“Great Location and Service”

Auberge Vancouver Hotel
Ranked #47 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The Auberge hotel is my favourite hotel to stay in while at Vancouver. It's location is right downtown, and only a block away from the sky-train. Our room had a microwave and fridge, which was very convenient. Everyone at the front desk took their time to answer all my questions, and we had no problems at all. The only thing that would make it better would be if they gluten free options for the continental breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank talaha

Reviewed 19 March 2014

A quick walk to the RAV line from the airport makes this hotel a convenient choice .Staff knew who I was when I was received at entrance .it still is a great view of the waterfront from the suite I was assigned . The Continental breakfast included was simple but acceptable . Give it a try ,you will not be disappointed .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank R
mthamatauberge, Manager at Auberge Vancouver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you very much for your time and your positive feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Auberge Vancouver. We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a boutique hotel. Formerly managed by the Terminal City Club, a longstanding Vancouver business persons club, the hotel is now run by the Auberge group. Guests no longer have access to the club's facilities who formerly supplied room service, restaurant and bar. While this may be a challenge for some, it is still a great hotel albeit more bed and breakfast oriented now than full service hotel. The facilities include a free breakfast room with fruit, pastries, cereals, juice and coffee. The rooms are all equipped with coffee makers, fridge, and microwave. There are numerous coffee shops, restaurants, bars, hotels and stores nearby to satisfy your gastronomic desires. The staff here are trying really hard. I stay here each month for a few days and they go out of their way to make my stay comfortable, looking after any special requests whenever they can. The location downtown is only about a block and a half from the. Canada line to the airport! a block to the Seabus, and the Skytrain station. I never need a car when I stay here. The rooms are all comfortable, the suites are delightful, and the views are great. Pay the extra and get a suite. You won't regret it.

Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Overpriced... And here is a list of questions that haunt me.

1. Why is there no sign identifying the hotel? Seriously, in the entire building.

2. Why was I not given pool passes when I checked in? I went to the pool and was informed I had to go to the lobby to get a yellow piece of paper to hand to the pool guy.

3. Why do we have An ice bucket in our room but no ice machine?

4. This is a statement... Your garage is a joke. Get it together.

All in all it has potential. Clean and nice enough but everything seems to have silly paperwork... I don't understand how anyone could be this bad at running a business.

I don't think I captured what a truly ridiculous place this is... But without a stay here its impossible to understand. Skip it and stay at a holiday inn.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 13 January 2014

When traveling to Vancouver for extended stays I usually try to stay at the TCC. The location is central in downtown Vancouver (one block away from the waterfront, in the financial district, and a couple blocks away from shopping, etc.) and extremely reasonable in price for the location.

My most recent stay however was a tad disappointing. My previous review I had raved about how excellent housekeeping was, but it has since declined dramatically. The bathroom had the standard toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, shower cap) but only one small bar of soap (and no shower gel) that never got restocked or refilled during the week+ spent there. After a couple days, I just purchased my own shower gel, since we needed the flimsy bar of soap for washing our hands in the sink. The hair dryer didn't work, the lock on the bathroom door didn't work, and besides making the bed, trash disposal and restocking the towels, it seemed nothing else in our suite was cleaned.

Otherwise I have no other issues, it was a quiet building, felt like an apartment more than a hotel, room service was satisfactory, wi-fi is fast and complimentary, I didn't have time to use the facilities.

FYI: to the night owls, the building is a hotel/ residential/ members club hybrid - so for security, the main entrance doors are locked after 11pm and require hotel guests to ring a doorbell for entry.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank grumpykins
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I considered not sharing my experience since it seems in such stark contrast to so many satisfied customers, but since the whole idea of TA is to help others make an informed decision based on several people's first hand experiences, here is mine:

My company was having our annual Christmas party once again at TCC, so I decided to book a room on the special group rate. My phone call was answered by a gentleman who informed me that I would have to book it with "name shall remain anonymous" (not into dissing individuals on TA) in group reservations and he transferred my call. GR lady answered my call and confirmed Xmas party rate with me etc., then asked me to hold for a moment - o-k, then phone rang back to original guy who asked if he could help me (??) I explained that I had been holding for GR lady, he replied "oh, she's left for the day", I interjected "no, I was just speaking to her and she put me on hold", he replied "no, she transferred you to me because she left and I see her heading for the door", I was dumbfounded to say the least, and finally when I got over the shock and could speak, asked if he would then take my reservation, and he replied "no, only GR lady can take it". WOW never ever been treated so unwanted by any hotel in my entire life - and I travel a fair bit.

Needless to say - I really didn't want to stay after that, but after a couple of weeks of fuming, I finally sucked it up and called back since I didn't want to be standing outside at midnight waiting for a taxi after our Christmas party.

This time, again a man answered the phone - but for some reason he was now able to take my reservation without transferring me to GR lady or putting me on hold. Thank goodness!!!

Check-in is a bit of a hike from the main door and up a few stairs, though they do have a ramp to the side. The woman at the reception was efficient enough, but just wasn't very engaged. I worked at the reception in hotels for many years so I don't expect employees to want to bond with me or be my instant BF, but if the hospitality industry is your chosen profession - you could at least put on a smile and "pretend" that you are happy to see me!! Instead of giving off the impression that you have something much more important to do as soon as you can give me my key and send me off.

The room was nice enough and on the quieter side at the back, it included a safe, fridge, microwave, keurig etc. The shower was confusing, I actually had to get out and go get my glasses to read the directions that you pull the ring on the faucet for the water to come out of the shower head. I never would have figured that one out.

As I was getting ready, a notice was slipped under my door informing me that as of Jan.1/14 the hotel would no longer be managed by TCC, it would be called Auberge and guests would not have any access to the clubs private facilities, i.e. the pool, fitness club etc. unless they became members.

Wow, another cold shoulder-they were starting to give me a complex. How unwanted can you make some one feel?

Then off to my party and yes the banquet room as usual was very nice and the food was excellent. The staff efficient, but again - you couldn't call them friendly, more like very serious and frankly a bit robotic.

On other occasions at TCC, i.e. prior Christmas parties, meetings or lunch when I have passed by "members" of the club, it is true - they look at you (particularly women) like you are an intruder. Perhaps it is better that the hotel be off on its own and be run by "hospitality people" instead of private club staff who judging by my experience - tend to be very stiff and just as pretentious as their men's club members.

In summary - the room was fine, but the unwelcoming attitude really blew me away.BTW I go out of my way to be a pleasant customer because I had my share of rude and problem guests when I was on the other side of the counter several years ago and I still remember how stressful it can be. Next year I will stand outside and wait for a cab to take me to the Pan Pacific or Four Seasons where I have stayed previous years because they actually treat me like they are happy that I'm staying with them!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front on Hastings Street have traffic noise, rooms at the back are much quieter.