all that bothered (this observation could be tarnished by the fact we were now in a hurry).

The new room... well... It was pretty much the same as the old with the exception of a small vestibule by the bathroom entrance. I had a quick shower but honestly, felt a bit annoyed that we waited all that time and were now late for a "upgraded" room that was really and to all intents and purposes, no upgrade at all.

I called the front desk again with a very polite, "I *really* don't mean to be ungrateful but..." discussion. The very polite staff member apologized and told me they would be happy to move us to a new room and please wait and someone will be right up with a new key. I thanked them and asked if it would be faster I came downstairs myself as we were really in a time crunch now... "No sir, we will send someone up right now". The room we were now moving to sounded great and I thought that despite the hiccups, the hotel was handling this as well as could be expected.

So we waited for the new key... 5 minutes.... 10 minutes... I phoned downstairs and explained we were now really late, and would not have thought about changing rooms if we knew the wait was going to be this long (after being told it would not be).

A member of the management team arrived as I was on the phone and took us to our upgraded room which really was nice. Classic, a separate parlor and bottle of complimentary, bottle of wine (along with late check out privilege). Well handled customer service to be sure, but now we were running seriously late for a very important business dinner. We mentioned our situation to the management team member with us, who offered to have us driven in the hotel BMW (again, excellent handling of the situation) but the problem was, we were late and this was really not good.

Embarrassed after showing up late for dinner we came back to the hotel with our friends to check out at 8:00am the next morning. We were not happy about the delays caused and our friends knew it.

Checking out at the President's Club desk I asked if our bill could be emailed to me. I was genuinely surprised when the staff member behind the desk told me that "there are no charges sir so there is no bill to send". "No charges at all?" I asked, "No sir, and no bill" was the reply.

Wow, this hotel had gone above and beyond and despite the hiccups had really turned the situation around and earned my loyalty! As we left with out friends we talked about good customer service, how it's "not what happens but how you handle it that counts" and how it is easier to keep a good customer than try and get a new one. Impressive...

... until the bill arrived via email a few hours later.

Here's the TL;DR

- I am really concerned when I book online, pay and receive a confirmation number and the hotel in question has no record and is not expecting me. As a business traveler I cannot afford to find myself potentially without a room (if the hotel was full), while on a tight schedule. I have no confidence at this point in Fairmont's online reservation system.

- With the exception of the management team member and the one person at the front desk I spoke with on the phone, service at this hotel was poor to terrible. Not what one would expect at one of this city's most prominent landmarks. The poor service we received caused us to be late for a very important business meeting and that impacted us.

- Don't tell a customer one thing ("no sir, no charge") and then do another (send a bill). I am happy to pay for the services I use, pay extra for better service even, but this situation was highly disappointing and speaks of numerous problems within this facility.

4  Thank Theitodds
FairmontVancouver, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Theitodds,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review, however I am very concerned to hear about your stay. Providing impeccable service from the moment our guests arrive until the moment they leave is a hallmark of the Fairmont experience, and I am troubled to hear that your stay was very inconsistent with that standard. I hope to be able to speak with you personally to discuss these issues in more detail, particularly regarding the miscommunication regarding the bill. If you could please email me at vince.chow@fairmont.com at your convenience with the best way to contact you, I will be in touch.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Pretty much anyone who lives in and round Vancouver has gone into the Hotel Vancouver- either for high school grad. (as I did nearly 50 years ago), to hear Dal Richards at 'The Roof' (now being renovated), or for a drink or a bite at the 900 West Restaurant or had afternoon tea.

But actually stay there, when there are umpteen great hotels within a few few blocks? Well- yes, because it is iconic, and well priced.

I enjoyed everything about my one night's stay recently. Good old fashioned oversized room, with a great bed, opening window (newly refitted with thermo pane, so quiet and not draughty).

Nice wide hallways and the grandness of the lobby, not seen very often in contemporary hotels.

But it was the attentiveness of the staff that really impressed- including the concierge and housekeeper who scrounged up a (new) pair of loaner swim trunks for me, gratis! The pool/health club area was built circa late 80's and in good nick with a lovely salt water pool.

Stay again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: The Classic, cheaper rooms face south. Less view but quieter.
1  Thank Peter F
FairmontVancouver, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear mistermaui,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. It’s wonderful to hear from guests who have made so many personal memories here. We are proud to be a part of Vancouver’s rich history and lucky to be able to share it with people from all over the world.

Our central location makes it easy to explore the city, but with that big, comfortable bed and luxurious guestroom waiting for you, staying in and relaxing is a fine option as well. Additionally, I am delighted to know that our staff was able to go above and beyond for you during your stay.

We would love to welcome you back for another stay. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to be of service.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My comments pertain to a stay on the Gold Floor. Our room was spacious, clean, quiet and had a good view (from 9th floor). The concierge was very helpful in booking our dinner reservation and a rental car. The continental breakfast and cocktail hour in the Gold Floor lounge had a nice selection of food and liquor. Overall, you can't go wrong if you stay on the Gold Floor.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We are locals who occasionally like to stay downtown. This stay was a "girls night out" with just me and my two daughters. We wanted a place close to shopping, where we could later relax with room service and in room movies. When I booked, i asked the difference between a Fairmont room (cheaper) and a deluxe room. Had stayed at property before, but had stayed in different categories. The reservations clerk told me the deluxe was larger and had a separate seating area. I booked it since we were going to spending a lot of time in the room. Got there, no separate seating area. Called down to the front desk, thinking perhaps we got the wrong room. No, they told me, some deluxe rooms have a separate seating area while other have an extra space outside the bathroom (which ours did). The extra space was totally useless for us. Told front desk I was disappointed but they didn't seem to care.

Still, we had fun and used room service 3 times. However, one of my children is vegetarian and the choices were very poor - much worse that most other Fairmonts we have stayed in. Have been brand loyal to Fairmonts, trying to stay there if there was one in the city I was visiting. Left feeling a little bit let down at some of the indifference I encountered from some of the staff at various places in the hotel (though room service delivery people were fantastic).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mommysdb
FairmontVancouver, Director of Operations at Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Mommysdb,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review of your recent stay; we very much value the input of our loyal Fairmont guests. That said, I am disappointed that your stay left something to be desired. Outstanding service and attention to detail are the hallmarks of any Fairmont stay, and I regret that your experience was not on par with that standard. I will be addressing this issue with my staff.

A little staycation is a wonderful way to enjoy some time as a family and you certainly came to the right place for shopping. I hope we can welcome you back again soon for another getaway highlighting the true Fairmont standard of service. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to be of service until then.

Sunny Joseph
Director of Operations

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The room was comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly. We were on the 4th floor so definitely heard the street noise. If we were to stay here again we would ask to be on a higher floor. We found the hotel restaurant expensive, however, there are lots of other options in the immediate area. Also, if you need to park here, it is pricey and had we looked into ahead of time, it would have influenced our decision on staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LA150

Dear LA150,

Thank you for your review. Due to our hotel’s central location, we do experience some ambient city noise, but over the years we have taken steps to create as peaceful an environment as possible inside the hotel. In the future, if you have any concerns with your accommodations, just let us know. Where possible, we are always happy to relocate guests to different rooms, depending on availability.

I understand that cost is always a consideration when travelling, which is why we make every effort to ensure all of our services are competitively priced for the best value. We pride ourselves on crafting extraordinary experiences here in Vancouver, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a getaway that truly wows you.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Staying at this hotel is like going back in time, but in most respects in a good way. There's no getting away from the fact that this is a massive and very traditional place and in some respects a bit tired, and the chintzy decor definitely won't be to everyone's taste.

We didn't like the firm warning from reception about moving anything in the minibar or the label which says you'll be charged $9 for a mid-sized bottle of Evian - all felt a bit old fashioned and cheap. Internet is expensive, which is again a throwback, but a tip is to avoid this, just join the Fairmont President's Club before you go.

That said, the hotel really grew on us over the three nights we stayed. The room was dated and some of the fixtures and fittings a bit aged, but it was spotlessly clean and the bed was really comfortable. The location in the heart of downtown is unbeatable, and you really get the sense you're staying in a Vancouver landmark. And the service, especially the maids and the concierge desk, was good on the whole. We got an excellent rate, perhaps reflecting that this is no longer a very top tier property.

The gym is well equipped and modern, although the pool has seen better days and the whirlpool foamed up in a way I'd never seen one do when we tried to use it.

And did I mention the canine ambassadors Mavis and Beau, who reside at the concierge desk? I'd visit again just to see them....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear NushNushandBooBoo,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your review of your recent stay with us. Our hotel is indeed a landmark in the city, and it’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your trip “back in time.” However, I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with a few of your in-room amenities, like the mini-bar and Internet. We always try to be fair and competitive with our pricing, and provide guests with many options. Your choice to take advantage of the Fairmont President’s Club membership was a great idea.

Despite these issues, I’m pleased to know that the hotel grew on you over the course of your stay. Great service is one of our hallmarks, and you can always count on our staff to go above and beyond. Finally, Mavis and Beau enjoyed making your acquaintance and would be delighted to welcome you back for another stay. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to be of service.