“Excellent stay, awesome location, friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
Ottawa
“Excellent stay, awesome location, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

We stayed our anniversary night at the Opus and had a wonderful time. Took their car service for an excellent dinner, returned had a glass of wine, and lounged in the huge soaker tub and took in the great views.

The staff was all very friendly and professional and the rooms are aesthetically complete and relaxing. Well worth it as a treat.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

Stayed at The Opus for 5 nights in Jan 2010 for business.

The Staff

I have never found staff to be so helpful and friendly! As I stayed 5 days I got to see quite a few reception staff and can honestly say that they were all very friendly and helpful. I took my hair straighteners from the UK to use and although I had an adaptor they didn't work. With a quick call to reception I realised I needed a voltage converter (to go from 220v to 110v) and one member researched online where I could find it locally and how much it cost! Also, came out of my room to see maid hoovering and she quickly stopped and apologised for the 'noise' even though it wasn't noisy at all!

My fridge wasn't working so with another quick call down to reception, someone came up within a few minutes to take a look. It was all working by the time I came back later that day.

Went to a l local restaurant around 10 mins away by car but instead of booking a taxi for us, one staff member drove us in a very nice BMW!!

My colleague and I had to leave 5.45am one morning to catch the coach to Whistler but as the restaurant didn't open until 6.30am, they kindly prepared a wonderful breakfast for us to take away. Coffee, juice, fresh fruit salad, granola with yoghurt and fresh banana nut bread!

The Rooms

I stayed in a standard room which I absolutely loved. Decor was red and I didn't realise that the rooms had different colour schemes until I looked online today. There was a cd playing when I arrived and some sweets/candy on the bed to welcome me! The heated floor in the bathroom was the icing on the cake! Each night when I returned to my room, the duvet was pulled back and again, music playing on the player. I also loved the L'Occitane tolietries they supplied. The only thing I can think of to make my stay better would be to have softer towels and maybe some slippers to use but apart from that it was great!!

All in all a wonderful experience and I even missed The Opus when I flew on to LA! I look forward to staying there again when I'm in back in town.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank annieb37
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

This place was a little tricky to find as construction for a new sky train station had blocked off the entrance (which is probably now nothing to worry about). I think that's part of the appeal though as it's subtle and trendy like the Drake in Toronto. I was there just before the Juno Awards so a lot of music industry people were seen coming and going which adds to the chic appeal. The room itself was tiny but beautiful and truly unique. Yaletown is wonderful, trendy, and central to everything in downtown Vancouver. It's the a great Vancouver experience, it's not huge but beautiful - you pay for alot of aesthetics and everything is clean, chic and hypercool.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

We stayed at the Opus Vancouver for two nights in July -- breaking up a return trip from Alaska to Chicago. We were warmly greeted by the front desk staff -- and shown to our "standard" room. The hotel room was normal in size, nothing huge -- but well decorated. The bathroom was amazing -- big, lots of light, lots of mirrors. The front desk staff was super helpful throughout our stay, suggesting bars and restaurants both in the neighborhood and beyond. The hotel location is perfect - we were able to walk to Stanley Park and we really enjoyed exploring Yaletown.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Renton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

The Opus is the place to stay in Vancouver if you want a central location, wonderful service and a very nice room. It's a smaller "boutique" hotel so you get very personalized attention and little extras from the staff, all of whom are delightful. We never waited more than 5 minutes for any room service, the rooms were kept spanking-clean and tidy by the daily maid service and the food at the restaurant was wonderful. The hotel is located in Yale Town which is an older, more ecclectic part of the city filled with great restaurants, lots of shopping and a more initmate atmosphere than the bussel and hussel of newer urban environments.

Getting to the Opus is one of the best features of it's location. Forget a car unless you intend to visit areas outside of the central city. We have been to Vancouver before taking the car but found it was really not necessary since most of what is worth seeing is within a 30 minute walk or water taxi. We noticed the Opus offers free car service from the Hotel to places within the City, but we never took advantage of it since everything is so close and walking the city streets is one of the joys of visiting this beautiful city.

If you're flying to Vancouver forget a cab or car to get to the hotel. There is now the new awesome Canada Line built for the upcoming Olympics that opened last summer. This fancy new rail system takes you directly from the international airport to the downtowm waterfont with many stops along the way, one of which is literally across the street from the Opus hotel called the "Roundhouse Station". The ride is about $3.50 one way and takes about 20 minutes. The trains come are regular intervals and we never waited more than 5 minutes for a train. All day passes are available too.

From the Opus hotel you can walk down the street to catch the water taxi that will take you to many other tourist destinations like Grandville Island and the Science Museum. The ride itself is fun and should be considered when moving about the City. There is a great store nearby called Urban Market where you can get groceries and other rare finds of great deli quality. But I digress.

Back to the Hotel.

The rooms are nicely appointed with modern lines and pleasing color schemes. Hair dryer, iron and ironing board, safe, bathrobes were standard features. The bed was very comfortable with nice linens. My only complaint was there was limited drawer space for your clothes (only two) but the closet did have a few small shoe shelves to put things on which we had to do. There is no ice machine... room service provided the ice when needed. I would also forgo using the bathrobes, they tend to be on the small side and very scratchy. But aside from these small issues there was nothing not to like about staying here.

The staff are unlike any other hotel staff i've ever experienced. They truly are interested in making sure your stay is pleasant and enjoyable. Wonderful to talk with and helpful with information on the city, the airport or other aspects that might affect your stay. They were one of the main features about why I really love staying at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Gumberilla
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

This is one of my favorite boutique hotels. I've also stayed at OPUS Montreal. OPUS Vancouver is a fantastic mix of decor, location, nice taste, accomodating staff, and overall great feel. I love coming time and time again to stay in a different room - since they all have a unique personality. Kudos to the staff for all the nice touches. One of my favorites was the cd mixes available in the room. Nice picks.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank jilldempsey
Kelowna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2010

I was upgraded to a corner suite as I was entertaining some customers to a hockey game and drinks before. The staff are amazing, the location is great and the rooms are beautiful.
I travel and stay in Hotels 15 nights a month and this is the top pick for me.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business