“Inauspicious start, but a pleasant stay in the end”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The stay didn't begin too auspiciously as we arrived an hour or so before check-in time, so we went for lunch & came back just after the time they'd advised. Different person on reception this time - not ready yet; about half an hour more. After 45 minutes, I spoke to a third different person who immediately got us into our room though the initial excitement about arriving in Vancouver had diluted somewhat, and we never got the welcome chat explaining about the hotel's facilities etc. However, things improved vastly after all this and we had no complaints. Room was good size & with nice furnishings, although calling it "courtyard deluxe" led us to imagine some pretty view which wasn't the case! Still feel the hotel overall could've been a bit better, as we avoided the reception desk after the poor start so I wonder if we fully explored the hotel's amenities or not. It's a good hotel overalll, and it's worthy of 3½ points out of 5, I think

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by "Courtyard Deluxe"; doesn't mean anything special. Decent size...

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Ive stayed at numerous luxury & boutique hotels around the world but I still remember Opus as being quirky, having excellent food, excellent location. Loved it! Organized a party there and everyone still talks about the place.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank AnnaJunni
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Excellent service, beautiful spaces,funky vibe, incredible restaurant. Steps from public transit and in a very walkable neighborhood that is sure to have something to please everybody!! Loved our stay, looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the penthouse as there was a deal going on...tons of room, chic decor, ergonomic desk a...
1  Thank Rachel U
Reviewed 20 October 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Opus for an excursion to Yaletown. We are originally from Pasadena, Ca. The Opus is a vibrant hotel to visit to relax, tool about town or uncover specialty items in shops that you did not know you needed. Since we were new to the area, we had lots of questions - mostly how to get from point A to point B. The concierge staff were outstanding in their service, but Chris and Jeremy took the gold star. We never felt as if we were peppering them with too many questions or worse than that receiving the plastic smile of "please depart from my prescence". They were affable, generous with their time and genuinely pleasant. If the cash flow allows, we will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room off Davie Street.
1  Thank Adrian F
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my first stay at the Opus in Vancouver. The service was friendly, professional and prompt and my room was decked out with everything a busy business person needs to relax (including an Ipad for use during my stay!). Highly recommended for anyone traveling on business who wants a change from the run-of -the mill service and stale decor provided by the bigger chain hotels. I will be back.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I stayed at the Opus Vancouver. The location is great. Right in the middle of some wonderful restaurants and pubs. The Canada Line station is right across the street, which made traveling to and from the aiport and downtown Vancouver very easy and affordable. The Opus staff were very professional and friendly. The hotel is very trendy; the room was a good size and very clean and bright; and the food in the restaurant was very good. I highly recommend staying at the Opus, whether you are in Vancouver on business or just getting away with family.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2012

By way of background, my wife and I used to live in YaleTown for a short period of time 3 years ago, and we often would stop into the Opus Hotel bar as it is located opposite the Canada Line station, and a few blocks from our condo. We were recently traveling in British Columbia and intentionally decided to spend our last night of our vacation in Vancouver and specifically chose the Opus Hotel for our familiarity with it and its location near our favorite haunts in YaleTown.
While we thoroughly enjoyed being back in Vancouver – how can you not – and plan on returning many times again in the future, the Opus Hotel will not be our hotel of choice.
Where to begin…….how about arrival. We arrived early on a Friday afternoon and as is often the case with boutique hotels, our room was not ready – no surprise here. It would have been a bonus, but it was not expected. The receptionist was cheerful and personable, and promised to faithfully call me on my cell when the room was ready. We left our bags behind and told her we were off for some lunch and a stroll in YaleTown. “No worries, I’ll call you in a bit. I checked with housekeeping and your room should be ready in about an hour” were the last words we heard from the receptionist……and they were her last words as we never heard from her again. Now, yes this is a petty issue but don’t say you’re going to do something and then don’t.
When we eventually got our room key, I saw that it was on the 2nd floor. Being familiar with the area, I asked if there were any rooms on a higher floor. “No, we are completely booked up”. Now this is 4PM and how every room is completely allocated….well, not wanting to be confrontational as were staying only for one night, I let the room location slide. Much to my chagrin later that night, as the sounds of YaleTown revelers at 2 and 3 AM kept us sleepless in YaleTown. Why one builds a hotel in a bar-congested area like YaleTown and don’t invest in better soundproofing windows is amazing to me. So, future Opus Hotel attendees, beware unless of course, you plan to be one of the alcohol buzzed denizens of the night – then you found your hotel.
Strike 3 is as follows: That specific Friday night was my wife’s birthday and after some discussion, we chose to try the new restaurant in the Opus Hotel – La Pentola - over some of our Vancouver favorites. I called from the US in early September and made a reservation directly with the restaurant and letting them know that it was my wife’s b-day. On the day of arrival at the hotel, we went to see the new restaurant and we met with the hostess, where we reconfirmed our reservation and restated that we were celebrating a b-day. We asked if we could pre-select our table, and the hostess advised us that if we were to show up 15 minutes earlier than our reservation, then we would have a number of seating choices. So, we show up 15 minutes early, the restaurant is perhaps 1/3 full, the hostess recognizes us and proceeds to take us to the absolute worst table in the place – the dreaded table right by the swinging kitchen door. My wife and I never sat down, just stood and stared at the hostess with the “you got to be kidding me look”. She then proceeded to take us to maybe the 2nd worst table in the restaurant – you all know it, the one table that most diners and that all wait staff have to walk past. Now again, the restaurant has plenty of empty tables so it wasn’t the case of few options. The hostess eventually recognized the displeasure on our faces and then took us to one of the better tables.
I have such disregard for restaurant hostesses that display such contemptuous attitude playing these” table games”. As a paying customer, who needs this.
Now to be fair to the kitchen staff, the quality of the meal was outstanding, and while the service of the wait staff was inconsistent ( kudos to the water girl who was extremely attentive), overall the dining experience was good.
A final warning to future guests – just because you’ve paid top dollar for your hotel room (AND you also have to pay for wireless internet service in your room - c’mon Opus Hotel – really – charging for wireless!) and you’ve just had a $200+ dinner……don’t go expecting that you can just sit down anywhere in the hotel lobby for an after-dinner beverage. No, of course not because the Opus Hotel has VIP areas cordoned off in the hotel lobby bar and beware of the Lobby Bar Hostess police officers because they are there to protect the sanctity of the velvet rope at all cost. Can you just smell the attitude.
I laughed when I received a post- stay survey from the Opus Hotel with a statement that they want to be the world’s best boutique hotel. Yeah right. Over many years of travel I happen to have stayed in many of the great boutique hotels in NA, Europe and Asia, and Opus Hotel Vancouver, you’re not one of them.

Room Tip: as high up as possible, or perhaps another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RK502
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear RK502, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay with us. Your experience is definitely not what we have become renowned for over the years since opening and wanted to express our sincere apologies. At this point I would love to have an opportunity to invite you back to OPUS, and to make the situation right. If you could simply contact me directly at my email address of ngandossi@opushotel.com, I would appreciate your time.

Nicholas Gandossi