“Great during the Olympics and am sure it always will be an excellent B and B Choice!”
Review of Corkscrew Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vancouver
Corkscrew Inn
Ranked #7 of 54 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Stayed at the Corkscrew in Kitsilano for 17 days during the Vancouver Winter Olympics. I had contacted the B and B more than one year before the games and was lucky enough to find space at this quaint, charming and professionaly run property. I spent the first part of my experience in the Art Deco Room and the later half of my stay in the Eduardian room. I had to divide my time between the two rooms due to previous bookings during the Games.

Karen, the manager of the Corkscrew was very helpful and professional in all my contacts leading up to the Games. Most of the information required was found on the B and B's website but Karen didn't mind being contacted for other information. They took a 50% deposit on booking with the remaining paid upon arrival at the B and B.

The property is in Kitsilano near 4th Ave and MacDonald streets with ample bus routes in the area. The hotel is about two blocks away from the Ocean and I found to be an easy walk to downtown Vancouver either by the Ocean or on hip 4th Avenue.

The breakfast at the property where excellent and although they were on a one week cycle, which I cycled through twice, I was impressed with the quality and variety of options available. They do keep a selection of yoghurts, cookies, fruit out at all times as well as tea bags to enjoy at your leisure.

The rooms I was in were very different from a size factor as well as comfort and price point. The Art Deco room with it's balcony, large room, large washroom, office area and windows on all sides was just fabulous. Of course this comes at a price although for what I experienced it was wonderful. I found this room to be literally sound proof which was fabulous as I am easily perturbed by noisy houseguests at B and B's and hotels.

The Eduardian room was on the main floor, beside the kitchen and the dining room. Suprisingly I had no complaints due to those factors of its location but rather from the others guests in the room above. I guess some people don't think it is a probelm moving luggage around thier room at 1130 at night. I spoke with them that first night and there was no complaints after that so basically as long as everyone respects the peacefullness of the place noise isn't too much of a factor. The Eduardian room as well was much smaller than the Art Deco room but had great views of the back garden and seemed more light filled. The washroom didn't have a bath but had the best shower ever. There was also a nice cabinet in the foyer to the room which was nice as the bedroom area wasn't cluttered with all your stuff as it was neatly tucked away in the cabinet.

On another not, during the Olympic Games I was expecting a huge premium on the nightly rates although the Corkscrew management only charged about $25 per night more than thier peak season rate which too me says alot about who runs this place and the type of people they are! They were not out to gouge travellers and I felt liked I wasn't just a dollar sign walking into the place.

Definately would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to esperience a charming, unique B and B in Vancouver, away from the hustle and bustle of a large city but so close to everything to see and do in Vancouver!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank TORN1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
North Somerset, England
Reviewed 17 April 2010

The Corkscrew Inn provides a wonderfully friendly welcome. The house has been renovated and decorated with great care and attention to detail. It feels homely and welcoming Everything for your comfort has been thought of, with bathrobes, hairdryer and tv in the bedrooms.
Downstairs there is a lovely welcoming sitting room with a nice fire in the fireplace which is good to sit in front of on a cooler evening. The rooms and bathrooms are beautifully decorated, comfortable and very clean. Having your own control of the heating in your room is a nice touch. All the rooms we saw during our 3 stays over 2 weeks had their own balconies and furniture to sit out on.
A computer is provided for guests to use and this is cleverly "hidden" in the sideboard in the dining room.
In the dining room there are always hot drinks and snacks - cookies, cereals, fruit, yoghourts, The breakfasts were amazing, you can eat three courses each day if you are so inclined ! The home made preserves, jams and jellies and the "artisan.breads" were all delicious and the cooked breakfast each day was always interesting and very tasty . Everything is freshly prepared .
Karen and Wayne are great hosts, friendly and very helpful. Karen is a fount of knowledge for directions and Wayne's smiley face breakfast has to be seen! Breakfast times are friendly as people from several different countries and continents chat around the table.
We had a great time and would most definitely recommend The Corkscrew Inn.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chalkhorses11
Dunedin
Reviewed 11 March 2010

This was our first trip to Canada, a stop -over on our way back to NZ having spent 5 weeks in Europe. A great way to end our trip. A very pleasant surprise when we arrived at the Corkscrew Inn as we tend to be fussy and can usually find fault. Excellent base to explore Vancouver either on foot or using public transport. Warm, comfortable, spacious home. Made to feel very welcome. Breakfast was plentiful, varied and well prepared with quality fresh food and baking. Karen and Wayne are first class hosts.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catDunedin
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We don’t understand the rave reviews for this B&B. We stayed at two other B&Bs for the Olympics that were highly rated on TripAdvisor and they were spectacular and worthy of their ratings! The Corkscrew Inn was a HUGE disappointment that was misrepresented on the website. First, upon walking into the house we were notified that shoes had to be taken off and that we were expected to walk around the house in socks. This was NOT mentioned in their “Bed and Breakfast Policies” on the website. We have never experienced this in all our years of staying in B&Bs and didn’t appreciate this unexpected news!

We were never offered any assistance with bringing our luggage in from the street. Their website mentioned one off-street parking spot. We were never told that such a spot was available. When we were shown to the Arizona room there was no television or clock radio. I was informed they were stored in the closet. When I mentioned to the General Manager the fact that I had to do everything myself to hook-up the appliances, she informed me that most people prefer to not have a television available. It’s the Winter Olympics! Wouldn’t you think everyone would be interested in watching the events?

The website mentioned that our room had “in-floor heat with your own thermostat”. The floor was cold and the thermostat did not work. We used the fireplace/space heater for warmth in the room. However, the hair dryer blew the circuit breaker for the room 3 times! When you take a shower don’t bother to adjust the water temperature. I had it on High and the water was only warm. If your shower lasts more than 5 minutes, you’ll enjoy a lukewarm shower.

When we checked-in, we were notified that everyone else had already agreed on having breakfast served at 8:30 a.m. The breakfast was absolutely NOT a “full gourmet breakfast”. You had to serve yourself coffee and juices. The website mentioned “fresh bread, croissants, scones, or muffins”. There was nothing ever baked during our entire stay. A loaf of bread wrapped in cellophane was placed on the sideboard prior to breakfast. It was rock hard and seemed like store bought 2- or 3-day old bread. The jellies and peanut butter were put on the sideboard covered with a towel in the afternoon for breakfast the NEXT day. The jellies were sitting out for over 16 hours and oil separated from the peanut butter. That same old bread sat out on the sideboard for 3 consecutive days. Most people avoided the bread, except for an occasional slice. We noticed a box of skim milk was being used in lieu of coffee creamer. The “full gourmet breakfast” consisted of one small plate. We had 2 egg dishes and the other time pancakes. Definitely NOT a gourmet breakfast. One egg dish had slices of bread on the top and bottom. I assumed that it was possibly from the previous loaf of left-over bread. When asked if anyone wanted anything else, I was told that I wouldn’t be able to have more than my two pieces of bacon.

The sideboard contained jars of cereal and stale store bought chocolate chip cookies. Nothing freshly baked! The jar was never refilled with fresh cookies during our entire stay. The two other B&Bs pampered us for the Olympics and freshly baked treats were awaiting us when we returned in the evenings. The Corkscrew Inn was conveniently located for public transportation to downtown, however, the Corkscrew Inn is grossly Overrated on TripAdvisor!

4 Thank Orangeman73
corkscrewinn, Owner at Corkscrew Inn, responded to this review, 9 March 2010
I don't have much experience writing management responses, but the suggestion that we "misrepresent" our Inn on our website cannot pass unaddressed.

Of course we never want a guest to be unhappy or dissatisfied, and only wish we would be given the opportunity of resolving any problem or correcting any misconception at the time it occurs, before a grievance is aired in a public forum.

Many of our policies, like the shoe-free environment, came about as a result of feedback from guests. A heritage house is, by nature, not as soundproof as a concrete hotel, and when travel plans require people to be up and around late at night or early in the morning, other guests - and sleeping innkeepers - appreciate their consideration. For the same reason, we ask for relative quiet after 10pm.

Travellers seeking a non-hotel getaway experience tell us they welcome the absence of obvious clocks and televisions. (Of course, each room has a clock radio and flat-screen TV in its wardrobe and we will gladly set them up.)

It is tempting but futile, now, to take issue with the remaining points raised in this review. However, I feel impelled to stress that we are extremely careful with food safety. Guests unaccustomed to eating hearty artisan breads may find the crust substantial, but the notion that the same bread was left on the sideboard for three days is quite simply wrong. With a full house during the Olympics, we used even more loaves daily than usual, because many guests needed a self-serve breakfast before their early-morning (5am) departures for mountain venues.

We are proud of our Inn and gratified that so many of our guests are inspired to leave complimentary reviews on TripAdvisor.
vancouver USA
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Stayed at the Corkscrew for 4 days during the Olympics. We have stayed in many b&b's in the Pacific Northwest and this is the absolute best. The rooms were great (stayed in the Arizona and Art Deco)--well appointed, very clean and spacious. Karen was a wonderful host and extremely helpful when we wanted to extend an extra night. You can tell that she loves her job and takes great pride in the inn. Corkscrew is in a great Kits neighborhood, convenient to 4th floor and the the bus lines. Only 10 minutes from downtown, but out of the hustle-n-bustle. You get a much better sense of the real Vancouver.

East Northport, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2010

My wife and myself stayed at the Corkscrew Inn on Feb 11 for 2 nights. We were welcomed by karen (and daughter Lizzy) as soon as we entered the home. They showed us to our room- the British India room which was great! Clean, cozy, and a nice outdoor patio overlooking Grouse mountain in the distance. Downstairs, there was always snacks and drink for the guests to enjoy.. In the morning, Karen prepared fantastic breakfasts for the group-- Stuffed french toast, Salmon scrambled eggs, fresh breads...yummmmmm!!! It was perfect for a good start to our hectic day of walking, sightseeing, etc...Karen was EXTREMELY helpful in leading us to the perfect sights of both Kits beach area and Vancouver. She helped us with the bus system, which was the best way to downtown Vancouver and surrounding areas. It was definately a nice personable way to start our 6 day olympic adventure. I would stay at the Corkscrew Inn again on my next visit to Vancouver- which hopefully will be soon!

montreal
Reviewed 14 February 2010

discovered on the internet for a recent quick pre olympic visit,Corkscrew lives up to it's excellent reputation in all respects.. comfortable ,tasteful,and well located.. superior breakfasts served by a charming hostess.. just like a home away from home.. it will be our first choice for future trips .