“Expensive for a basic suite hotel”
Review of Greenbrier Hotel

Greenbrier Hotel
Ranked #73 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Disappointing, since found via Air B&B and NOT described as a Hotel of apartments, which it is, and rather a basic one at that. Room fine (has a sitting room and kitchen - use not encouraged), breakfast basic ‘continental’. Not a room one would want to relax in - no view, rather dark. Location was OK - within a walk of Stanley park but the bulk of downtown was a long walk the other way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had booked two rooms for September 2013 through Booking.com. When we arrived with all our luggage and six people they stated the rooms I had reserved were not available - sorry, then went back to reading his magazine. We needed two rooms with two beds each and wound up with one room with two beda and a hideabed. A/C consisted of two fans. This is at best a negative one star hotel. I would not stay there again if they paids me.

Room Tip: Tip _ Do Not Book Here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank RonOscoda
Reviewed 7 September 2013

If you are looking for a budget hotel that is within walking distance to many of Vancouver's attractions then Greenbrier is for you. Great location. I had a suite with a kitchenette but it lacks the basic necessities. The staff did find me a kettle so I could make tea. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Front rooms are noisy, there's no air conditioning or elevator. I stayed two nights and although the hotel lacks luxury, staff were very nice to me. I wouldn't bother with the free breakfast, there are great places close by to eat. Short walk to Coal Harbour and its beauty. What you save on the hotel you can spend on visiting of the lovely restaurants or cafes. Within walking distance to Stanley Park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is a rather shabby suite hotel in the West End of Vancouver. The location is great-on a main commercial street with shops and restaurants and only a short 10 minute walk to Stanley Park. However, one wants to spend as little time as possible in the suite. We were on the ground floor-a good thing as there are no elevators (but only 3 stories)-but a little dark. Also, good thing it wasn't too hot out-no air conditioning. The room was clean, but housekeeping was not good. There is a kitchen and we often made tea in the afternoon and/or evening. While housekeeping cleaned the bedroom and bathroom, never touched the kitchen. The teabags and paper cups piled up. I asked the desk staff on the 3rd morning (we stayed 4 nights) if housekeeping could clean the kitchen. It was never done.

Another reason I chose this hotel is that it offers breakfast. However, I never saw so many carbs at one time. Rolls, muffins, bread. No fruit and the orange juice wasn't real juice. The only protein was peanut butter. Coffee came out of a machine and it was broken the last 2 mornings of our stay. Since my friend and I only drink tea, this wasn't a problem-they got us hot water. I felt sorry for the guests who wanted coffee. They were stuck with instant.

The staff was pleasant and tried to be helpful, but did not have lots of knowledge. My friend and I found a bus to the Museum of Anthropology that was a better route than the one given by the desk staff.

Room Tip: We bought some fruit in Chinatown to have with breakfast. It was not a problem as there is a refrige...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

This is not a 5*hotel, but then it never tries to be. The rooms are dated and a little worn, but are clean and comfortable. The building itself is ugly, but the location is perfect for all Vancouver adventures! The complimentary breakfast is very basic, stodgy scones, bread and poor quality croissants, so you will probably have to make your own breakfast or go out.

I did enjoy my stay here, it provided affordable and convenient accommodation in Vancouver.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank recognisetheview
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed nine nights, walking distance to every great attractions ex. stanley park, aquarium, canada place, Rogers arena , shopping, etc...

free complimentary breakfast was ok. It ad coffee, tea, toast, scones, muffins and croissants.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The room was ok, with a kitchenette.

We give this hotel 4 stars for the price and the facilities.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steeve R
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We chose to stay in town after a wedding and got the Greenbrier using a discounted hotel booking site. Never heard of the hotel, but I did see that it had decent ratings. I called earlier in the evening to let them know that we were checking in late and staff was courteous when I called and when I checked in and out. Manuel was very helpful and courteous!
There is no elevator in this building, so accessibility can be an issue.
The hotel room smelled a bit stale like it has been a smoking suite before and I didn't bother opening the windows to get the air in. The furnishings and decor were simple yet modern. The bed was nice and firm, but I look for cleanliness overall and it was. The towels could be of better quality, and there was only 1 garbage can in the whole suite. It was nice to have a kitchenette although we only needed the fridge as we came in late at night and left at 10am the next morning.
The continental breakfast was very simple, but it was a nice touch. Parking is a bit much, but thats typical Vancouver parking rates.
Good location with Robson to one side and Denman nearby with lots of shops and restaurants. I would recommend more so for families looking for value or friends sharing a suite, and not spending a lot of time at the hotel. Amenities are very minimal, but we weren't looking for that on this trip, so it worked for us.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have an elevator. Would be quieter on the north end of the building. We were on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family