“Great service - convenient location”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I stayed at the Opus Vancouver. The location is great. Right in the middle of some wonderful restaurants and pubs. The Canada Line station is right across the street, which made traveling to and from the aiport and downtown Vancouver very easy and affordable. The Opus staff were very professional and friendly. The hotel is very trendy; the room was a good size and very clean and bright; and the food in the restaurant was very good. I highly recommend staying at the Opus, whether you are in Vancouver on business or just getting away with family.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 October 2012

By way of background, my wife and I used to live in YaleTown for a short period of time 3 years ago, and we often would stop into the Opus Hotel bar as it is located opposite the Canada Line station, and a few blocks from our condo. We were recently traveling in British Columbia and intentionally decided to spend our last night of our vacation in Vancouver and specifically chose the Opus Hotel for our familiarity with it and its location near our favorite haunts in YaleTown.
While we thoroughly enjoyed being back in Vancouver – how can you not – and plan on returning many times again in the future, the Opus Hotel will not be our hotel of choice.
Where to begin…….how about arrival. We arrived early on a Friday afternoon and as is often the case with boutique hotels, our room was not ready – no surprise here. It would have been a bonus, but it was not expected. The receptionist was cheerful and personable, and promised to faithfully call me on my cell when the room was ready. We left our bags behind and told her we were off for some lunch and a stroll in YaleTown. “No worries, I’ll call you in a bit. I checked with housekeeping and your room should be ready in about an hour” were the last words we heard from the receptionist……and they were her last words as we never heard from her again. Now, yes this is a petty issue but don’t say you’re going to do something and then don’t.
When we eventually got our room key, I saw that it was on the 2nd floor. Being familiar with the area, I asked if there were any rooms on a higher floor. “No, we are completely booked up”. Now this is 4PM and how every room is completely allocated….well, not wanting to be confrontational as were staying only for one night, I let the room location slide. Much to my chagrin later that night, as the sounds of YaleTown revelers at 2 and 3 AM kept us sleepless in YaleTown. Why one builds a hotel in a bar-congested area like YaleTown and don’t invest in better soundproofing windows is amazing to me. So, future Opus Hotel attendees, beware unless of course, you plan to be one of the alcohol buzzed denizens of the night – then you found your hotel.
Strike 3 is as follows: That specific Friday night was my wife’s birthday and after some discussion, we chose to try the new restaurant in the Opus Hotel – La Pentola - over some of our Vancouver favorites. I called from the US in early September and made a reservation directly with the restaurant and letting them know that it was my wife’s b-day. On the day of arrival at the hotel, we went to see the new restaurant and we met with the hostess, where we reconfirmed our reservation and restated that we were celebrating a b-day. We asked if we could pre-select our table, and the hostess advised us that if we were to show up 15 minutes earlier than our reservation, then we would have a number of seating choices. So, we show up 15 minutes early, the restaurant is perhaps 1/3 full, the hostess recognizes us and proceeds to take us to the absolute worst table in the place – the dreaded table right by the swinging kitchen door. My wife and I never sat down, just stood and stared at the hostess with the “you got to be kidding me look”. She then proceeded to take us to maybe the 2nd worst table in the restaurant – you all know it, the one table that most diners and that all wait staff have to walk past. Now again, the restaurant has plenty of empty tables so it wasn’t the case of few options. The hostess eventually recognized the displeasure on our faces and then took us to one of the better tables.
I have such disregard for restaurant hostesses that display such contemptuous attitude playing these” table games”. As a paying customer, who needs this.
Now to be fair to the kitchen staff, the quality of the meal was outstanding, and while the service of the wait staff was inconsistent ( kudos to the water girl who was extremely attentive), overall the dining experience was good.
A final warning to future guests – just because you’ve paid top dollar for your hotel room (AND you also have to pay for wireless internet service in your room - c’mon Opus Hotel – really – charging for wireless!) and you’ve just had a $200+ dinner……don’t go expecting that you can just sit down anywhere in the hotel lobby for an after-dinner beverage. No, of course not because the Opus Hotel has VIP areas cordoned off in the hotel lobby bar and beware of the Lobby Bar Hostess police officers because they are there to protect the sanctity of the velvet rope at all cost. Can you just smell the attitude.
I laughed when I received a post- stay survey from the Opus Hotel with a statement that they want to be the world’s best boutique hotel. Yeah right. Over many years of travel I happen to have stayed in many of the great boutique hotels in NA, Europe and Asia, and Opus Hotel Vancouver, you’re not one of them.

Room Tip: as high up as possible, or perhaps another hotel
3  Thank RK502
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear RK502, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay with us. Your experience is definitely not what we have become renowned for over the years since opening and wanted to express our sincere apologies. At this point I would love to have an opportunity to invite you back to OPUS, and to make the situation right. If you could simply contact me directly at my email address of ngandossi@opushotel.com, I would appreciate your time.

Nicholas Gandossi

Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stayed at the Opus after a seven day Alaska cruise, with an eye towards spending one day in Vancouver before returning to the States. We could not have been happier. The comments of the other reviewers are spot on -- convenient, comfortable, trendy, friendly. The front desk staff took plenty of time to recommend places for us to visit during our (one) afternoon, and then provided excellent information about dining options. If stylish bath facilities are to your liking, then the Opus is for you. The water taxi is a 2 - 3 minute walk; we also walked around much of the downtown area. We asked for a wake up call and a taxi, and both were prompt.

There is a recent review of the Opus that says that the hotel is pretty beat up and the bathrooms are dirty. The only thing I can think is that the person chose the wrong hotel for her review. The place was spotless when we were there on September 30th, and we saw no construction in the bar or restaurant. Our bathroom looked like it had just been remodeled -- everything was in perfect shape.
We were on floor five on a Saturday on the street side, and were not bothered by bar noise.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

As a design magazine publisher, OPUS Vancouver was on my list of hotels to check out. Full disclosure, we ended up working out a contra deal for our 4 night stay. You may be thinking, "of course you enjoyed your stay, you're media". But sadly, not always the case with contra, often times this can put you in the low-priorty category as far as amenities and services go. However, I can honestly say we felt completely pampered the entire time. As far as design goes, the hotel did not disappoint. Everything from the lobby interiors to the guest rooms designed by Robert Bailey are stylish and chic—clearly inspired by 70s glam—with Arne Jacobsen chairs, metal beaded space dividers, and bold pops of color. In the room we were surprised to find the washroom positioned right in front of the windows. We were in a west-facing room and though the nightlife outside was, well, present most of the time (this is a hotel in the city after all) the position of the washroom pushed the sleeping areas back into the room and we were effectively not bothered by the noise. OPUS may be our "place" every time GRAY magazine comes to town.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2012

It was my first time visiting Vancouver and a friend recommended the Opus Hotel. We had an amazing experience and would stay there again! We received complementary champagne upon check in which was a nice touch. We loved the in room iPad that we took with us exploring and the GPS helped us navigate our way around. Take advantage of the complimentary car service as it is exceptional! Nathan and Chris took great care of us and were very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Nice hotel, great Yaletown location, a bit of a hike to downtown shopping. The rooms themselves are nice, comfy bed, nice decor, well appointed. They even have Ipad's in room for usage, but you have to pay! Lots of chargers for i-devices, digital cable, big tv. The bathrooms were a bit older feeling, lots of subway tile, and all glass showers, which is great, but did feel a bit worked over. there was visible stain on the grout, it just felt a bit old. Excellent L'occitane toiletries, the hotel has lots of nice features, the lobby, the bar, the elevators are all nice looking, staff was very helpful. For the price however, I felt like I would have rather spent the money elsewhere. If you are wanting to not leave the hotel all weekend, it might be great, but if its going to be a room to sleep in, you can likely pay less for a comparable room.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the entrance on Davie street, which has the most street noise I feel. Maybe as...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

The place is pretty beat up. The bathrooms are dirty and full of mildew. Disappointed to say the least. When. We checked in you get a complementary bottle of wine. We got to the room, the bottle was half drank and there was 2 dirty wine glasses. The next evening we went to the bar (which is a whole different story. In a nut shell they never mentioned the bar and restraunt were under construction. The one they had downstairs was extremely beat up and ghetto). So my hubby and I went downstairs to get a coup,e drinks. Our total bill was $24. I gave the guy a $3 tip so $27 total. When we checked out our tab (it was charged to the room) was rang up as $47. Super shady! I would NOT reccoemnd this hotel!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear CarolinK, I wanted to firstly pass along our sincere apologies for the various points you mentioned that occurred during your stay with us. I can only tell you how shocking and surprised we were upon reading your feedback. Since opening, we have pride ourselves on our consistency in delivering a high level of service and product, which in turn has reflected in our guest satisfaction ratings. Your comments are being followed up directly with each of the departments respective managers. If you could allow me an opportunity to better understand all the details to ensure everything is corrected. I would very much appreciate any time you may have by contacting me on my direct line of 604.694.2102 or via email at ngandossi@opushotel.com

Nicholas Gandossi