“Classic Grand Hotel in downtown Vancouver”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Classic Grand Hotel in downtown Vancouver”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

This is a landmark "grand" hotel in a great location in downtown Vancouver. Our stay was pretty much faultless, as you would expect given a hotel of this stature.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mcgdas01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 1 August 2010

A top-notch lodging experience in almost every way. Front desk staff was welcoming and accommodating, and the room was bright and beautiful, with windows that actually open and a great shower. Also a small fridge that I requested. Conference breakfast and lunch were outstanding. Great location for walking in the area and the hotel had an elegant yet somehow "homey" feel to us. Front desk even stored the package of Japanese popsicles my wife and I purchased on impulse before realizing our fridge lacked a freezer section. I was also impressed that reservation taker was willing to give us a significant discount from the conference rate when I inquired about extending our stay on our own dime. Minor deficits: bed & sheets not as comfortable as we expected and there don't appear to be any views of anything from this hotel. But we really enjoyed this grand old hotel and would readily stay there again.

Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank PGerard77
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2010

My first impression of the hotel was good. It is located very close to Robson Street and adjacent to the Art Gallery. The lobby is large, opulent and contained various designer shops such as Louis Vuitton. However, there was a problem with the lobby. Unless you want to have tea or coffee, there are no seats for guests to sit on. He picture on www.fairmont.com/HotelVancouver/ showing the chairs (with flower patterns) and coffee tables in the lobby is deceiving and completely inaccurate. The sit-down area no longer exists and has been replaced with a watch shop (Omega from memory).

I also visited the levels above the lobby and it was grand. Marble staircases, and elegant and classy decorations.

Now the rooms. My room was plush, clean and of an adequate size. The decor was attractive and beautifully appointed and it was evident that the hotel staff were extremely attentive to detail. There was a luxurious collection of soaps, shampoos, body lotions etc. but the internet was not complimentary which I think is unacceptable for the amount I was paying.

I enquired Into the local attractions and for directions to various points of interest - the staff were very efficient and knowledgeable. When I requested for extra towels, they responded to my request within a couple of minutes. However, I must comment on the lack of assistance of the hotel staff when it came to carrying my luggage upon arrival. There were no porters to help carry my luggage - as a group of twelve, we were all carrying our skis, boot bags and luggage for a 2.5 week holiday. I was unimpressed by this lack of service which I expect from all 5 star hotels. We had to later carry all the luggage to our rooms.

Ignoring my criticisms, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. It was mostly what I expected from the Fairmont line of hotels and I highly recommend it to people who want to splurge.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We spent a night here for our honeymoon - the website made it look far better than it was. The lobby was smart, but as soon as we got onto the corridor leading to our room, we realised it might be a mistake, given the price we had paid, as it smelt musty and had not been decorated for a long time. We entered the room, which looked like it had not been touched since the 1980s, and smelt old too. Probably the bed was the only new thing in there. The showerhead was yellow and a shaving light, which looked like it was made in the 60s or 70s, was hanging off the wall and made of bakerlite (see pics). So the room was far too expensive. Then we decided to make a local call, which we were charged for. In Vancouver, this is free usually. It wasnt a large cost, but it was an addition on everything else. The internet was CAD 10 for 10 minutes, which is an utter rip off these days, and then to add insult to injury the valet parking was over CAD 30 for one night.

If you want free calls and free internet - offered as standard at other hotels, you can opt up to a more expensive package (!!)....the only positive was the breakfast in Griffins restaurant which was excellent.

The hotel is a tourist trap - we have stayed in far better places in Vancouver for far less money, and if you want to spend any time here, just have the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Manitoba
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This is a classy hotel. Try the cornflake custed french toast. Delicious! I have that every time I'm there. The beds are very comfortable and housekeeping cleans and tidies up well. The service is great. the emplyoees are very helpful. The location is prime close to the metro and shopping areas. There were three pools. one was a kids pool, another was a lap pool, and another was the jacuzzi. the pools were clean and quiet.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Tequesta, Florida
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights prior to an Alaskan cruise; first time ever visiting Vancouver.

Our first impressions, arriving around 8pm at night was that the lobby was bustling with activity....folks in the lobby lounge & all throughout the lobby area coming & going to events & out into the city. One odd issue immediately upon arrival was that there was no bellman....I would expect this class of hotel to offer assistance with our baggage...luckily, we were able to handle it on our own but after traveling nearly 12 hours, a little help would have been a better welcome. I will note however, we arrived off the street entrance having taken the skytrain from the airport rather than by car where maybe that is where a bellman would be available--not sure. However, the front desk clerk never offered or mentioned the availability of any assitance.

We had a standard room which we were told was "upgraded" to a galley view (I guess it was because the view was of the next door Art Museum? View was ok. There was quite a bit of noise coming from the street when the window was open; but it was quiet quiet when closed.

We enjoyed the dogs--Mavis & Beau..when they were on duty. We used the pool (indoors) a couple times and it was very quiet & not used by many people. There was a large swimming pool, a smaller one (not sure if it was a children's pool or what) & also a jacuzzi tub. There was also an outdoor area outside of the pool where you could sit & lounge if the weather was warm.

We were on a package that included breakfast -- we had the buffet in the mornings. Service was fine. Food was fine. Noticed that the walls next to our table was splattered & needed cleaning. Also on the cleaning issue, I was sitting in the hallway on our floor waiting by the elevator & noticed that the table was absolutely covered in dust. Someone had written in the dust. The following day....it was still there & left the impression that it had been there for quite awhile....I would expect better attention to cleanliness from Fairmont.

I liked the location however, if I were to visit again, I would take a very close look at the other Fairmonts down near the waterfront & also the other hotels there. I think I would have preferred staying down in that area, but it was a close walk & it was also closer for us to get to Robson Street for tons of restaurants & all the shops.

We did not have a car & used solely public transportation, walking & taxi's to get around--it was fine.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Being a Platinum member at fairmont and having stayed at this hotel many times I was expecting the normal excellent quality and service. Upon arriving at the hotel after my child who was checking in before me I was faced with very long lines at check in. Being unwilling to wait and forced to make an emergency visit to the hospital I left immediatly. This, for the first time was a problem and attempted to get my son to fix things. When my son went down to fix it, the staff were rude and unwilling to help. After several phone calls with the hotel from the hospital, I decided to have my son check out early and change hotels to avoid added stress. This caused further issues and after a conversation with the manger on duty my son was embarrased at having the manger both talk down to him and threaten various actions such as an "investigation". THis far from simple solution lead to my family staying at the Sutton Place which was very nice as usual. Although I am a loyal presidents club member, I dont see myself staying at this location in the near future, especially due to the new fairmont on the water.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family