“The past reinvented”

Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Bard on the Beach is one of Canada's largest not-for-profit, professional Shakespeare Festivals. Presented in a magnificent setting on the waterfront in Vancouver's Vanier Park, the Festival offers Shakespeare plays, related dramas, and several special events in two performance tents from June through September.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 16 February 2014

One of our summer treats is attending Bard on the Beach. I've never been disappointed as they cleverly adapt costuming, sets to the splendour of works of Shakespeare. Whether it be a tragedy or comedy the drama is woven into stirring sensory experience. Their renditions are enjoyed by teens to seniors. Like the salmon we keep coming back to share in this tradition.

There are newer reviews for Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Chris Gaze and company capture what I imagine to be the original "feel" of a Shakespeare play back in the days of the bard when you had "groundlings" and nobles rubbing shoulders. We go everytime there's a new production as well as repeat some of the ones we've already seen. What a great facet of our great city!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Christopher Gaze and him team always come through with a terrific Shakespeare presentation. The plays are always topnotch and performed in a beautiful setting.

The Chor Leoni men’s choir also has two performances there every year and they are absolutely eccentric, imaginary, and fantastic, all at the same time, great entertainment.

2  Thank tailes2
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a pretty informal production, in a tent on the edge of False Creek. The acoustics were not that great, so in the second half we crept down from the nose-bleed balcony and sat right next to the stage (with permission from an usher).

I had not seen the merchant of Venice before, so it gave a little better context for the famous quote about the pound of flesh. Not a bad story, told with passion by a good cast on a sunny day.

I am not a connaisseur of drama, but this was fun for me and my non-artsy wife. Recommended.

1  Thank Arthur G
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Bard on the Beach is a Vancouver staple -- everyone should experience it at least once, and I, like many who live in this lovely city (or visit it), have been going year after year. I appreciate the fact that you get to see some of Shakespeare's least-performed plays alongside the warhorses. But I would be less than truthful if I didn't note that the quality of performances isn't as high, in my opinion, as it once used to be. Or rather, not as consistently high. I've found myself wincing now and then at some of the renditions, even while being grateful for the fact that our city has a festival such as this. I may be overly critical, of course. Even when the show isn't absolutely great, it's still a lovely experience -- the ambience, the brilliance of Shakespeare and the sheer likeability of the organiser, Christopher Gaze, and his hard-working team.

2  Thank RWBombay