“Beware - dont go there”
Review of Greenbrier Hotel

Greenbrier Hotel
Ranked #76 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I arrived with my family at the hotel late one rainy night expecting to find a clean self contained room. What we found was the opposite. The room was filthy from the carpet to the towels, cooking utensils and bathroom. Within 30 minutes we had walked nearby streets found another hotel and made arrangements to move. The fun didnt end there. In order to be able to check out I was forced to pay a half day tariff, being the only way I could negotiate not being charged the full 5 days that I had booked, even though the room clearly did not meet its description. Further it then took 9 days to get them to release of a pre-approval of nearly $800. Steer clear of this place. Tourism Candaa needs to take action against this hotel soon and certainly before the Olympics. It is in short a disgrace to Vancouver.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank TKSM

Reviewed 2 December 2008

funny smell, stove had exposed wires, wall plug was dangerously loose, gf woke up with rash and bite marks, room was filthy (got grossed out when we moved the couch)

managed to change rooms, this room wasnt such a deathtrap, but smelled of urine

most staff was sympathetic but obviously in fear of losing their jobs, the main guy was rude, told me the owner lived in Dubai, and i had to deal with him for any potential discount (the employee behind him shook his head back and forth indicating a fabrication, told me later the owner is actually onsite during the week)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wosj
Reviewed 25 November 2008

we travelled from edmonton to vancouver to see madonna.we were all scared because of the reviews given on this site.our experience with this hotel was wonderful!nice big rooms,friendly staff and great location!if you think you are upper class then maybe this is'nt the place for you but if you like a nice big room and and are on a budget this is a great place!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank flygurl1975
Reviewed 20 November 2008

An absolutley super deal! For a long way traveler is this much better that sleeping on the streets, or staying at "backpacker shelter". The service was super, cleaning lady did not steal anything. You can buy everything from hockers to cannabis in this hotel. I only once saw a person carrying a gun in the hallway. They have facilitys like a overcharged telephone and a washingroom.
I also was involved in a fire exercise in the middle of the night, and i can report that that went all fine. Firetrucks come only after 15 minutes, and that is good!
I have travelled many places in the world, and this is far far from the worst i have seen.I did not se any animals in the rooms, exept for a dusin ring doves...Try go to Russia...
One other thing is that it is sentral and cheap. When i stayed there, there was a bar right across the street called Maxim, who was ok for drinking.I next door to the hotel there was a resturant, or actually there is plenty of resturants close to the hotel.
If you have family or is afarid of the dark, go somewhere else.
after all,a good deal for budget travelers

• Stayed: March 2004, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We spent two nights this summer on the Greenbrier hotel. The only positive points are price and location. The furniture is old and not very clean.

They charged us 5$ for two local calls, both under 1 minute.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 10 September 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two nights and had a very nice experience. The location and price can't be beat.
We Loved this hotel :)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I made a reservation via Tourism BC for a highly recommended hotel in Vancouver for 3 nights. Five minutes later, I called to amend my reservation to 2 nights only. The fellow at the hotel assured me that this was OK, he heard me, he recorded my change, and all was fine. This seems easy enough, doesn't it? When we got to Vancouver a week later, took the bus downtown, walked 5 blocks to the hotel carrying suitcases, very tired (4:00 a.m. to us), and hot, the desk man told us there was no reservation made, and anyways, he was full; find another place; too bad. NO apology, nothing. I made him look again, and again, because I had my reservation number with me. After half an hour, he deigned to search once more, and lo and behold, there it was. The change had not been recorded in the computer, and to whom had I spoken that night when I made the reservation? I didn't know the name of the clerk? That was the problem -- MY problem. I should have taken his name. And he was a new hire (this nameless man), I should have known better. Again, this was all my fault. Further, since I was declared a No Show, they gave my room away for all 3 nights, so they had no room for us. Further, they had taken the charge for the room off my visa card, to punish me for not showing up, and having the gall to not cancel (but I did cancel, and re-affirm my intention to come for the 2 nights now in question).
I was told there would be no refund, find another place for much more $$, if I was out of pocket, again, too bad. No apology. Only evasiveness, no acknowledgement that this was Greenbrier's fault. This is a horrible, unprofessional approach, galling, covering-up with the flimsiest of excuses. This hotel should be put out of business quickly. I have never been treated like this in Canada in my life. Greenbriar did this knowing no punishment would accrue, and I want to warn everyone out there to avoid this situation. I did my booking in good faith, and these people did not.