“Nice little tasters”

Granville Island Brewing
Ranked #34 of 356 things to do in Vancouver
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours of Canada's first modern microbrewery last about a half hour and include a souvenir glass and a taste of four brews. Kids are welcome; they get a taste of root beer. COST: C$8.75. July and Aug., Sun.-Wed. 10-7, Thurs.-Sat. 10-8; Sept.-June, daily 10-7; call for tour times.
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Nice little tasters”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Enjoyed this as you get a choice of 8 different beers and you can choose 3 to try (in very small amounts) - you can then go and buy them in the shop next door. We also had food there and it was good - we had the soup of the day and the pizza and both were lovely.

Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Good Beer, Tours Sell Out Fast”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was really looking forward to our visit to Granville Island Brewing. It has a great location, a nice tasting room and a fairly impressive shop where you can buy all kinds of beer gear. On the one hand, we drank some delicious beer, so that was good. On the other, there were a few things that were a bit disappointing.

First, the beer. The tasting room has 8 different kinds. My wife and I split our choices- we tried the Lager (delicious), the Hefeweizen (my favorite), the Raspberry (super light), the Maple Cream Ale (smokey and interesting), and the Amber (fine). All in all, the beer was tasty and I appreciated the different choices they have. And really, that's what this is all about right? Drinking good beer. In that vein, Granville Island Brewing delivered.

In other areas, they didn't quite meet expectations. We showed up at 3:45pm, hoping to jump on either the 4:30 or 5:30 tour. They were both sold out. Slightly disappointing, but not the brewery's fault (if you want to do a tour, I'd suggest getting there early).

We moved to the tasting room and were informed due to licensing laws, they can only serve each person a total of 12 ounces of beer a day. What??? At first, I thought they were joking. 12 ounces isn't much at all. You could choose to drink one regular sized beer or do 3 4-ounce tasters. And, that's it. No matter what you say, you aren't getting any more to drink. That just baffles my mind.

There is also a food menu, but my wife and I looked it over and absolutely nothing seemed all that appealing to us. We decided to skip the food. I do wish they had a better selection of snacks.

In conclusion, the beer was good, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was pleasant. However, the small quantities of beer, lack of good food, and very limited tour sizes really brought the experience down.

Visited June 2014
Poole, United Kingdom
481 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 357 helpful votes
“Nice place, shame about the licensing law.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I walked a long way in the rain to get to Granville Island as part of my daily workout. I was looking forward to a meal and a few drinks in the brewery but after ordering an IPA I was told that was it - no more beer. One 12 oz glass per customer per day! I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, you don't get this at Steamworks or Yaletown Breweries I decided to eat elsewhere to their loss. The beer is good although not sure about their 'Raspberry' Ale but I didn't have a chance to find out. I took a tour on my last visit but they are still doing them. It's a nice place to eat and drink but be prepared to go thirsty if you have finished your 12 oz and are still waiting for your meal.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dorsetbruce
Melbourne
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“great meeting place for friends”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Trap for the young player - we were meeting friends there and were ready early so thought we would go for a drinks before they arrived but because this place is technically a tasting place they are only licensed to serve each person 12oz. We had to sit and wait for an hour so that we could have a drink together. Overall though it is a great little place and perfect as a meeting place before going out for dinner.

Visited April 2014
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great beer, awesome brewery”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stopped in for some quality BC brew while on the island. Very cool building and great location too. Had a flight of beers, including the potato stout. All were very good, the honey beer was probably my favorite; subtle hint of honey was great. Be aware that you're only allowed one full beer or one flight sampler as they are a tasting room only.

Visited April 2014