“Yummy and delicious”

Price range: US$26 - US$41
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Commercial Drive
Description: Absinthe Bistro offers modern and classic french cooking on Commercial Drive
washington
“Yummy and delicious”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This place is out of the way -- tucked into an artsy district (across from the park), but a great place to sit and watch. They have a prix-fix menu (2 or 3 meal choice, entree, main, and/or dessert). The food we had was absolutely exquisite. I can see why it's been around for as long as it has. I had the salmon to start, duck confit w/wine redux for an entree, and the caramel rice pudding for dessert -- which was completely salacious! the duck was incredibly moist, but not the skin. The skin was still slightly crispy, and not oily...i've had many duck, and generally don't like it because it's rather oily, but they did an amazing job with this one! My husband had the summer tomato gaspacho, scallops (I can't remember -- sorry, i think I was too immersed in my food to recall), and he had the chocolate molten lava cake. he really liked his food as well.

I asked the restaurant about their menu, and they said that they changed one -- to two items every month, so while it changes consistently, you should know that you'll be able to get most of the food available if you continually check.

I believe the 3 course meal is $35 (includes dessert), i'm not sure what the 2 course meal was. This is not inclusive of drinks and tip. Also a good thing to note, there are several people there that speak fluent French as well in case you ever want to practice, or worry about not being able to communicate. :)

Visited July 2014
1 Thank travelling_fishes

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“My birthday treat”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My girlfriend had booked the 1, 2 and 3 Trip Advisor restaurants for our week in Vancouver. As this was the one for my birthday it must be special. In most ways it was. Strangely we turned up 10 minutes before our booked time and were advised to return later. They turn the tables at least twice during the evening. We had a coffee next door. The service is charming and Julianna is gorgeous. But the service is slow. We waited an hour between starter and main. I have read other reports here of the same so they need to sort it, they apologise nicely and the chef also - but maybe they are well practised. The food was great - that is what we were there for. It was fun to watch the open kitchen and the food being prepared - especially the lamb shanks being finished off. Clearly they have a good local trade which is a great recommendation. I loved the absinthe fountain and had to try one. Thank you to Cory and Julianna for my cute birthday card. PS - check your website guys - home made also with spelling errors (attention to detail?).

1 Thank Mike G
“Authentic French but quaintly underwhelming”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

After the glowing reviews on trip advisor, we expected an excellent dinner, especially since the menu was so small, with thee choices of appetizers, entrees, and desserts. The pate was excellent as was the gazpacho with prawns. The scallop entree was fine, nothing special, the lamb shank was very good. Desserts were fine, again nothing special. It was a Sunday evening and the restaurant was perhaps overwhelmed. We waited exactly one hour for each course which was excessive despite the staff friendliness. Would not return given the very excellent dining choices in Vancouver.

1 Thank Sandra S
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent Little French Place in Vancouver”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It took us a while to go to this place as the location is in an area that doesn't rhyme with fine dining. Amazing little French restaurant crewed by an enthusiastic and deservedly so proud team. Didn't feel like Absinthe so got the Pastis on a summer evening. Limited menu so go there to taste the menu le chef proposes. Very limited seating so reserve in advance. Only thing missing is a game of pétanque outside on the pavement.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank F C
Vancouver, Canada
“One Of My New Favourites!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This place is amazing! It is quaint and authentic, not pretentious at all. We took our parents there for dinner and they loved it.

I love the simple price fixe menu that gives you three choices of each course. You have the choice of doing either two or three courses at $28 or $35 respectively. You can also choose which courses you want. ie: starter and a main, or main and desert, or all three.

I had the gazpacho, scallops and crème brulee. All were delicious but the scallops were out of this world with a delicious beurre blanc sauce. I've never had scallops this good! I tried my fiancés appetizer which was the herbed goat cheese terrine another gem on the menu.

The service was amazing and courteous. I cannot say enough good things about this place.
I intend to make this wonderful restaurant one of my go to places for a night out.