“Laid back, quiet and cosy in the middle of the city”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Ashby House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 55 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Like "Scott in Oslo" before me in these reviews, I stayed in the Oscar Wilde room a week or so ago. Vancouver is an excellent city to visit and Ashby House is an excellent base for visiting. It is close to the laid back bars and restaurants of Davie Street, near a park (which hosts an excellent weekly farmers market) and within walking distance of downtown if you don't mind a 20 minute+ stroll.
The house has character in spades. It is not an uber-modern, slick, impersonal operation, but a period home and if that is not your thing, don't go there. If you want cable TV and radio again, don't go there as they have neither (which to me was a blessing0.
If however character and charm are for you, do visit, because the house AND its very friendly and laid back owners have these commodities in abundance.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank apbarkway2016

Reviewed 11 September 2009

I had a wonderful stay in Ashby House for 3 nights at the end of my trip across Canada. I found the hosts to be warm and friendly, maybe a little eccentric but certainly kind and helpful. I stayed in the Oscar Wilde room which was ideal for my requirements. Yes the house is decorated in Victorian style to suit it's heritage but this was not a surprise to me as the photos and description on the website stated this. I love books anyway so liked the many bookshelves (again mentioned on the website). The dog and cat were around but well behaved and didn't bother anyone while I was staying there. I found the breakfast to be delicious, fresh fruit from the local market, delicious granola and any hot food you liked cooked to order.

The owners suggested good reasonably priced restaurants nearby and also loaned me a pass to the Vancouver Art Gallery!

The location is excellent, really is 5mins from Robson Street, maybe 10-15mins downhill to the Granville Island ferry. No idea about parking as I didn't have a car.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Scot_in_Oslo
Reviewed 17 August 2008

My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at the Ashby B&B. I agree that the location is great. Walking distance to almost everywhere and very close to the bus stop (in case you don't want to walk). The owners were nice but a bit on the strange side. After 4 days in their house, they never actually introduced themselves to us. We became friends with a solo traveler and she had the same experience. Although we asked for suggestions on what locals do in Vancouver, the owners just gave us the usual tourity locations. When I asked to use their computer to check my emails, one of the owners stood over my shoulder the entire time. It was weird to me so I just closed my email and checked them at an internet cafe. I later find out that she has the password to get on to their secured wifi but she never actually offered it to me. Within the 4 days of our stay, nobody ever came into our room to give us clean towels, dump the garbage, etc. The breakfast only consists of cold cereal, some fruit and hot items of eggs, bacon or sausage. Not much of a variety compared to other B&Bs we have stayed in in the past. However, the biggest fault we found was that they didn't change the sheets for the next client! We kept our packed bags in our room on the last day until we were ready to head to the airport, when we went back at the end of the day, we noticed that they had finally cleaned the room but left OUR sheets on the bed. Yikes! We did take a shower before going to bed each night, but that is still disgusting to think the sheets could have been used before us, too! This B&B is worth it for the location, but that's it. We have stayed in many B&Bs around the world and this one did NOT meet our expectations.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Luv2travll
Reviewed 11 August 2008

This is a glorious old house with wonderful plants and flowers in the front yard, ideally located near downtown Vancouver. The hosts were friendly, the breakfasts were good. The problem is the minute you enter this home you smell something "bad." We identified it as "pet accidents smell." There is one cat and one dog, but the smell could have come from many pets over the years in this century-plus old house. Another guest also mentioned the bad smell. She said, "This house just needs a really good cleaning." Too bad, because everything else was great.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank revgmb4689
Reviewed 1 August 2008

The Ashby B&B is located in a nice central neighbourhood. When you sit on the porch, or at a cafe in one of the streets close to it, you can entertain yourself just at looking around, watching people.
It's an old house, historically decorated. We made a reservation for the Wilde Room, but without any explanation we were situated in the cellar room. That was a bit strange. It was a bit dark down there, but it was really big, with a couch and chairs and a fireplace, and a nice bathroom in the hall, just to be used by us.
Breakfast was great, nice to talk to the owners and other guests. if you wanted suggestions for attractions or walks, or use the computer; just go ahead. Really relaxed!
The small farmers market at saturday a block away is cute, and the chocolats from 'Bad Girl' really are great!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TienenTuur
Reviewed 22 June 2008

If you like 19th century houses, this may be the place for you to stay. The house, the room and the bathroom all look like a museum; everything is decorated in the 19th century style. It wasn't really our tast, but everything was clean and the king size bed was comfortable. The room was plain with no extra's (no tv or coffee maker).
The B&B is located just two streets from Downtown, yet it's quite quiet and parking facilities are perfect.
The shower was not that great with very little water.
Breakfast was fine and the hosts were kind.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DutchTheNetherlands
Reviewed 12 June 2008

As most of the previous reviews already stated, the most important quality of Ashby House is that the hosts just make you feel like their own friends. I stayed at Ashby House when I attended a conference in Vancouver. I really appreciated the cozy atmosphere of the b&b when I came back after a long day.
The hosts were wonderful: very helpful, full of good suggestions (I spend the one day I had for sightseeing in probably the best places that Vancouver has to offer thanks to their suggestions), welcoming, and very easy to chat with.
I enjoyed the breakfast very much, the animals definitely add to the atmosphere, and the location is definitely great, not to mention the value for the price.
Overall, I highly recommend Ashby House for a stay in Vancouver, and I will stay there again if I come back to the city.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business