“Sadly closed. ”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: West Point Grey
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Dropped by July 26th and the owner had posted a closed sign. It's a shame as the weekend brunch was excellent. The owner has done this in the past. It always seems to be staffing issues. I hope he reopens soon.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Katzenjammer

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I like to try new restaurants in familiar places so Cafe Katzenjammer fit the bill. It's a small place on W.10th about a 10 minutes bus ride from the UBC campus. I had Sunday brunch, which doesn't start until 10am. I was by myself for at least an hour when other people started to trickle in. I ordered the Katzenjammer Omelet with Rhineland bacon, Bavarian ham, brats and sauerkraut with pan fries. It was quite a large portion and it was wonderful! The coffee was very good. Go for the food and the German music...good stuff!

1  Thank jennifw
Reviewed 24 May 2013

With a name such as Cafe Katzenjammer one would expect Schnitzels and Potato pancakes to appear on the menu of this restaurant. And they do, at least on Saturdays and Sundays when we are likely to eat there, as lunch is our main meal of the day. In earlier years the Cafe was open for lunch on other days during the week though not now. Anyway the food is traditional home-made German fare. My wife prefers a Schnitzel dish, of which there are several, while I gravitate to an omelette, but substitute potato pancakes for the regular potatoes. Mind you, I also enjoy potatoes cooked in the German style. It consists of frying them slowly, preferably in butter, with some onion and a bit of parsley. As a result they never have that hot oil taste so often found at other restaurants.

Generally due to staffing problems, Cafe Katzenjammer has had some lengthy periods when the restaurant was closed. But we have always returned once it was back to serving Schnitzels and potato pancakes.

1  Thank sasha2566
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We were spending the night in Vancouver area so we were looking for a quiet good place to eat out near UBC and stumbled onto this gem. Located in the Point Grey area near UBC, the Cafe K. is small, but has the best German food I've had outside of Germany. Not a huge restaurant, they have a very nice selection of very authentic tasting dishes! It was obvious that it attracts a lot of locals, as before long there were not a lot of tables left.

Sadly, no beer on tap, so I had to make do with a Warsteiner before digging in to a lovely meal. The Jaegerschitzel I had was topped with a wonderful mushroom gravy and the spatzle was fresh and delicious. My frau had Rouladen and german potato salad reported it was fabulous. Prices were very reasonable! Our major mistake was not leaving room for apfel strudel... Guess that's a good reason to go back

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Great authentic German food, such as Potato pancakes, Goulasch, various Schnitzels. Great German beer selection like Schneider Weisse or Warsteiner Pils ! decent prices too & friendly service.