“"Club Scene & Loud" yet beautiful hotel”
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 11 May 2006

For some, this hotel would be an attraction. Yet for those that want to go to bed prior to 3am, I wouldn't recomend this hotel.

MAKE SURE TO ASK FOR A "QUITE" ROOM. I stayed at this hotel with a friend of mine and had two seperate rooms. My room was on the third floor in the back of the hotel. At 2am, I could hear the base from the music playing downstairs....not from another guests room!

My friends room was on the top floor with a small balcony. He couldn't sleep for the entire lobby turns into a night club. In fact, they had the enterence ropped off so that only guests can enter through the main enterence. Not only could you hear the people talking and laughing outside the hotel, you can also hear the music pumping from the 1st floor club.

I would stay at this hotel again for it's right in the heart of the "Hip" area of Vancouver. However, I would ask for the top floor and the back of the building away from the street noise.

There isn't another hotel that looked better then this one. Two blocks away, there is another hotel that also had the "club scene" going on in the Lobby of their hotel. I just don't get it!!!

• Stayed: May 2006
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 8 May 2006

I have stayed in Vancouver many times for jobs and stayed in different hotels, but I have to say that the Opus is on of my favorties. The rooms are great,, the staff is nice, the location is great as there are so many wonderful restaurants and bars in quick walking distance. I always look forward to my return there...it's never soon enough.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank WorldTravelerAsia
Reviewed 17 April 2006

The Opus is that rare hotel that exceeds all expectations. I have never in my travels encountered more pleasant and helpful staff. Rooms are terrfic. No hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone who is tired of impersonal service and nothing but average facilities of most 5 star chains.

C. Rhind
Toronto

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank Crhino
Reviewed 15 April 2006

This hotel is nothing short of fabulous, from the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty, evryone plays their part in making guests feel special.
We were given a free upgrade to a superior room on arrival and really made to feel that we were welcome and valued.
The rooms are perhaps not the biggest, but they are all stylish,practical,clean and comfortable with delightful individual touches.
I loved this hotel and will never want to stay anywhere else in Vancouver.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank privatewire
Reviewed 7 April 2006

The Opus Hotel Vancouver is a delightful property, offering a refreshing alternative to its corporate counterparts. The hotel has many benefits, including a wonderful location and superb service.

That being said, you must prepare yourself for some drawbacks (which are sometimes typical of any Boutique Hotel)

Opus is situated in the heart of Yaletown, which is Vancouver's trendy spot. The location affords you easy access to the water, and some of Vancouver's best restaurants and nightlife. (Coast Restaurant and Rodney's Oyster Bar are my two favorites)

The Rooms:

We stayed in a "Deluxe King" which offers an interior bathroom (as opposed to an outside facing bathroom featured in the superior category) Our room was rather cramped, but well appointed. Amenities included a CD player, minibar and a well-stocked bathroom with L'Occtaine toiletries. We found the bed to be rather disappointing for this type of hotel. I was expecting finer linens, as well as some type of feather bed for added comfort. Instead, the Opus supplies a rather hard bed with average linens. One other note, the window coverings are less than adequate. Because the hotel uses shades as opposed to curtains, we found it difficult to sleep in! If your room faces Davie Street, it can get a bit noisy, particularly on Friday and Saturday night because of the hotel lobby bar.

The service was wonderful, and in par with that of its upscale counterparts.

Opus has a wonderful in-house restaurant "Elixr" which serves a great breakfast!

I would definitely consider staying at Opus on my next visit to Vancouver (the location and coolness factor can't be beat!), but I would also consider the Four Seasons for its more generously sized rooms and superior bed comfort!

8  Thank ocGlobetraveler
Reviewed 11 March 2006

This is indeed a fine little boutique hotel in a perfect hip location, Yaletown, surrounded by streets of cool shops, restaurants and lounges. The lobby is minimalist, very elegant, with a fine lounge and restaurant occupying most of the ground floor. The staff is, as others have commented, extremely friendly and helpful. The room I stayed in was a single with a queen-sized bed, a very nice bathroom, great shampoos, etc, a normal televison, a cheap cd player (with a couple of CD's on the nightstand, which I promptly copied on to my laptop!). The sheets, the bed, the shower are all first class. That said, the hotel is truly just a very nice first class hotel in the usual W type of hip motif. There is a certain refinement to the place, but there is truly nothing so exceptional that this would be a Must-Visit institution. Still, the prices are pretty reasonable, and you are in the heart of the coolest neighborhood in Vancouver, so you will definitely be delighted with your stay, as long as you don't buy the company line that this is some sort of world-class experience.

9  Thank glazen
A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 8 March 2006

My husband and I spent a night at the Opus as a "honeymoon in town". To sum it up, the hotel is fantastic.

I've stayed in many hotels across North America and the Opus is the best hotel I've stayed in. The staff was very friendly - not that fake, annoying, overly helpful friendly - just genuinely helpful and friendly when you needed them.

The rooms and linens are beautiful and the many, little thoughtful touches made me smile. There is a little plate of very nice chocolates and nuts when you arrive. There is an umbrella in your room that you are free to use and will keep you dry while exploring Vancouver during it's notoriously wet winter months. There are cd's available to play in the cd/dvd player and you can listen on the surround sound system while flipping through the magazines they have available for you in the room. I often get sick when I travel and thought the Vitamin C tablets in the minibar basket was a great idea.

We had a great dinner out in the very trendy Yaletown area and then returned for a cocktail at the Opus's lounge which was packed with nightlife.

We definitely had a great time at the Opus and I would recommend it to anyone.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member