“Not hurrying back”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Granville
Reviewed 21 May 2014

None of the menu items of acceptable quality in our experience. Tiny portion of mediocre tuna sashimi. Clumsy attempt at sushi which was heavy on rice and light on filling. Did not smell or taste fresh so we left it alone and tried the cooked part of the program. Crisp things weren't. Rubbery & fatty short ribs inedible. Gyoza dumpling tasted and felt like freezer burn?. Service curt and 'going through the motions' average at best. No green tea? Poor value for $ in our judgement. Not had worse 'Japanese' style offerings, ever. In short, a poor dining experience, & we won't be hurrying back.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Worst AYCE experience ever!
We were there with a party of 9 and the service was horrible and the manager was very rude. Do not think you will get all the list of items you see on the menu as the ordering sheet misses lots of them. On top of missing the items on the ordering sheet, they cross out some other items after we ordered and they told us that they did not have certain items in house that day... Ridiculous... They also do not give the order sheet if you still have a piece of nigiri on the table and they think the customers cannot count! When we ordered 20 BBQ short ribs, there were 8... Same with other orders... Will never go there again and certainly not worth $25 for this horrible experience.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

sashimi is awesome, sushi pretty good in general although one chef does it better than the others some of the cooked foods need work but who judges a sushi place on their cooked food?
but really, why I'm writing this is cuz i was there that day that a reviewer below me had a little fallout with the staff. Yea we were being a little rowdy but can you blame people for having some fun? There was barely any people there, you could have easily moved if it was a problem. Restaurants get loud all the time, get over it buddy.
I saw you guys too, you guys ordered plenty of food. I overheard your girl arguing to try to get a free meal, how cheap can you get?! You eat your fill and try to weasel your way out of a bill with as many excuses as you can find? Buddy, if you don't like it, pay and leave. You don't walk out of a restaurant without paying, that's illegal bro. You two should be locked up for trying that stuff. I hope you're happy with how well you two embarrassed yourselves as I had a nice laugh about it with my buddies.
You even stoop so low as to insult the chefs here, i mean really dude? Really? That's disrespectful man. How butthurt can you be? That you go and make a bunch of accounts just to cry about it on every single review site. That's pathetic dude, childish really. I bet your girl put you up to this or else you wouldn't have got any that night LOLLL
Anyways, the place is good, I come here often for food and drink and i've never had any problems. Some people are just too picky and cheap. I felt like I had to write this because that nasty thing below there that this class act of a guy left really is undeserving of the restaurant.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

After my experience last night, I will never return to Kaneda. It was hands down the single worst experience dining out. Everything was awful. We got sat next to a table that no one in the restaurant was bothering to control as they were being rowdy and being obscenely disruptive. Furthermore, we never received all the food we ordered and some of it was awful (The spring rolls actually tasted like manure). No one bothered to give us another card to order more food and we were completely ignored. Since we got fed up and didn't finish our food or get the opportunity to order another round it would be ridiculous to expect us to pay the full price for such a bad experience. That was exactly what happened and after arguing and physically being locked in the restaurant, we got a shameful discount. In addition to terrible customer service the head sushi chef (debatable) looked as if he hadn't cleaned his "whites" in months. What a grotesque way to end the night - praying you don't contract an illness. Not only would I not advise you to eat here, I would suggest letting your friends know how terribly this restaurant is run.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

If, like me, you don't know much about Japanese food, then Kaneda is a great choice for you. They have a regular menu, but also an 'all you can eat' option, which I thought was quite extensive as well as being very reasonably priced. You can choose as many of the 'all you can eat' options as you would like. It gives an opportunity, in small amounts, to try something that you have never had before...and if you really like something, you can order a little bit more of it!!
We had lots of fun trying out different dishes that were very tasty! The service was good and the waitress was very helpful in answering questions about what some of the dishes were. The tea they served was fabulous.
They had some parking available at the back of the restaurant which we were able to use, and that was very helpful. We walked up the back stairs so did not have to go around the building to the main entrance. The restaurant was very clean and gave us the feeling that we could have been in Japan.