History Walks in Vancouver with James Johnstone - Private Tour
Ranked #46 of 161 Tours in Vancouver
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: I host 2 and a half to 3 hour guided history walks in four of Vancouver's historic neighbourhoods: the East End/Strathcona, the West End, Grandview, and Mount Pleasant. Most of the stories shared on my tours come from my work as a house history researcher. I have researched the history of 900 Vancouver homes and share their stories and my passion for Vancouver history on my tours and in a popular blog called "When An Old House Whispers". The dates and times and rendezvous information for my regularly scheduled history walks can be found at historywalksinvancouver blog. Private walking tours in English, Japanese or Italian can be arranged for groups of five or more depending on my availability.
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“fascinating tour”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I took the (2 hour) walking tour in Vancouver's West End last week.It was well over the 2 hour mark and it was filled with wonderful glimpses into the area(and indeed Vancouver's) past history.James has a passion for Vancouver history and it shines through his tours.Very reasonably priced and well worth your time

Vancouver, BC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The tour to take if you want to know the history of West End Homes”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just went on a walking tour of the West End with James this past weekend. Although I was born and raised in Vancouver, my knowledge of the history of this neighbourhood was almost nil. After two hours with James, I learned more about the neighbourhood -- especially the old homes still remaining there -- than I could have ever imagined. James brings the history of the homes to life with stories of the people who lived there. He is, literally, a walking history book. I highly recommend this tour for both Vancouver natives wanting to know about their city and for tourists who want to see and learn about the few heritage homes still standing in this very popular neighbourhood.

1 Thank Sue M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic time with a fantastic tour guy :-)”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

What else to say?
If you want to discover he oldest neighbourhood in Vancouver, well James is the one to do it with.
I can't believe how much knowledge is has and how cool it is to get to know the history of my neighbourhood (I live here).
James is pleasant, friendly and very professional.
I highly recommend this tour!

1 Thank Cam A
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing historical tour in Vancouver, Strathcona”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were on an historic walking tour yesterday with James as our tour guide and leader of that amazing tour. We have learned so much about Vancouver and most of all about our unique neighborhood, which is here, Strathcona, where we live now for a year. That tour is rich and seriously well documented. How great it was to have such details about the beginnings of Vancouver nd stories about people of that neighborhood.
James also speaks many languages so that if english is not your first language you can ask him more precisions in your own language, such as french, italian, japaneese and more....
I really recommend that tour. When we will have visitors coming over, I will contact James to have another tour with him. This is the kind of experience you can repeat and repeat again... and you each time will learn something new.

1 Thank marymonde1
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A wealth of knowledge”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you are looking for a tour from someone with an in depth knowledge and a keen genuine interest in community history this is the one! We've taken tours in many cities/countries and Jame's tour was at the top of the list!

Visited May 2014

Travellers who viewed History Walks in Vancouver with James Johnstone - Private Tour also viewed

Vancouver, British Columbia

Been to History Walks in Vancouver with James Johnstone - Private Tour? Share your experiences!