“Great hotel!”

Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We celebrated our anniversary by staying at the Opus Hotel where they had this fabulous special. Included was ½ bottle of champagne, large gorgeous orchid, framed photo (you email the photo) and continental breakfast. It was very appealing and perfect for such a celebration.

Situated in Yaletown across the street from a Skytrain (rapid transit) station and 1 ½ block walk to water, it’s in an area with some history and character as well as newer condo buildings. The hotel itself is quite modern with a boutique feel and is currently being redone (the sixth and seventh floors are finished). We were fortunate to get room 701 which I recommend. It’s on the top floor and facing the courtyard; while no view, it was very quiet, even with the window partially open.

The rooms are uniquely decorated. Ours was large with a king size bed, purple walls, large gas fireplace across (and to the left) of the bed. Beside the fireplace is a settee. The fireplace was très romantic at night. The bathroom has a heated floor and a separate very large shower and tub (L’Occitane products). The room was recently redone and very clean. We arrived to our room to find the champagne on ice, fabulous orchid, photo of us, personalized card and little bowl of banana chips on the large desk. It was all most impressive.

Small things I enjoyed: coffee maker with good quality coffee, creamers in the bar fridge rather than powdered creamer, water in a carafe (not bottles) brought up to the room soon after arrival, and a recycling section in the garbage container.

The iPad (3G) and $14.95/day we didn’t use as we were just there overnight but it certainly would be very convenient for those from out of town. It was nice to have an iPod docking station.

Great staff; consistently friendly, helpful and professional. The only downside was the scent in the lobby. They’ve been trying this as something new and it was my only complaint as I avoid hotels with scents (I mentioned this to the staff when I was there). Fortunately, there was no scent in the room so once checked in (or out), you can mostly avoid it.

I would definitely recommend the Opus Hotel.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet; some rooms have gas fireplaces.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luckyfour
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Luckyfour, we wanted to thank you for choosing OPUS Vancouver, and for taking the time to post your comments. Congratulations once again on your anniversary, we were very pleased to be part of your special occasion. We're glad to hear how much you enjoyed your OPUS experience, especially being in one of our revamped rooms. We're happy to announce that all of our rooms will be completed by April 1st of this year. Hopefully we will get another chance to welcome you back to OPUS, at which time please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Nicholas Gandossi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My wife and I had a great time staying at the Opus. The room was a good size (for an urban hotel) and the bathroom was nice although our room design had the bathroom against the outside of the building meaning the entire wall was a window. So we kept the blinds down the entire stay meaning we essentially had no window in the room. But we didn't spend much time in the room during the day so it wasn't a huge deal.

The staff were all friendly (as are most Canadians we encountered) and helpful. They were able to point us in the right direction, hail cabs, and store our luggage on the day of our check-out. The business center was nice when I needed to print boarding passes.

Best of all, there was an cellular-enabled iPad in the room that we could bring with us as we explored the city. This was invaluable as we are not from Canada (yet) and didn't have cell data to use maps or anything on our phones. So having the iPad was great as we were also looking for future apartments as we're moving there soon.

Luckily I had an iPad case with me to protect the one they provide. Otherwise I would have been too worried about bringing it with us. I'm not sure if they provide cases but if not, it would be a good idea.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justin J
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear Justin J, thank you very much for sending along your comments and for choosing OPUS Vancouver. We love the fact that you enjoyed your OPUS experience, along with all of the amazing Canadian hospitality! For your next stay, we do have several iPad cases for guests to use at the front desk, as we definitely encourage people to take them off property and go mobile. Here is wishing you all the best for your upcoming move to our beautiful city, but hopefully we will have another occasion to welcome you back to OPUS in the near future.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Thanks to the lovely staff. Beautiful rooms. Great food with a great feel. Value for money and knowledgable staff is key. Everything you need at your disposal! It would be easy to be subpar in downtown Vancouver! Not the Opus. Top notch service and a whole team of people who go above and beyond.
I would stay here again and again!

• Stayed February 2013
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed at Opus Hotel from Feb 7, 2013 to Feb 9 ,2013. My stay was
really great and the front desk people & Housekeeping were fantastic!!!!

The surrounding area is also fantastic, lot's of places to eat. Train to the airport is located across from the hotel. Robson street is walkable!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Did you know that this hotel is pet friendly? In fact the whole neighbourhood of Yaletown is pet friendly. Can't say enough about the front desk staff. Except for our favourite hotel in Venice Italy these guys are the best that I've ever come across. Fast, efficient, warm and friendly. We had to bring our puppy to Vancouver to be tested at Central Hospital. Reservations offered a late checkout because our puppy wouldn't be ready till after 3 PM. Can't say enough about Opus....we'll be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fred C
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear FredC, we wanted to say thank you for choosing OPUS Vancouver, and for passing along your comments. As you pointed out, we are very "pet friendly", which is why we do not charge a daily pet fee. We do hope your puppy is happy and healthy, and that we get an opportunity to welcome you all back to OPUS in the very near future!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I had the pleasure of staying three nights at the Opus between Christmas and New Year's 2012. I appreciate the warm welcome and friendliness displayed by Camilia at the front desk upon check in. It was a pleasure talking with her as I enjoyed my complimentary wine. I would also like to recognize Nathan and Toby. They always greeted me by name and were willing to offer a helping hand.
I was upgraded to an "orange" themed room overlooking the courtyard, as requested. I found the room to be pleasant and comfortable. I particularly liked the complimentary iPad found on the desk for use during my stay. I wish more boutique hotels in the states would offer iPads as an amenity. Nice touch, Opus. I liked the glass and the look of the bathroom. I do, however, suggest, adding a full length mirror somewhere in the room. I did experience a bit of hotel noise on a busy Saturday night, but nothing too bothersome. I look forward to returning to Vancouver and the Opus!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Travelgirl1874
OPUSHotel, General Manager at Opus Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Travelgirl1874, thank you very much for choosing OPUS Vancouver, and for taking the time to post your comments. Since placing the iPads in all of our guest rooms in March of last year, we continue to hear more and more positive comments from our guests, like yours, stating what a great addition the iPads have been to the overall guest experience. Thank you as well for acknowledging the various staff members for the service that they provided, along with your suggestion on how to enhance our guest room. Hopefully all of the staff will get a chance in the very near future to welcome you back to OPUS!

bc
Reviewed 23 January 2013

After flight delays into Vancouver and the Skytrain trip to downtown, what a pleasant reception upon arrival and check in- a cold glass of sparkling wine. Brilliant!

Quiet room, very clean and the fellow at the front desk thoughtfully offered me a room down the hall more suited to my quick overnite stay than the original booking.

Would definitely return and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business