“An Authentic Experience of the City”

History Walks in Vancouver with James Johnstone - Private Tour
Ranked #45 of 158 Tours in Vancouver
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: I host 2 and a half to 3 hour guided history walks in four of Vancouver's historic neighbourhoods: the East End/Strathcona, the West End, Grandview, and Mount Pleasant. Most of the stories shared on my tours come from my work as a house history researcher. I have researched the history of 900 Vancouver homes and share their stories and my passion for Vancouver history on my tours and in a popular blog called "When An Old House Whispers". The dates and times and rendezvous information for my regularly scheduled history walks can be found at historywalksinvancouver blog. Private walking tours in English, Japanese or Italian can be arranged for groups of five or more depending on my availability.
Vancouver, Canada
“An Authentic Experience of the City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had the pleasure of taking one of James’ walking tours awhile ago. It was a two-hour excursion that took participants through Vancouver’s first neighbourhood—the East End (or Strathcona as it is presently called). I was impressed by James’ extensive knowledge of the area, as well as his genuine passion and appreciation for the neighbourhood and its long and colourful history. The stories were lively, the architecture stunning, and the archival photographs, which James’ showed along the way, compelling. The East End tour is suitable both for tourists as well as long-time residents of the city. I have lived in Vancouver for three decades but it became quickly evident to me how little I knew about the city and its earliest neighbourhood until I took his tour! James is friendly and engaging, and I’d recommend any of his tours for a more authentic experience of the city.

Visited August 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't Miss This!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I live in Vancouver and know the sites. James' history walk is unbelievable. Don't miss this one. Plus, he is fluent in English, Japanese, Spanish, French, and Italian! Worth twice the money. Go for it.

Visited June 2014
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fabulous insider view of old Strathcona”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

James is an excellent tour guide and I found this tour both extremely interesting and fun. It was great to walk around the streets of the East End and hear about the history of the houses. James has done a lot of amazing research into this neighbourhood and he really shows his love for the area. It was fascinating to walk through the alleys and "see" the old East End. Thank you James! I'd highly recommend this tour for both visitors and Vancouverites alike. In fact, it should be obligatory for Vancouverites to learn something about their city. I won't view Strathcona in the same way again. He made it come alive with his stories.

Visited June 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Top cultural (tourism) experience in Vancouver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

James Johnstone makes Vancouver's history come alive with his intimate knowledge and fascinating stories from the city's most storied neighborhoods. The history is especially compelling because it is told largely through the lives of people, families, groups, cultures that have inhabited in the city's older homes and neighborhoods: from the goldrush, to loggers and bootleggers and Jimi Hendrix... I left with a whole new appreciation and sharpened senses for the city.

Visited May 2014
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“fascinating tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I took the (2 hour) walking tour in Vancouver's West End last week.It was well over the 2 hour mark and it was filled with wonderful glimpses into the area(and indeed Vancouver's) past history.James has a passion for Vancouver history and it shines through his tours.Very reasonably priced and well worth your time

Visited May 2014

Travellers who viewed History Walks in Vancouver with James Johnstone - Private Tour also viewed

Vancouver, British Columbia
Vancouver, British Columbia

Been to History Walks in Vancouver with James Johnstone - Private Tour? Share your experiences!