“Good enough”
Review of Greenbrier Hotel

Greenbrier Hotel
Ranked #76 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed in an apartment/suite and while it was very basic, it was good enough. But we had to ask for dishes, pans, silverware, and there were no cleaning items (sponge, soap, kitchen towels), so hard to actually use the kitchen. The heating was centrally controlled, so we were too warm most of the time (windows open, but didn't feel prudent to leave them open all night), and finally, the wifi signal was too weak to use in our room -- had to use the breakfast room. It was a good enough location, great restaurants nearby and very nice staff. Breakfast was continental, limited, but good enough. Parking underneath was safe and easy.

Room Tip: If wi-fi's important, you'll probably need to be in the breakfast room or lobby for a strong...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nancyye
GB-GuestServices, Front Desk at Greenbrier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Most of our suites have a kitchen area and we actually do not put utensils either dish soap, sponge and a dish towel in the room but we have everything and we let our guests know at the check-in that we can provide everything without additional cost. The heating is central and unfortunately we don't have air conditioner but we do have fans to provide if needed.
Our Wireless internet works in the whole hotel, sometimes the speed can get a little bit low depending on users and what they are accessing but the lobby area will be always working perfectly. And we do offer a small breakfast in the morning that are included as well. Some coffee, tea, muffins, toast, bagels, jam.
Thank you for your review. It always helps us to improve.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I recently stayed at the Greenbrier Hotel for four nights when visiting my daughter. I made my reservation with some trepidation because a number of post 2009 reviews gave it a bad rating. However after staying at many other hotels in Vancouver over the past three years I thought I would give it a try.

I am very glad I did. First the location on Robson Street is great. There are many restaurants, grocery stores a\nd close proximity to Stanley Park. Second the hoteI was renovated after 2009. I booked an executive suite which was very spacious and quiet. The Greenbrier offers free internet and a continental breakfast. The current rate for parking is $20.00 per day. Considering all the otherVancouver hotels I have stayed at charged for internet, much more for parking and no continental breakfast, the Greenbrier is a very good value. It is not a fancy hotel with excercise facilities, a hotel restuarant or bar, but of these are accessible on Robson Street if you need them. As I mentioned by suite was similar to an apartment, probably around 650 square feet, a lot larger than your typical hotel room. The only caveat I would have is for disabled people or people who cannot climb stairs. There is no elevator, so the Greenbrier would not work for them. However I intend to stay there again on my next visit to Vancouver

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank jerhaar
GB-GuestServices, Guest Services at Greenbrier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

We are very happy to hear from you. We are a small hotel in a great location and we have big and comfortable suites to suit our guests. We did lots of Renovation for the Olympics and since then we are trying to keep improving our hotel and always making sure to give an excellent service to our guests. We have a safe parking underneath with easy access and we charge $20 plus tax but we do offer free wireless internet and a small breakfast in the morning that is a complimentary. Our hotel also has a laundry room for our guests.
As you mentioned, we don't have elevator but our helpful staff will always be happy to help our guests with their luggage and we have rooms on the street level as well that stairs will not be a problem.
Thank you very much for your review.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

I recently spent two nights in a very spacious and comfortable room at the Greenbrier and was very pleased with the accommodation. The room was clean, the bed was perfect, the tv good, with excellent wifi and even a little kitchenette. I like the Robson street location because it is in a quieter part of town with good shopping and restaurants but walking distance to the business section of the downtown, also with good transit access. The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. it was the kind of room I was happy to spend time in during a rainy Vancouver fall. The breakfast was okay... nice to be able to grab fresh coffee and a muffin to take back to the room in the am. I like small hotels and this one was delightful. There were a few shortcomings, such as no elevator and a few other amenities one had to ask for at the desk... but for the price paid it was just fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank casjazz
GB-GuestServices, Guest Services at Greenbrier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you so much for your review.
Our hotel is located On Robson Street, in the heart of Downtown and we have great restaurants and beautiful attractions around here, which is very convenient for our guests, because they can walk while enjoying this beautiful city.
As you mentioned, the public transport is very good and our friendly staff will be always happy to give to our guests details about that directions to anywhere in the city.
We are very glad to hear that you had a good time staying with us.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I stayed in the beautiful Greenbrier Hotel for one night and I wished I could have stayed longer. The room was fantastic, it was worth paying a little extra for the Executive Suite. The staff was the most over-the-top friendly front-desk I've ever experienced. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the Executive Suite, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Idurey

We have a friendly team who loves helping our guests and offering an excellent service.
Our Executive Suite is a great room. Very spacious, coming with a living room area that has a pull-out couch and can turn an extra Queen size bed, kitchen, bathroom and a private bedroom. It's perfect for 2 or 3 people.
Thank you very much for choosing The Greenbrier hotel and we are looking forward to have you here again.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I am glad I did not take heed to bad reviews on this hotel. The Greenbrier was recommended to us by Amtrak rail, as we were arriving very late at night to Vancouver and needed something handy and reasonable. The staff was awaiting our arrival at one a.m. at the door and helped us in with our luggage. He was super friendly and kind. We were impressed. Our rooms, yes plural, were huge and clean. I have to admit they need some updating but we were very comfortable. Our bedroom had two very comfy beds. The bathroom was huge and clean. We had a full kitchen and the living room had a TV. I was able to make free local calls. We asked for a late check out and that was no problem at all. I did check out the breakfast and it was well gone through by guests but I was able to take delicious muffins and coffee back to our room. We will be back as it was close to everything in downtown Vancouver.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jean A
GB-GuestServices, Guest Services at Greenbrier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

We are so happy to hear from you.
We have someone 24h a day at front desk and we want that our guests fell very welcome here. Our staff love helping our guest, giving a good service to make you enjoy not only the city of Vancouver but also your stay at the Greenbrier Hotel.
Cleaning is another very important point to us. We are so glad you could see that. And we will always do our best to give our guest an early check-in or late check-out and storage your bags if you need that after check-out as well.
Thank you so much for your review and we really want to have you back soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights in September. The location is quite good being in Robson Street and its not loud at all. The hotel is clean although needs a bit of updating. We were quite disappointed with the breakfast as we had chosen this hotel over another thinking having breakfast supplied would be useful until we got our bearings. Breakfast was a few stale tasting sweet buns mixed in with a couple of savoury, juice and weak coffee. I wasnt expecting 5 star breakfast but if you are offering it in a package you think there will at least be a loaf of fresh bread to toast or cereal on offer.Other than that an ok hotel for the money.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank chellebelle7475

We are very sorry about that.
We do offer a small breakfast in the morning and at the check-in we let our guest know what we offer. As muffins, bagels, toast, jam, cinnamon buns.
Sorry if it didn't happen.
We did some updates and one of them was a coffee machine that we got. The coffee is always fresh and stronger than what it used to be.
We really apologize for that.
Thank you for your review. It's always good to hear from our guest and try to improve, do not making the same mistakes.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel given some of the other reviews. If the staff on reception had been slightly more accommodating I think we would have loved this hotel. Can't imagine why they do not have a toilet/bathroom other than the ones in the rooms. The breakfast was rubbish, the pastries were stale, but that doesn't really influence my review, I didn't book the hotel just for the breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue M

I am so sorry to hear that from you.
I really don't know what's happened as we have a great and friendly team.
We apologize for any problem that you had. We did some updates in the breakfast area to make sure that everything will be always fresh.
I am glad you liked our hotel. Thank you for your review.