“BEWARE, HOTEL/HOSTEL IS IN A CONSTANT STATE OF BED BUGS”

C & N Backpackers - 927 Main
C & N Backpackers - 927 Main
Winnipeg, Canada
“BEWARE, HOTEL/HOSTEL IS IN A CONSTANT STATE OF BED BUGS”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Okay let me tell you first that my boyfriend and I are young people who arnt really picky and understand that you get what you pay for so we knew the place wasnt gonna be highclass, or very attractive but what we didnt want to pay for is bed bugs. and the hotel is constantly trying to fight them. they spray every tuesday. we paid 320$ for 6 days, only to have found out that the hostel is actually a low rent "hotel" which is very simular to alot of rooming houses I have lived in. and that there are alot of locals who live here for like $400-450 a month, depending on the room. for a little more we coulda stayed alot longer but we're really happy we didnt. Like I said my boyfriend and I have lived in some pretty ruff places in our lives and this place is just like any other rooming house/ low income residental hotel. we can deal with just about anything, but I really hate bed bugs and my boyfriend breaks out in massive welts all over his body when he gets bitten. where as I dont. so for some people like me you may not realise u have them unless you happen to catch the crawling on your bed or wall or worse, on you. we arrived on the monday, and had slept ontop of our own blankets so we didnt notice them the first night, on tuesday the bedbug guys came to check our room and had found 2 bedbugs crawling on the matress and they just picked them off, when we asked if they were gonna spray they said no because "it would be fine". we slept on our blankets again hoping we would be okay, but by morning my boyfriend woke up with these big dollar size red welts on his sholders and back of his legs, in our past experiances when my boyfriend and I are sleeping in the same bed that has bugs, I almost never get biten and they seem to just bite him so we knew from past experiances that they were the cause of his very ichy bite marks. we told the front desk guy about them and after him expaining how they only spray on tuesday and us telling him how they wouldnt they finally sprayed our boxsprings and put sticky paper under our bed. 4 hours later when we were allowed back into our room and within about 5min of being back in we saw a bedbug crawling up the wall and my poor boyfriend continued to get biten. because the hostel is right in the DTES which hosts alot of drug addicts and shady people. we stupidly got ripped off by a guy we met the day before who promised us vip tickets to a downtown club. georcery shopping is hard as all the Asian markets sell only produce and fish, so the convence stores near by within walking distances charge u an arm and a leg for simple items like cereal and milk. u gotta catch a bus to up 2 broadway and theres a "save on foods" near main and broadway.
we had also told the front desk guy that we our bus didnt leave till a little later pass the 11am check out time and hoped that cuz of the bedbug situation that they would have let us stay a bit longer just to wait but they said no because of other peoples reservations. even though we knew there were lots of empty rooms. so that was disapointing too. they did let us keep our luggage in there storage room while we left to kill time b4 we had to catch our bus. I wouldnt reccomend this place to anyone with high standards. it is simply a place to sleep. (if u can) our room was always really cold at night too so it sucked having to sleep on top of our blankets. we ended up giving away our blankets when we left to to advoid cross contamination. this place is good for people who would only be staying a nite or 2 without any expectations of quality.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank like_a_hwy

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I stayed in this hostel for 3 weeks and it was a pretty easy stay. The staff are friendly and very helpful with any questions, the hostel was always clean and being cleaned. If you are a walker like I am, it only takes 20min to get to Downtown Granville st and 25min to Davie st, there are also buses and trains very close by. it was also a quiet hostel so there werent any problems re noise etc..the other people staying seemed quite friendly and over all it was a great stay..Vancouver is a great city and this hostel helped with that enjoyment, if only Vancouver had work going, I would have stayed.I have already recommaned this place to friends.

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We booked a private room, and it was a great place for what we needed. What we needed was a safe place to store our stuff during the day & to sleep at night, and a kitchen to cook some food at night.
The location is good and bad, the good that it is a 5 minute walk from the Amtrak and Grey hound station, and not far from the Sky Train.
The bad is you are not far from Hasting Street, which there are a few homeless, but they will pretty much leave you alone. And the hostel will give you plenty of advise.
But all in all you get what you pay for, and as we were on a budget it was fine for us.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mizarama
Brussels
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We booked online, website looked fine and there aren't too many budget options in Vancouver. However, we checked out first thing and moved into a hotel after having spent the night in a tiny, cell-like room, opposite the massive washing machines. The sink was disgusting, full of rust, bunk bed mattresses just dusty (the lower bed had to face the mattress bottom, no layer inbetween) and fortunately the sheets were of brown/blue color anyway (must be a reason why they don't provide standard white sheets!). Staff was friendly but they must live in some other reality as it is just beyond me how they dare to rent out such rooms.. Bathrooms were ok, though. The whole area is seedy though, we walked around after 9pm in search of food (nothing) and didn't feel safe at all, despite coming from a major city ourselves. Its centrally located though.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank varda123

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2010

dude, im tired of hearing that people don't like this place. welcome to the real world. you get what you pay for! c'mon, twenty bones a night... if you expect something better then stop being so cheap! spend the extra cash and stop b*tching.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I payed $60 PER NIGHT (yes for a backpackers) for two nights at C & N Backpackers due to the Olympics. There was literally NO VACANCY anywhere in the city. Its actually above the most derelict pub I have ever seen (you know the one with homeless people out the front and the only ppl in the pub are drugo's with nowhere else to go). It is located on Main Street near East Hastings, which is diseased drugo's paradise. This is the type of place where you dont want to touch anything and you feel dirty just being in there.

I checked in straight from my flight at 2am - the old guy behind the reception seemed confused and totally unaware of what was going on. The whole place was cold, dark and stunk like underarm sweat and pot.

I didnt want to sleep in the bed but i was exhausted from a 20+ hour flight. The sheets seemed clean but i was itching alot. It was very noisy from the street outside (Trucks, ambulance, cars) The shower is a joke, there are like 5 streams of water coming out of the head so i was freezing cold.

I paid for two nights but got out of there the next morning (no refund due to Olympics).. This place is a terrible place to stay and will give anyone a really bad first impression of Vancouver... I really recommend this place as an absolute last resort. (Seriously try every other place in town first even if you have to pay a bit more, its worth it)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Lindawubz
Melbourne
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We stayed here during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic games, and were extremely unsatisfied with our stay... Firstly we booked a private room with queen bed, only to be given a jail-cell like room with two sets of bunk beds, and no TV (as promised). This was disappointing considering we paid $170 a night for a dive...The mattresses were shocking, with springs digging into your back, and the room was fairly dirty when we arrived. No to mention the beautiful view of a dirty brick wall.

I think the worst part about this hotel, though, is the area; being so close to Chinatown, the drug-area of Vancouver, you are constantly confronted with strange and scary people as soon as you step out the door. I recommend you avoid Chinatown at all costs...

In summary, DO NOT STAY HERE! Spend an extra few dollars and stay closer to downtown in a place that doesn't resemble a jail...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple