“A delightful experience”

Ranked #516 of 3,996 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Main
Description: Welcome to The French TableFormer Master Executive Chef Herve Martin is proud to present his newest eating establishment, The French Table. Nestled cosily in the Riley Park area on Main St & 23rd Ave, it’s a far away from the former Hermitage restaurant, which was a downtown staple on Robson Street for 24 years until last year. After the developer announced new plans, Herve patiently and rightfully re-located to an area that’s ripe for a surburban French cuisine in this up and coming, bustling area. The French Table still carries the tradition of its former self, especially with the outstanding first class servers, whom he successfully carried over but also has a modern flair. Clean lines, open room, first comes into mind when first stepping inside. Unlike the traditional white table cloths, Herve cleverly designed its logo under the glass tables bearing The French table signature, a very nice touch. Tables line the walls for best view of everything. You can select from a menu created by Master Chef Herve Martin and served in the traditional French style. The critically acclaimed wine list boasts one of the best selections of Burgundy wines in Vancouver and is highlighted with exclusive wines from the family winery in Chamilly, France.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I am actually going to copy a letter I wrote to "Herve Martin" of the French Table management and I believe this will be comment enough for this wonderful place.

Dear Herve,

We have just moved to Vancouver and we love wonderful food so, after asking around, we visited the French Table last night because of its rave reviews.

What a delightful experience!!!!

We ordered the specials, mine being quail and my husband's being cod with seafood. The food was amazing!!!! My only difficulty was choosing what to order because everything sounded gorgeous.

But the main reason I am writing to you today is to compliment you on your amazing staff. Phillip and Gilles, (please ask them to forgive me if I have spelt their names incorrectly.)

While they were prompt and professional, they were so personal too. Because of their sweet, humorous and relaxing demeanour, we felt that we were in their home rather then your restaurant.

I have never kissed staff after a meal out, but I did to both of them because it felt like we were "family".

We are so looking forward to visiting again soon.

I do not usually ask for contact information so that I can write to the owner of a restaurant, but in this case I thought I must.

Kindest of regards to you Herve.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Dropped in at 5;30 and not busy. Beautiful day so sat at the tiny table on the sidewalk. Almost like Paris but since the street is wider than most in Paris it was much noisier. Inside would have been better and the table more spacious.
Husband ordered the Coq au Vin which he said was good but very sparse on the vegies. I had the mussels and frites. Small portion of mussels and the frites were overdone. Asked if they were home made and assured there was a huge long process to get them done but no apology for over frying them. When they are dry on the inside they are overdone. Broth was okay but not one I have ever had in France. Would have preferred a choice of broth. Not difficult. Also no water so finally had to ask for the water. Pleasant place, good service but a little more attention to the food. Not overly expensive but when small things are not perfect we are not eager to come back and spend more money. If this is going to be your first try go for lunch then you can see if the meal prices are worth it.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Small, bistro type authentic French restaurant hidden in east Vancouver
I have dined and had lunch alone, with friends a few times, keep coming back, since everything is awesome here
The food is very tasty, presentation appealing and by now I think I tried every item on the menu. Pity it's small, and if you didn't book, might not get it
One of Vancouver's best

1  Thank Judit K
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I met a friend for an early dinner (5:30 p.m.). We were probably lucky to get in, as the restaurant began to fill up by 6:30 (the French dine at 7:00 p.m. or later), so a reservation is recommended.
I had the most perfect Bouillabaisse (fish stew) I've ever had. It was loaded with different fish and shellfish and a profiterole dessert - that's ice cream in a small puff pastry usually covered with chocolate. I had the impression that even the ice cream was "home made".
The service and atmosphere were excellent. Ditto for the food and wine.
My friend raved about the food just as much as I do.
I needed to ask for a change in one of the food items because of an allergy and there was no problem in giving me a substitution.
We were left sufficiently long to enjoy our conversation, which was extensive: two friends meeting after a long time away.
This place would be wonderful for a special occasion - Valentines, birthday, graduation, etc. etc.but it's great for a night out, anytime.
You feel like you are away in France being specially taken care of by a family of restauranteurs.

1  Thank watercolourkay
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The food was great. Had cassoulet and escargot. They were just what I would expect in Toulouse. NIce piece of duck and large sauscisse. Very tasty. Event the waiters have a French accent. Not pretnetious and good value for the money. Had the owner's own vintage with my meal (can't remember what it was, blush!) but it paired wonderfully. Would recommend this place anytime.

1  Thank Weej1967