“Great Hostel, great location!”
Review of Samesun Vancouver

Samesun Vancouver
Wiesbaden
“Great Hostel, great location!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We had a private room on the second floor (there are a lot of stairs!) with shared washroom. These were cleaned twice a day, so this turned out to be no problem.
There were three fans in our room, so the temperature was OK. It was pretty quiet during the nights, we haven't heard a thing.
We didn't use the kitchen, but we took a look at it and it was really clean.

The Beaver is a great location to have a nice dinner and a few beers in the evening. The food is really good and if don't want to cook for yourself and go with their daily special offer it's a cheap (and much better!) alternative to McDonalds and Co.

The breakfast in the morning, which is also served in the Beaver, contains different sorts of bagels and bread, muffins, butter, marmelade and honey, cereals, fresh fruits, coffee (which is good!), milk, orange and apple juice. It’s really good, although after the third night we kind of had enough of it ;)
If you get there a little bit late, it might be quite crowded, so that you have to share your table with other guests, but that’s good to make some new friends ;)

I would totally recommend this hostel to anyone with low budget who is looking for a cheap but good accommodation in Vancouver!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ti1310

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had never stayed in a hostel before this one. I was expecting something super communal, and dingy with no privacy.

It was only half of what I expected. It was a very relaxed and inviting environment, and the staff was really friendly.

The BEST part was the free breakfast daily and cheap drinks. Different food and drink specials daily, and daily activities. Good if you don't have plans and want a cheap/free way to see parts of Vancouver. Also, you get a discount on the already cheap food just for participating in FREE activities.

The bathroom was pretty clean considering how many people go through them daily. I was impressed.

I didn't room with anyone I didn't know (as a group of us booked a room to share) so I didn't get the full hostel experience. The rooms weren't spotless, but they were homey and cute.

I did my "bed bug/insect" check of the mattresses and the room and it was clean!

There's no AC so it was a death trap hanging out in the room to get ready. Thankfully we had plans constantly so we were only in the room to change and sleep. There was a small fan that didn't really do much so we tried not to be in the room very often. It was brutally hot.

I'd rather be too hot than too cold any day (as I'm used to -35 winters). The location is a good spot with lots of hustle and bustle so you aren't far from anything exciting.

I will definitely stay there in the future!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kayla S
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Good experience, very clean, the staff are very nice and the free breakfast which is simple but very good. The location could not be better where is on the most know street in Vancouver. I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I'd heard very positive reviews from friends about the hostel prior to making a booking - my expectations were definitely met. I stayed at the hostel on 3 different occasions over the period of 3 weeks. Each room I had was very similar; clean, spacious and fitted with appropriate amenities. The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful [particularly Doug & Rob - who had to carry my suit case up & down the stairs a few times :)]

The Beaver (the bar) inside the hostel was awesome. I went there a lot for the cheap drinks and food. It was very easy to meet people there too if you're looking for somebody to talk to. I got to know the staff pretty well because I was there... a lot. Ria who always seemed to be on the floor was lovely. Jade, the manager was really nice. Ella and Anthony behind the bar were extremely attentive and friendly!

Would definitely recommend this place to others

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I'm always hesitant about staying at hostels because of the negative nature of past experiences, so I was so pleasantly surprised when we stayed here! The rooms and common areas are very clean! The bathrooms get cleaned twice a day (yay! - gotta love clean bathrooms!) there is a large kitchen to cook in and fridges and freezers to store everything. The atmosphere is great and we've had the pleasure of meeting some great people! Wifi is fast and the beds are comfy. Yes it can get hot up on the third floor but it is only $35 a night. Each bed has a lil fan and the big window opens up to let the late night cool air creep in so it becomes bearable. Yes it can be noisy from Granville street so come prepared like me with some earplugs and you'll be golden :) they organise activities throughout the week that you can find in the posters everywhere - which I thought were fantastic! They are really well run and are quite efficient! Breaky is free and consists on bagels, toast, muffins and fruit which, FOR FREE, is super sufficient for me :) after speaking to a lot of our friends that have stage around vancouver, this hostel seems to dominate over them all. Well done guys!

Stayed August 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My friends and I left here the other day, we had a very pleasant 2 nights and could have easily stayed for longer. Breakfast is excellent, with fruit salad. Also, after breakfast unclean dishes and cutlery are washed for you by the staff which is good. The whole hostel is very clean, and we had a spacious, modern 4 bed room with a large window. My friends found the room rather warm, although personally I found the temperature fine. There a lot of stairs, and with luggage its rather intimidating. However, the staff are more than happy to help and carried my luggage each way. The location is central and close to Vancouver's shopping and eating districts. It is placed on the strip and there are some red light areas, but the atmosphere is very good. There is a lock room for luggage and the communal shower rooms were very clean. My only qualm was the staff in the evening restaurant, not the politest or most informative staff I have met. This was my only drawback, from an overall very good stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Very good clean hostel, with friendly staff and lots of activities to offer. Only thing I didn't like was the amount of people to a bathroom but that's just personal preference. We are staying in a few weeks at the samesun hostel at Venice beach so we clearly did enjoy our stay. The beaver inside the hostel is a cheap and friendly place to eat..

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends