“Gone downhill”

PNE - Pacific National Exhibition
Ranked #123 of 365 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: The Fair at the PNE is the best part of summer! For the last two weeks of August through the Labour Day long weekend, The Fair features more than 50 rides and attractions, nightly concerts, live performances, agricultural and animal displays, games, and food. It's fun for all ages plus children 13 years and under are free with an adult admission. The Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) fairgrounds was established in 1910 to showcase British Columbia. The PNE operates on a 114-acre site at the City of Vancouver-owned Hastings Park and consists of Playland, the annual 15-day Fair at the PNE, and Fright Nights at Playland. The PNE also includes year-round rental facilities for concerts, conventions, trade shows and sporting events with the Pacific Coliseum the largest venue within Hastings Park. The Pacific Coliseum was proud to be the official venue for Short Track Speed Skating and Figure Skating during the 2010 Winter Olympic Games and is currently home to the WHL's Vancouver Giants hockey team. No single location in Vancouver captures the spirit and history of this city, its people and its many achievements as the Pacific National Exhibition. For over 100 years, millions of guests have enjoyed shows, exhibits, sporting events, amusement rides, concerts, cultural activities and, of course, the annual Fair at the PNE. The 2017 Fair at the PNE is August 19 to September 4 (closed Monday, August 21 & 28)
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

I have been going to the PNE every year for as long as I can remember. It was my most exciting thing to look forward to every summer. This year however was one train wreck after another that left me so disappointed and contemplating if ill ever come back. The price for two admissions during "twilight" hours was 91 dollars.. dont get me started on how ridiculous the price for food is. As soon as we walked in.. we headed straight for crazy beach party and it was closed.. not the first time ive seen it closed. We made our way to the game of thrones exhibit around 7 pm (which is only being featured this year) and apparently they were "up to capacity for the entire night..so come back another day" ... Lastly we saved what was in our minds the best ride for the very last - the wooden roller coaster. Now PNE condones that theyre hours of operation are until "late" whatever that means.. by 11pm thinking we have at least another good hour to go.. we walked on over to the wooden roller coaster. . "this rides closed guys"... And we all know the 45 dollars we paid to get in doesn't even cover the two most thrill seeking rides .. drop zone and revelation. So I have to say this place that was once the happiest place on earth for me is now the most money grabbing and dissapointing place. Sorry PNE but when your food trucks are the only accessible feature of your attraction ..how do you expect anyone to get thier moneys worth.

2  Thank Sonam B
"few blocks"
in 16 reviews
in 72 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2014

As a resident of the Vancouver area I have a history of visiting our Pacific National Exhibition from time to time. Unfortunately, it is locked in a time capsule that has seen better days. What is always fun, depending on your tastes, are the animal barns (I am a fan of bunnies, horses, etc.), the Super Dogs show, and there are still some rides that I find fun. The BBQ Competition that has been coming to the fair the last couple of years is a wonderful addition - skip the food trucks and for the money and flavour and quality, go straight to the BBQ guys! At the fair last night we had so-so Greek donair, a truly awful strawberry crepe (thawed, once frozen strawberries that were acidic and sour, and too-thick, not cooked crepe), but when we walked by the heavenly aroma of the BBQ guys, I had to eat something (good). We were not disappointed with the Gator BBQ (I hear from others in line that the others are also really good). That half rack of ribs was spectacular.

Major disappointment was the YVR 'wonders of the world' 'exhibit'. The round bubble tent was steamy-hot, you stood for the presentation in the middle and craned your neck awkwardly, and the presentation itself, particularly the video was horrible quality, and the content was sub par. Glad I didn't pay extra for this. If it had been the sort of quality of the 'Fly Over BC' exhibit in downtown Vancouver, or the truly awesome "Over California" attraction at Disneyland, that would have been worth it.

Other note, is that the PNE neglected to tell anyone in their brochures or advertising that the Game of Thrones travelling exhibit (which I went specially to see) required on-site tickets, and that there was a limited number. By 2 pm on a weekday they were already 'sold out' for the rest of the day, so if you were dying to see it, you'd have to pay for admission all over again to the Fairgrounds and hope you were there early enough to get tickets. Not cool, PNE!

If you've never been to the PNE, it is worth a visit, but if they want Vancouverites to keep coming back and actually break even some year, they need to throw some money and thinking at it to make the PNE the draw that it could be!

1  Thank Mercer12
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have heard for years about this great event!

My wife being raised in maple ridge went to the PNE every year as a child and when she had grown up, she talked about the crowds and the line ups standing for hrs. Waiting for things to happen. The pitch men hawking there wares, the excitement of it all.

We happened to get there when there was a free admission day if you were there between 11am and 1pm, well the line up started at 9am and when we saw this we had no choice but to get in line, the line behind us grew and grew stretching down the street and after 2 hr. Standing in line we we're let in the gates!

Of course by now everyone made a mad dash for the washrooms and stood in line again waiting to get inside to release all the coffee they had been drinking.

Then the fun as you listened to the pitchmen trying to convince you that what they were selling was quite possibly the best thing since sliced bread!

If you can control your emotions they actually do have some good products, I did get information on a new style of roofing.

We had lunch from a Thai vender it was very tasty!

We saw the great pig race, saw people losing there lunch as they were on the drop of doom! I even got suckered into throwing a couple of hanky sacks at some balloons for $5.00 but I won a $.50 toy! Wowwwwww!

I guess the best was when I stood in line to get a corn dog, not just any corn dog but one from the PNE! Well after waiting in line and giving him the $5.00 I was told to stand in another line to get the corn dog! This line up was huge and it was not moving! I asked for my money back but was refused.

I really wanted that corn dog and stood in the blistering sun for twenty minutes and as the line barely moved I did the math and figured out I would be there at least another 1.5hr! It was at this point I decide I had had enough of the pne

2  Thank Thomas T
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I loved Phillip Phillips concert and PNE offers great concerts!

Dog show and rides available too! Enjoy!

1  Thank SongWon