“Lovely elegance”

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Great large room in the heart of the city that was virtually soundproof of outside noise. The only noise was occasional hallway conversation. Lots of ambience. Totally convenient in the downtown area. A bit tricky access to valet/drop off. Staff wonderfully courteous and gracious. I wish there had been free internet access from the room though.

1  Thank FaustinaMaria
Write a ReviewReviews (3,426)

Reviewed 12 August 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at the Fairmont. It was like a throw back hotel that treated you well with a newspaper in a cloth bag in the morning. Pricy though, but go ahead treat yourself, you deserve it!

1  Thank pkoonce
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We love the Fairmonts in general, but this one in particular. As a member of their loyalty program you do get treated like royalty and enjoy so many wonderful perks. Spacious rooms, great location and all the amenities make me want to go back again and again. Great breakfast buffet too and we loved the fact that they even provide workout clothes for you! Bar is nice place to chill as well.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank MyTraveliciousLife
Reviewed 4 August 2010

This is a landmark "grand" hotel in a great location in downtown Vancouver. Our stay was pretty much faultless, as you would expect given a hotel of this stature.

1  Thank mcgdas01
Reviewed 1 August 2010

A top-notch lodging experience in almost every way. Front desk staff was welcoming and accommodating, and the room was bright and beautiful, with windows that actually open and a great shower. Also a small fridge that I requested. Conference breakfast and lunch were outstanding. Great location for walking in the area and the hotel had an elegant yet somehow "homey" feel to us. Front desk even stored the package of Japanese popsicles my wife and I purchased on impulse before realizing our fridge lacked a freezer section. I was also impressed that reservation taker was willing to give us a significant discount from the conference rate when I inquired about extending our stay on our own dime. Minor deficits: bed & sheets not as comfortable as we expected and there don't appear to be any views of anything from this hotel. But we really enjoyed this grand old hotel and would readily stay there again.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank PGerard77
Reviewed 27 July 2010

My first impression of the hotel was good. It is located very close to Robson Street and adjacent to the Art Gallery. The lobby is large, opulent and contained various designer shops such as Louis Vuitton. However, there was a problem with the lobby. Unless you want to have tea or coffee, there are no seats for guests to sit on. He picture on www.fairmont.com/HotelVancouver/ showing the chairs (with flower patterns) and coffee tables in the lobby is deceiving and completely inaccurate. The sit-down area no longer exists and has been replaced with a watch shop (Omega from memory).

I also visited the levels above the lobby and it was grand. Marble staircases, and elegant and classy decorations.

Now the rooms. My room was plush, clean and of an adequate size. The decor was attractive and beautifully appointed and it was evident that the hotel staff were extremely attentive to detail. There was a luxurious collection of soaps, shampoos, body lotions etc. but the internet was not complimentary which I think is unacceptable for the amount I was paying.

I enquired Into the local attractions and for directions to various points of interest - the staff were very efficient and knowledgeable. When I requested for extra towels, they responded to my request within a couple of minutes. However, I must comment on the lack of assistance of the hotel staff when it came to carrying my luggage upon arrival. There were no porters to help carry my luggage - as a group of twelve, we were all carrying our skis, boot bags and luggage for a 2.5 week holiday. I was unimpressed by this lack of service which I expect from all 5 star hotels. We had to later carry all the luggage to our rooms.

Ignoring my criticisms, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. It was mostly what I expected from the Fairmont line of hotels and I highly recommend it to people who want to splurge.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We spent a night here for our honeymoon - the website made it look far better than it was. The lobby was smart, but as soon as we got onto the corridor leading to our room, we realised it might be a mistake, given the price we had paid, as it smelt musty and had not been decorated for a long time. We entered the room, which looked like it had not been touched since the 1980s, and smelt old too. Probably the bed was the only new thing in there. The showerhead was yellow and a shaving light, which looked like it was made in the 60s or 70s, was hanging off the wall and made of bakerlite (see pics). So the room was far too expensive. Then we decided to make a local call, which we were charged for. In Vancouver, this is free usually. It wasnt a large cost, but it was an addition on everything else. The internet was CAD 10 for 10 minutes, which is an utter rip off these days, and then to add insult to injury the valet parking was over CAD 30 for one night.

If you want free calls and free internet - offered as standard at other hotels, you can opt up to a more expensive package (!!)....the only positive was the breakfast in Griffins restaurant which was excellent.

The hotel is a tourist trap - we have stayed in far better places in Vancouver for far less money, and if you want to spend any time here, just have the breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple