“My Vancouver home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Opus Hotel

Opus Hotel
Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Vancouver
San Francisco
“My Vancouver home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

I've stayed a few times at the Opus now while on business in Vancouver and I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. I know, that sounds like a cliché, but it's true. Same goes for my ratings - I'm not handing out five stars easily, trust me. I've had my share of not so great hotel experiences.

To the Opus: aside from its great location in Yaletown and close enough to Downtown Vancouver, I can't praise the friendliness and helpfulness of its staff enough. Everybody I've had the pleasure of meeting there is constantly creating an atmosphere that is giving New York's Mercer, Tribeca Grand and Hudson hotels a run for their money. The Opus staff doesn't carry the "You should be thankful that you can stay at our hotel" attitude but instead is abundantly inviting and friendly.

The rooms are quiet, stylish and comfortable and even have color schemes to chose from. The only color scheme that's not so cool is the latest incarnation of the hotel bar/breakfast area. Now getting remodeled every 100 days and named accordingly, the space looks like a youth center in the 70s and 80s, graffiti, empty spraycans and folding chairs included. But the next iteration is coming soon, so there's some hope left.

All in all, I can't imagine staying anywhere else during my trips to Vancouver. Or Montreal, of course - although the Opus Vancouver has a definitive edge against its East Coast sibling.

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Opus Hotel in Vancouver, BC and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. In addition to a fantastic location in Yaletown, the rooms were beautifully designed, the beds were very comfortable, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was lively. But, what really made our stay at the Opus even better was the first class customer service. Everyone at the front desk and in the restaurant were friendly, courteous, and helpful. Not only were they professional but we could tell they enjoyed their jobs. The Opus Hotel staff are a shinning example of what top level customer service should look like and why I will be back to the Opus whenever I'm in Vancouver, British Columbia.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2010

I expected Opus Vancouver to be comfortable, well-located, and stylish. What I did not expect was to feel as warmly welcomed as I have ever felt at a family-run inn or B&B. I was truly impressed by the friendliness of the staff, all the way from check-in to check-out.

My only criticism - and it is minor - is due to the fact that I've become spoiled by the hotel bedding wars. In a hotel of this caliber I have come to expect some kind of padding between the fitted sheet and the mattress. There wasn't any.

But I will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

For the last two years my husband and I have had the pleasure of celebrating our anniversary at OPUS Vancouver. It’s a quiet time of year when there are not a lot of other hotel guests around as most people are visiting their families. But, as Vancouver transplants to Ottawa we come home at Christmas time to celebrate being with our families and our anniversary. On a snowy Christmas eve in 2008 my husband and I married in Vancouver. We stayed the night at OPUS Vancouver, which was an absolute delight! So much so, that we returned last year to stay and we stayed for three nights. Our stays at OPUS Vancouver can be characterized as personalized, professional, and highly enjoyable. From the attention to detail in the rooms, the friendly and professional front desk staff, superb cleaning staff, and charming chauffeur we were truly taken care of.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

I have stayed at the Opus before and expected an exceptional experience and I am very pleased that my current stay was again exceptional. The great experience started at Vancouver Airport where I was able to hop onto the Canada Line directly to the Yaletown station and the Opus was up the stairway. Twenty minute ride and the Opus will credit your room for the Canada Line fare both ways. Previously, a taxi would be required or my company would pick me up which would cost an hour in heavy traffic. I had no problem with early check-in due to an early secondary meeting at 11AM. Bellman and check-in were courteous and prompt. The Opus is ultra modern and each room has its own character with distinctive designer appeal. The rooms are very clean and all the furniture is very comfortable and there is a desk with internet access. Housekeeping is very friendly and accommodating. There is turn down service with towel service if necessary as well as treats left for snacking. The restaurant staff are very knowledgeable about the food which is reasonably priced and truly a combination of food and art to create an enjoyable eating experience. The Opus has a very popular lounge and is known as the place to be in the evening. If you prefer to try other restaurants or pubs in the area, Yaletown offers lots of variety and many restaurants that have received culinary awards or ratings. Concierge and desk staff are very helpful from offering umbrellas for rainy days to assisting with taxis in and out of the hotel. I was permitted late check-out without a lot of fuss due to a late meeting time.

Overall the Opus is exceptional, reasonably priced and should be a first choice for the Yaletown area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

I just had a terrific stay Iat the recently had at the Opus. From the time I checked in until the time I left, the service was excellent!

I was checked in by Patrick and Kelly, who gave me such a warm welcome. It was especially nice since I arrived with no luggage (United did not deliver until the next day). Kelly made sure I had all the necessities plus directed me to the closest pharmacy, as well as to the great nearby restaurants.

Alejandro was so kind to get me multiple chargers to try for my blackberry phone, and found one that worked and hence, I was able to have cell coverage!

Jeremy brought my bag up as soon as it arrived.

The other extremely nice touch is champagne on arrival – especially appealing after my long day of travel. The other room amenities – water, candy, etc are also very nice too.

Overall, a great stay - what a warm and welcoming staff!

And, located in a charming neighborhood!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

I booked this hotel as we always wanted to stay right in the heart of Yaletown and this is the only hotel that is actually in Yaletown. In addition they allow you to bring your dogs at no extra charge which is pretty cool (we brought 2). I booked the room over the phone and was able to get my parking included and I "upgraded" to a larger room for $10 extra. I would say this was still the smallest room I have stayed in out of the downtown Vancouver hotels.

Pros: Free dogs, great location, free valet parking, considered trendy, friendly door staff
Cons: Rooms seemed slightly dated (old couch, old smaller flat screens), no pool, lounge bar was full of people who thought they were cooler than they were, value for the price is not as good as other options (Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, Delta).

Overall it was fun to stay there, but they need to upgrade the furniture and get king sized beds if they want to keep their prices as high as they are. I would recommend it for someone looking for a smaller hotel, but if you are concerned about price, it isn't worth it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple