“This is not your parent's old-fashined hotel!”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
New York City, New York
“This is not your parent's old-fashined hotel!”
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This is not your traditional hotel, thank goodness. The Opus lobby is a real wow for the senses. Obviously the staff is cherry-picked for their attractiveness and to go with the young, contemporary and stylish looks this hotel exudes. Where else would you find a lobby person dressed with coordinated purple infused dress shoes to match their striped dress shirt and the lobby lighting? This hotel is all about design and fashion.

The standard guest room can be a little on the small side; but, it is amazingly comfortable. The clean, all white sheer curtains gave the room a large look. I loved the crisp pressed white bed linens. They felt so good.

The nightly turn down service is sensational. There is a total blackout shade rolled down at turn down to give the late night celebrants the chance to sleep in. There is even a small stereo system in the room that is tuned to really nice music at turn down. The bedside carafe of drinking water is useful and an environmental friendly alternative to plastic water bottles. Like an ocean liner, the best housekeeping service is that which is never seen...it just magically happens. And so it is at the Opus.

Controlling the lighting in the room was a bit confusing and one needs to go back to the switches at the room's door to control them. And if the hotel could get the neighboring building's 7:30 AM waste removal truck to come later would be a welcome treat for late sleepers. The high speed internet service, while a little pricey, was excellent.

The bathroom toiletry amenities are pretty nice, too. The bathroom is clean and stylish with its glassed-in shower, that could easily accommodate two people, and sparkling metal sink basin. The overhead shower heads feels so good, even if having to shower alone!

The room has a generously stocked mini-bar which I did not discover until I was preparing to depart. That was probably a good thing for me. There was a vast collection of "goodies " discretely hidden away in the base cabinet which could sustain a party for two should they elect not to emerge from the room for a couple of days.

It would really be hard to find something not to like when stay at this hotel...even if staying alone. This is one sexy little hotel...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
melbourne australia
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Im an Aussie and was searching for a place to stay first by myself, then with my boyfriend for our week in Vancouver...after asking some local friends which is 'the' best area to stay in ..based on proximity to cafes/ restaurants/ location/ safety (when I was alone .all of them unanimously stated 'Yaletown'..so thus found the Opus..thanks to Tripadvisor!
Its really the only hotel in this part of Downtown Van ..in a more locals oriented neighborhood...lots of apartment buildings..no other chain hotels nearby..yet its still within walking distance (everythings pretty easy to walk to in Downtown Van) or department stores, the Skytrain station is diagonally across the road (underground) so super easy to get from the airport or to get to ...anywhere.!!..Rogers Arena is close by for Ice Hockey or a Stadium for Football/ A short walk brings you to the Waterway where the Aquabus takes you to Granville Island or the Seawall...the walkway along the waterways that takes you everywhere ...You must hire one of Opus Bikes whilst there....They have Cruisers and Mountain Bikes..Helmets/Locks which are free for quests...We took them out twice for the day whilst there...rode to Stanley Park...Lunched at Go Fish on Granville Island both times...loved that artsy area and the whole harbour feel...

All Staff from Reception to the Guys at the Door/Valets and cleaners..were absolutely wonderful to us.. so friendly, professional and accommodating with all kinds of tips..on what to do, see, eat... drink!! It has of course a very fashionable, hip, vibe but from what I saw the hotel attracted all kinds of people...all ages, business people, holiday makers, those that dressed up, those that dressed down/casually (like ourselves!) The bar and restaurant area hosts alot of functions and we were there in the pre-Christmas festive time so lots going on...one night the Restaurant had a special Industry Night and all house guests were even invited to attend..I thought this was a really nice touch by management.

Rooms were amazing..we stayed in a Deluxe Terrace Room that overlooked the courtyard area that faces inside..(Id read it was quite noisy so requested this after contacting Opus) so thus i cant comment on any potential noise issues faced by other rooms maybe directly above the bar on those weekend nights..but we LOVED this room...It was the Orange one shown...so warming in the winter months...the doors opened onto our own little patio complete with table and chairs..was a bit chilly in winter but how nice for the warmer months...loved that you could open the doors and windows, felt like we had an apartment...
I actually asked to see some other rooms for 'Next time' and though all are great, if you can , upgrade to a superior room, the bathrooms face the outside and they are gorgeous...you can see it in the photos but made all the difference to the feel of the room. Bright and airy...
Note : all the windows open ... a difference from some of the chain properties and so much healthier..Also loved the bath products, quality of the robes, that heated floor..(how will we cope without it!!) the water pressure was fabulous-huge showerhead. I really miss that bathroom ..and I have stayed in many many hotels around the world

The bed was so comfortable, loved the little treats left each night, inroom Starbucks..perfect!

I looked in the gym, its smallish but is modern and has all the major equipment plus free weights to use, water etc...

They charge for inroom Wifi like many other properties, but I used the Computer Room daily..no one was ever in it and they had 2 Huge Macs and Printer...

I didn't eat in the restaurant or have drinks in the bar preferring to explore but both were always busy.. the restaurant looked lovely though....will definitely go when next i stay
Headed to the Gastown area for breakfast and lunch..Try "Revolver' for Coffee! "Meat and Bread' a favorite Lunch spot too for the Carnivores out there...Markets at Granvile for casual fare and Go Fish and.... too many restaurants to mention steps away from Opus...

This is a true Boutique Hotel with excellent service and facilties...I extended my stay as didn't want to move to our next place. Its the perfect location..

Cant wait for my next visit!

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms face inwards, onto a small area with plants...very quiet! Deluxe Garden Terrace Roo...
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Opus Hotel Vancouver went out of there way to make my sister and I comfortable, well attended to and impressed. We enjoyed fun treats that were set up in our room prior to arrival. Once we arrived one of their staff brought up some water and a whether card. She was so kind to show us how the stereo worked because we asked about music. The room was really fun, urban and beautifully laid out. The heated bathroom tiles were fantastic. The bed and comforter were beyond amazing. They are making me rethink my own... We were surrounded by windows with the option of pulling down a solid blind that made it feel like walls. 2 flat screen tv's, a very cool partition awesome local art on the walls. I realized I forgot my toothpaste and called up for some. The person who brought it up also brought a toothbrush which was perfect because my sister forgot hers. We had breakfast in the restaurant which had some good choices, but our server wasn't the best. Besides that we had an amazing time. It was really neat to see that there was an airport check in kiosk in the business room. They are very into keeping up on what is new and fresh. Fantastic boutique hotel experience. Oh ya and greeted with apple cider and champagne!

Room Tip: King Suite on East side
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Salt Spring Island, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We had a great night at the Opus hotel in Vancouver. Really attentive and quick service, amazing room and an all round great stay. Standouts were the delicious calamari and drinks from the new Cento Notte restaurant... and the perfect double espresso. When a place is already great then it is the small details that really make the difference.

Room Tip: look online for their specials. Our's included welcome cocktails and breakfast.
Winnipeg
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Wonderful hotel, great staff and great area recomend to all to give it a try

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2011

If ever you visit in Vancouver the Opus is a MUST! Very classy and very clean place to experience. Staff is amazing. Check out the shoes on the ushers. The rooms are too cool! Slick bathrooms. And the hotel location is superb. Yaletown is exciting and alive. Terrific restaurants near by. Sorry but please don't miss the lounge - very fashionable site. Definitely worth the $

Room Tip: Featherless request is respected. No smoking - we stayed on the top floor.
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We were looking for a hotel in the Yaletown area as our Christmas party was at a nearby restaurant. When looking at hotels on Trip Advisor I read both the good and bad reviews. While ther weren't many bad ones, I did have some concern about complaints about noise from the club/ disco.

We had booked a Superior King and when we were checking in, I told them we wanted a quiet room. The clerk at the front desk said they had us booked in a room on the 2nd floor but they would see what else she could find. I also mentioned that I have a free room upgrade coupon from Trip Advisor. She was very helpful and moved us to a Deluxe King on the 6 th floor (room 601) at no additional charge. The room was very nice, great shower and VERY quiet.

I find some of the comments from other guests to be very strange and all I can say is they MUST go to these hotels trying to find things they don't like rather then enjoying themselves.

The staff was friendly, the room was good, breakfast was excellent, overall, a very pleasant stay. Try not to be so picky people. With the Internet, you can easily check what a particular hotel looks like, what the rooms are like and what the amenities are. If you are looking for things that a typical smaller boutique hotel doesn't offer like 24 hour room service, a pool etc then stay somewhere else. Otherwise, this is a perfectly nice hotel to stay at with a great location for the
Yaletown area.